In addition to looking drab and unhealthy, dry hair can lead to hair loss and dandruff. This is why you need to treat dry hair as soon as possible.
Hair becomes dry when the hair shafts do not absorb or retain enough moisture, resulting in a brittle, lackluster appearance. This can be due to illness or nutritional deficiencies, use of harsh hair products, excessively washing your hair, exposure to chlorinated water, and frequent use of heated styling tools or hair dye.
Taking good care of your hair, eating a healthy diet, using quality hair care products meant for your hair type and using some over-the-counter conditioners can prevent it from drying out. Plus, there are many simple home remedies that can help treat dry hair and restore its health and shine.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for dry hair.
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil is the most popular home remedy for dry hair. The rich vitamin E and antioxidant content present in olive oil help heal damaged hair by sealing the cuticle, or outer layer, with moisture. Olive oil can be used as a hot oil hair treatment to strengthen, add shine and restore moisture to very dry hair.
- Put enough olive oil for the length of your hair in a cup or bowl and slightly warm it in a microwave.
- Apply the warm oil thoroughly over your scalp and hair shafts. Massage your scalp gently for five to 10 minutes.
- Cover your hair with a warm towel and leave the oil on overnight, or at least for 30 minutes.
- Finally, shampoo and condition your hair with products suited to your hair type.
- Do this at least once a week to give your hair much-needed nourishment and care.
Note: You can also use coconut oil, almond oil, castor oil, jojoba oil or corn oil for this hot oil treatment.
Mayonnaise is an excellent ingredient for treating dry hair at home. It contains lots of protein that will help make your hair soft and shiny.
- Measure out one cup of full-fat mayonnaise. Apply a thick layer of it on slightly damp hair and scalp.
- Massage the mayonnaise into your scalp and then work it through your hair to the ends.
- Cover your hair and head with a plastic cap for about an hour.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with lukewarm water and then shampoo as usual.
- Repeat weekly to hydrate very dry hair.
Eggs are also very helpful for dry and damaged hair. A good source of protein and lecithin, eggs help strengthen and repair damaged and lifeless hair by adding moisture, shine, and texture to it.
- Whip an egg white thoroughly along with two tablespoons of lukewarm water. Apply the mixture to your damp hair and scalp and massage with your fingertips in a circular motion for 15 minutes. Then shampoo your hair with cool water. Do this once or twice a week, depending on the condition of your hair.
- Mix together three eggs, two tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of honey. Apply this mixture to damp hair and scalp. Cover your head with a shower cap for about 30 minutes, and then wash your hair with a mild shampoo and cool water. Do this once a week to make your hair soft and silky.
Beer works as an excellent hair conditioner. The protein in beer helps repair damaged hair cuticles and nourish hair follicles, which in turn makes your hair shiny and smooth.
- Shampoo your hair as usual and then spray a small amount of beer onto your hair. Allow your hair to dry on its own. When it is dry, your hair will look smooth and shiny.
- You can also spray beer onto your hair before blow drying or styling your hair.
Note: The smell of beer will not remain on your hair if you let your hair dry naturally.
The saturated fats, vitamins A and E, protein and various other minerals in avocado are highly beneficial for dry and damaged hair. Avocado also helps add moisture to dry hair shafts and strengthen your hair.
- Mash one ripe, peeled avocado. Mix in one teaspoon each of wheat-germ oil and jojoba oil to make a smooth paste. Apply the mixture on freshly washed hair, from the roots to the ends. Cover your hair with a shower cap. Leave it on for half an hour and then shampoo your hair with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy once or twice a week.
- Mash a ripe, peeled avocado and add two tablespoons of olive oil to it. Mix well until the consistency is thick and smooth. Shampoo and rinse your hair. Apply the mixture to your hair and leave it on for 30 minutes. Finally, rinse your hair. Do this once a week.
Bananas are another excellent ingredient for treating extremely dry and damaged hair. The high potassium and moisture content in bananas prevents split ends, and softens and improves the elasticity of your hair.
- Mash one ripe or overripe banana and spread it thoroughly on your hair, from the roots to the ends. Leave it on for up to an hour and then rinse your hair with lukewarm water. Do this once a week for effective results.
- Alternatively, mix one ripe or overripe banana, one tablespoon of almond oil and two tablespoons of honey. Apply this hair mask on your hair thoroughly. Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes and then rinse well with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy once week to enjoy smooth and shiny hair.
Honey is another great home remedy for dry hair. Honey can trap moisture in your hair, which will make it soft, shiny, and well nourished.
- Apply one-half cup of honey to freshly washed, damp hair and gently massage it into your scalp. Cover your head with a shower cap for 30 minutes. Rinse it out with lukewarm water. Do this twice a week for effective results.
- Mix four tablespoons of olive oil, two tablespoons of glycerin, and two tablespoons of honey. Use it as a conditioner after washing your hair. Do this whenever you feel your hair has become extremely dry.
- Another good trick is to mix some honey with the regular conditioner that you use after shampooing. Do this no more than once a week.
8. Aloe Vera
The unique combination of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids in aloe vera can greatly benefit dry and damaged hair.
- Mix one-half cup of aloe vera gel, two teaspoons each of castor oil and powdered fenugreek, and one teaspoon of basil powder. Mix the ingredients well and apply the mixture thoroughly onto your scalp and hair. Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it on overnight. In the morning, wash your hair with a mild shampoo. Do this at least once a week to see good results within a month or two.
- Alternatively, add two teaspoons of thick hibiscus flower paste to one-half cup of aloe vera gel. Blend the ingredients well and your homemade conditioner is ready to use. Regular use of this conditioner will give a shine and soft texture to your dry hair.
9. Sesame Oil
Due to its high content of nutrients and emollient-rich properties, sesame oil can combat hair dryness by protecting and healing the outer damaged layer of your hair. Plus, its antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties can help prevent hair loss.
- Mix two to three teaspoons of sesame oil with some grated ginger and massage it into your scalp for five to 10 minutes. Wrap your hair in a warm towel and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes. Then, shampoo your hair as usual. Do this once a week.
- Alternatively, mix one tablespoon each of beetroot juice, sesame oil and lemon juice. Apply the mixture to your scalp using your fingertips. Leave it on overnight and wash it off the next morning. Do this once a week.
Vinegar helps remove built-up residue left by shampoos and other products, which is one of the main causes of dry hair. Vinegar also helps restore the natural pH level of the scalp and prevents itching and dandruff, two common problems associated with dry hair.
- Mix one-half cup of vinegar with one cup of water. Use the solution to rinse your hair after washing it. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes and then rinse it out well. This remedy should be used only once a week.
- Alternatively, mix two cups of water with one and one-half cups of vinegar. Massage it into your hair after shampooing. Leave it on for up to an hour before rinsing with lukewarm water. Use this home treatment only once a week.
Note: Along with regular vinegar, you can also use apple cider vinegar to treat dry hair.
Try these home remedies to combat dry and lifeless hair. Consult a physician if your hair’s condition does not improve after a few weeks.
If you have other ideas for home remedies for dry hair, let us know. You can do this by leaving a note in the comments section below.
Coconut oil works best
Yeah the mayonnaise works really well to. IF YOU WANT TO GROW YOUR HAIR THEN USE AN ONION TREATMENT
I’ve been using olive oil 3 weeks from now and it works for my hair,,,,thanks to this page,,.)
Our mom used coconut oil treatment since we are kids.. it was really proven especially for me. My long black soft hair is one of my asset, people always noticed my hair, and im happy for that, they keep saying that its lovely and keep asking me if I always used to go to hair salon, I replied No , just a coconut oil for hair treatment and the right shampoo suit to my hair.
What type of coconut oil u apply on hair
Olive oil. Honey. Castor oil..coconut oil..a very ripe banana. I freez my bananas take them out of freezer.one at a time. When they get to ripe freez them. All these. Things help my hair.the castor oil is mix in with A good shampoo. . I use the veniger every 10 days. .. Olive oil . Castor oil& coconut oil. Really good. Helps dry hair. Love this home Remedy it has been a life saver for my hair. Thank you..
I m using olive oil n its vry gud..
Excellent tips.very useful
Thanks alot for ur all awesome remedies
Excellent results with olive oil
I am sure will try out olive oil.. Thks for great tips
Thanks. My hairs curly and needs a perk:)
Great! I use beer in my hair. For the 1st time of using it is very effective my hair is so smooth. We will try it twice a week. Thank u for the.tips.
thank u for ur comments.its very useful for me.thank u sooooooooooooooomuch
Just a note that the full fat mayonnaise and/or olive oil treatments are perfect for getting rid of and preventing your children from getting lice. I’ve used it for years and now my son uses it for his child. If lice cannot ‘stick’ to the hair, it cannot stay, and these products also smother live lice and kill them.
wonderful tips,truly works
Yes… Really.. Olive oil does work.. I use olive oil along wid almond oil.. My hair has become very soft , silky n shiny.. Thanks a lot!!
Omg olive oil is such a great remedy
Rice bran oil mixed with fenugreek oil and olive oil… Warmed and massaged into the hair and scalp. Covered with a hot towel… Once a week helps reduce breakage and soften hair… Its working for as I am trying to grow out my hair.
i can’t belive how my hair is too silky really its works well thankx alottt for this site its very useful one..!! i used olive oil and egg.. 🙂
I use the aloe vera mixed with egg that does a grate job
I use Henna ,black tea,honey & lemon juice. Works Great
I will certainly try these remedies as my hair is dry nd luks dull thnx guys
I have tried banana with milk and it really made my hair very soft.
I like the banana but sometimes I hate the smell of it.
I really need help,i’m a guy and i have grown my hair for quite a while,the allergy season hit me hard and my scalp got so dry,my hair are frizzy and brittle no matter how many hair masks that i tried they never worked,bought the most expensive cosmetic masks and stuff.
I wanna try a home remedy there are lots of recipes thank you for sharing them,i thought can i like mix all of them into one remedy like olive oil,banana,eggs mayonise etc like make a mixture of all since the more stuff the more minerals and ingredients?
I never tried coconut oil thinking of buying it and trying out.
If anyone could answer it would mean a lot and it would be much appreciated.
Thank you so much.
Dude hair also have a limit to contain amount of minerals and nutrients just do a little research bout your ingredients ok make sure u dont ens up bald ok just make sure u dont do anything wrong with your hair try mixture of aloveragell,honey and two capsules of vitamin e capsules of 400power this helped me to some extend and hope it helps u just try and make a pack of it for30 min on hair it may moisturize them and help them try it brother i tried it so i recommend may it help you too