Hydrogen peroxide has been a staple product in medicine cabinets and first aid kits for generations. It is simply water with an extra oxygen atom attached to it, creating a unique ratio to form a germicidal liquid. Scientifically, it is known as H202.
It comes in a variety of forms. While it is highly volatile in high concentrations, lower concentration varieties are highly beneficial for health as well as household use.
As an alternative treatment option, hydrogen peroxide serves as a disinfectant for disinfecting small wounds, cuts or grazes. It also fights bacterial and viral infections, eliminates toxins and kills germs.
For health and household use, the 3% concentration of hydrogen peroxide is what you need to use. In fact, the 3% hydrogen peroxide solution is what you’ll typically find at your pharmacy or drug store.
Here are the top 10 amazing uses of hydrogen peroxide.
1. Makes Teeth Pearly White
Hydrogen peroxide is hard to beat when it comes to whitening your yellow teeth. In fact, many of the toothpastes that promise white, shiny teeth contain hydrogen peroxide.
The mild bleaching effect of hydrogen peroxide can help make yellow teeth white and dramatically brighten your smile in a matter of weeks.
- Mix together equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and lukewarm water. Swish the solution around in your mouth for few seconds, then spit it out and rinse with regular water. Use this remedy 1 or 2 times daily until you get the desired result.
- Alternatively, mix a little hydrogen peroxide in ½ teaspoon of baking soda to make a paste. Dip a cotton swab in the mixture and apply it on your teeth. Rinse thoroughly with water. Use this remedy 1 or 2 times a week to keep your teeth pearly white.
Note: Make sure not to swallow the hydrogen peroxide. Also, use hydrogen peroxide with extra caution as it can irritate the gums and make your teeth sensitive.
2. Whitens Nails
If you have yellow nails and you want to whiten them, hydrogen peroxide is all that you need. The whitening property of hydrogen peroxide helps remove yellow stains from nails.
- Mix 3 to 4 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide into ½ cup of water. Soak your nails in the solution for 2 to 3 minutes. Then, gently scrub your nails using a soft toothbrush, and finally rinse them thoroughly with water. Do this once or twice a week for several months.
- For stubborn stains, dab some hydrogen peroxide directly on your nails using a cotton ball and lightly scrub them with a soft toothbrush.
As hydrogen peroxide can dehydrate your nails, rub some olive oil or coconut oil on your nails after using either of these remedies.
3. Eliminates Toenail Fungus
Hydrogen peroxide has antiseptic properties that help fight toenail fungus. Its antifungal property helps to quickly kill the fungus responsible for the problem.
Apart from toenail fungus, hydrogen peroxide can also help reduce or eliminate calluses and corns.
- Prepare a mixture of equal amounts of hydrogen peroxide and water.
- Put the solution in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on the affected toes before going to bed.
- Leave it on overnight.
- The next morning, wash the affected area in lukewarm water.
- Then, gently scrub the toenails with a soft toothbrush.
- Use this remedy daily for about a month to get rid of the infection completely.
4. Clears Up Acne
One of the skin problems that you can treat with hydrogen peroxide is acne.
Hydrogen peroxide oxidizes the environment to which it is applied. So, when you apply it to acne, it oxidizes the cell walls of bacteria and disrupts their chemical structure, which in turn kills them. Once the bacteria are destroyed, the acne will heal automatically.
Also, hydrogen peroxide reduces the risk of further breakouts by controlling the production of oil in your skin.
- Clean your skin with a gentle cleanser.
- Dip a cotton ball into hydrogen peroxide and dab it on the affected area.
- Allow it to sit for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Rinse it off and apply a light, oil-free moisturizer.
- Repeat 1 or 2 times a day until you get rid of the acne completely.
Note: Do not use hydrogen peroxide on sensitive skin.
5. Supports Oral Health
Hydrogen peroxide has antibacterial and antifungal properties, making it an effective agent for supporting oral health. It can control the growth of pathogens inside your mouth, which in turn reduces the risk of plaque, gingivitis and other oral problems.
It can even provide relief from a toothache, largely due to its antibacterial properties.
- Mix equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and water. Gargle with this solution for a couple of minutes, just like you would use a mouthwash. Spit it out, then rinse your mouth again with plain water.
- Alternatively, dip your toothbrush in hydrogen peroxide and brush your teeth as you normally do to keep your teeth germ-free.
You can even soak your toothbrush in hydrogen peroxide once in a while to keep it free of germs.
6. Loosens Earwax
Hydrogen peroxide helps get rid of excess earwax accumulation. Due to its effervescent property, hydrogen peroxide can remove earwax as well as dust and debris from the ear canal very easily.
It also helps reduce itching and the uncomfortable feeling in the ear due to the presence of excess earwax.
- Mix equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and water.
- Fill an ear dropper with the solution.
- Tilt your head sideways and put a few drops of the solution into your ear.
- Wait 5 minutes, then tilt your head to the opposite side to allow gravity to pull the solution out of your ear.
- Wipe away the earwax using a clean cloth.
7. Controls Candida Infections
Hydrogen peroxide is an effective natural cure for a candida infection, as it has antifungal and antibacterial properties.
As hydrogen peroxide breaks down into hydrogen and oxygen upon application, it helps eliminate the fungal yeast infection. This helps the body control the overgrowth of yeast naturally.
- Add 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide to 1 cup of water. Apply the solution on the affected area. Wait 10 minutes before rinsing the area with lukewarm water. Do this 1 or 2 times daily for a few days.
- For oral thrush, add 5 to 7 drops of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide to 1 cup of water. Gargle with it for a few minutes twice daily until the infection clears. Do not swallow the solution.
- For a vaginal yeast infection, mix 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide into lukewarm bathwater. Allow your body to soak in the solution for 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat once daily.
8. Cleans Up Mold
Mold infestation is something that can give sleepless nights to many. Mold and mildew can make you vulnerable to many health problems, from weak immunity to cancer.
You can stop the fungal growth that leads to mold with hydrogen peroxide. Its antifungal property helps kill the fungus responsible for mold without leaving any toxic residue.
- Pour hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle.
- Generously spray it on the mold-affected areas.
- Let it sit on the surface for 10 minutes.
- Scrub the area to get rid of the mold and mold stains.
- Finally, wipe the peroxide and mildew away.
- Repeat as needed.
9. Cleans Carpet Stain
Hydrogen peroxide also works as an excellent stain remover. It can help remove sauce, coffee, and even wine stains from your carpet.
It works as a natural bleach to remove the stain without breaking down the carpet dye.
- Blot up the wet stain with a paper towel.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon each of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide and liquid dish soap.
- Spray the solution over the stained area and gently rub it with a sponge.
- Clean up the traces of soap with water.
- Finally, pat dry the carpet with a cotton cloth and then with a paper towel. It will also help absorb the remaining traces of the stain.
10. Sanitizes Fruits and Vegetables
Hydrogen peroxide is a great way to remove residual pesticides from your fruits and vegetables. It can help get rid of the chemical exposure that has transformed your raw fruits and vegetables into harmful elements.
Eating produce exposed to pesticides poses significant risks, both directly and indirectly, to your health. Plus, hydrogen peroxide works as a natural disinfectant to kill bacteria such as E.coli. It also helps keep the produce fresh for longer.
- Pour hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle.
- Spray it over your produce.
- Allow it to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse off your produce in running water and pat dry thoroughly.
- Use as needed.