For a perfect pout, you need soft and smooth lips!
If your lips are chapped, dry and flaky, getting that pretty pout is impossible. Well, you can find a solution using some common ingredients from your kitchen cupboard. You can use these ingredients to make your own homemade lip scrubs.
Just like your face, your lips also need to be exfoliated regularly to remain soft and supple.
Lip exfoliation is a good way to get rid of flaky, dead, chapped or dry skin from your lips and even out their texture. Exfoliation also minimizes any dark spots on your lips.
After exfoliation, your lips will look healthy and beautiful!
Here are the top 10 homemade lip scrubs to say goodbye to chapped lips.
Sugar is one of the most readily available kitchen ingredients that can be used to make a good body scrub as well as an effective lip scrub.
Its grainy texture can scrape away dead skin cells from the lips. For a lip scrub, it’s best to use brown sugar, which is little softer than white granulated sugar. If you have sensitive or sore lips, try superfine (caster) sugar, which has extra-small, gentle grains.
- Mix a pinch of sugar with a few drops of honey to make an instant lip scrub. Apply this coarse mixture on your lips and gently scrub for 1 to 2 minutes. Wash it off with warm water, then moisturize with your lip balm.
- Alternatively, combine equal amounts of sugar, olive oil and lemon juice and mix thoroughly. Use this mixture to gently scrub your lips. Wipe it off with a tissue and splash warm water on your lips. Finish by applying some lip balm.
Use either of these homemade sugar lip scrubs once or twice a week.
To eliminate the dead skin cells from your lips and leave them moisturized, honey mixed with sugar is one of the best remedies.
The moisturizing nature of honey helps restore the lost moisture in your lips to prevent painful cracks. It can help restore their natural pink glow, too.
Plus, it helps reduce the risk of infection from cracked lips.
- Mix together 1 teaspoon of honey and a little sugar. Scrub your flaky lips with this mixture in circular motions with your fingertips for 2 to 3 minutes, then leave it on for 5 minutes. Clean up your lips with fresh water. Pat dry and apply some coconut oil. Use this scrub once a week.
- Alternatively, mix ½ teaspoon each of honey, plain yogurt and gram flour to make a paste. Apply the paste on your lips and leave it on for 10 minutes. Scrub off the paste using your fingers and rinse your lips with lukewarm water. Repeat this remedy once a week.
You can also apply some pure honey on your lips and leave it overnight to enjoy well-hydrated lips.
Almonds are another widely used ingredient for making a soothing and effective lip scrub.
The soothing and moisturizing nature of almonds also supports lip health and makes them soft and supple. Plus, almonds help lighten dark lips.
- In a small bowl, put 1 teaspoon of coarsely ground almonds.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of refined sugar, honey and almond oil.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Apply this homemade lip scrub on your lips.
- Wait 2 minutes, then use a soft-bristled toothbrush to gently scrub your lips.
- Rinse off your lips with lukewarm water, pat dry and apply some almond oil.
- Use this remedy 1 or 2 times a week.
Also, you can massage your lips with a mixture of equal amounts of castor oil and almond oil daily before going to bed to enjoy soft and pink lips.
Juicy strawberries are also beneficial for your lips. They can help get rid of dead skin cells and make your dark lips into rosy pink lips.
Also, the vital minerals and vitamins in strawberries help keep your lips healthy and vibrant.
- Cut a ripe strawberry in half. Lightly smash the halved part and scrub your lips with it for a couple of minutes. Leave the strawberry pulp on your lips for 10 minutes then, rinse it off with lukewarm water. Use this remedy 2 or 3 times a week.
- Another option is to mix together ½ tablespoon of mashed strawberries and a little honey. Apply the paste on your lips and scrub gently. Leave it on for 10 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this once or twice a week.
5. Rose Petals
The beautiful rose flower that blooms in your garden is another secret ingredient to make an effective homemade lip scrub.
The soothing, cooling and moisturizing properties of rose petals are highly beneficial for dry and chapped lips. Rose petals also add a natural pink tint to your dark lips.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of rose petal paste and 1 teaspoon of milk cream.
- Mix thoroughly and apply this paste on your lips.
- Wait 5 minutes, then gently scrub using a soft-bristle toothbrush or just your fingers.
- Rinse off your lips with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy 2 times a week.
6. Coffee Grounds
Coffee grounds are another excellent ingredient for making a homemade lip scrub. The texture of coffee grounds is soft and gentle on the lips, yet strong enough to get rid of flaky skin.
Plus, the aroma of coffee grounds is invigorating, making it a very popular choice!
- In a small bowl, put 1 teaspoon of coarsely ground coffee.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey and a little olive oil.
- Mix thoroughly and apply this homemade coffee scrub on your lips.
- Massage your lips for a couple of minutes, then the mixture on your lips for 5 minutes.
- Rinse well with lukewarm water.
- Pat dry and apply a lip balm.
- Do this once a week.