9. Restless Leg Syndrome
Foot massage is also helpful in treating restless leg syndrome, a kind of neurological disorder. Restless leg syndrome can cause difficulty sleeping due to the unpleasant sensations like throbbing, pulling and the urge to move your legs.
Massage your feet with warm coconut oil to improve blood circulation, relax the nerves and help you sleep at night.
- Start by massaging the heels and ankles of your foot with the fleshy portion of both your hands.
- Then, massage in circular motions with gentle yet firm strokes, moving upward from the ankles.
- Do this daily for 10 minutes before going to bed.
10. Lowers Blood Pressure
High blood pressure, also called HBP or hypertension, can be controlled with regular foot massage. Studies have also found that foot refloxology may help reduce systolic blood pressure and triglyceride.
To treat HBP, it is important to massage the solar plexus reflex. This reflex point can be easily located by squeezing each side of your foot. The hollow that forms is where the solar plexus point is.
- Press this reflex point for a few seconds with your thumb and take a deep breath.
- Release the thumb and breathe out.
- Repeat on the other foot.
- Do it twice a week for several weeks.
Also, massage your entire foot for 10 minutes 2 or 3 times a week to notice improved mood, less anxiety and lower blood pressure.
Warning: Most people can benefit from regular foot massage. However, avoid foot massage if there are burns, open or healing wounds on your feet, fractures and severe osteoporosis.