Most women love makeup, while equally despising the tedious task of removing it.
Whether you apply several layers of foundation or you prefer to keep things simple with just a little mascara and lip gloss, at the end of the day, it is important to get that makeup off.
For removing makeup, most of us rely on commercial products that are readily available in the market. However, such products may do more harm than good to your skin due to the chemicals in them.
For instance, alcohol-based removers can be especially irritating or drying to the skin. Some even contain various preservatives including formaldehyde, which can be an allergen.
So what is the solution? Opt for natural makeup removers that you can easily find in your kitchen cabinets or grocery aisle!
Here are 10 natural makeup removers that get the job done quickly.
1. Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a single ingredient that serves as a natural makeup remover, moisturizer, lip balm and much more. For these reasons, coconut oil is one ingredient that you must keep on hand.
This oil will cleanse your skin without drying it, and it is simply great at removing basically all types of makeup, from the darkest mascara to the most pigmented lipstick.
- Rub a small scoop of extra-virgin coconut oil between your palms to allow the oil to naturally melt into liquid form. Apply the liquid oil all over your face and massage gently. Wipe everything off your face with a cotton ball or tissue. Finally, rinse your face with lukewarm water to remove any excess oil and makeup.
- To remove eye makeup, put some coconut oil on a cotton pad and wipe off your eye makeup with it.
Note: Those who are prone to acne should not use coconut oil.
Milk also works as an excellent makeup remover and is much cheaper than most drug-store removers.
It is a well-known fact that milk is great for your skin. The fat and protein content of whole milk helps to hydrate your skin and enable it to retain moisture.
- Put some milk into a small bowl and dip a cotton ball in it.
- Squeeze the cotton ball to release the excess liquid.
- Rub this cotton ball on your face to remove your makeup.
- Finally, rinse with water for a makeup-free face.
3. Aloe Vera
To avoid commercial makeup removers and their harmful chemicals that can be damaging to your skin, you can use aloe vera to remove your makeup at the end of the day.
The slippery aloe vera gel can easily collect makeup residue and leave your skin clean. It even gives the skin a radiant glow.
Additionally, it is readily available and suitable for all skin types.
- Put a dollop of freshly extracted aloe vera gel onto a cotton ball.
- Swipe the cotton ball all around your face to remove your makeup.
- Finally, rinse your face with water, pat dry and apply a light moisturizer before going to bed.
4. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
Extra-virgin olive oil is another effective natural makeup remover. It can remove even the toughest waterproof makeup. At the same time, it will keep your skin well-moisturized.
Also, olive oil suits any skin type.
- Apply some extra-virgin olive oil over your face and massage your face. After sometime, wipe your face thoroughly with cotton balls and you are done.
- In 1 cup of water, add 1 teaspoon each of extra-virgin olive oil and baby shampoo. Mix them thoroughly and use as needed.
Yogurt is another kitchen staple that is great for your skin and serves a number of different purposes, from keeping your skin moisturized to relieving sunburns.
Well, this protein-rich natural product is also one of the best solutions to remove makeup.
- Dip a clean cotton ball into some plain yogurt.
- Rub it all over your face in a circular motion.
- Repeat with another cotton ball dipped in yogurt, if needed.
- Finally, rinse your face with cool water.
6. Rose Water
Rose water works as a great natural makeup remover for all skin types. Plus, it helps cleanse your skin and works as an effective facial toner.
Plus, it helps add a radiant glow to your skin.
To use rose water, simply put it on a cotton pad and gently wipe your face with it to remove all your makeup.
Did you know you can make your own rose water at home? Check out this post to follow the procedure.
7. Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil is used as a moisturizer, cuticle cream and even as a warm hair mask, but you can also use it as a natural makeup remover. It can effectively remove all types of makeup, including waterproof varieties.
This oil is a very gentle, pH-balancing and non-clogging makeup remover that people with sensitive or acne-prone skin can also use.
- Dip a cotton pad in jojoba oil and gently wipe it over your closed eyes and face.
- Finally, wipe off the oil with a wet wipe.
Many commercial makeup removers use cucumber as one of the main ingredients. So, why not use real cucumber to do the task every night?
The anti-inflammatory and oil-busting properties of cucumber also make it perfect to use as a toner after washing your face.
- Extract some cucumber juice into a bowl and store it in a spray bottle. Spray the juice on your face, then use a muslin cloth to gently clean your skin. Finally, rinse your face with clean water.
- For removing heavy or waterproof makeup, mix cucumber juice with olive oil in a ratio of 2:1. Rub it on your face and clean it off with wipes. Finish by cleaning your face with plain water.
If you wish to moisturize your skin while you clean your makeup off your face, look no further than your favorite fruit – banana.
Its moisturizing property will keep the skin moisturized, while the enzymes in it will do the work to remove makeup, dirt and grime from deep down in your pores.
- Mash a ripe banana into a paste.
- Add a little honey to the paste and mix well.
- Apply this paste on your face like a mask.
- Allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Finally, rinse it off with a warm washcloth for smooth, clean skin.
Avocado is great at removing stubborn eye makeup. Plus, the omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins A, D and E in avocado work as a great moisturizing eye cream.
- Put a spoonful of ripe avocado in a bowl and dip a cotton swab in it.
- Gently swipe it across your eyes to remove your eye makeup.
- Finally, use a wet wipe to clean your eyes.