Fuller’s earth is a staple ingredient used in the beauty industry. Manufacturers of herbal products often use this natural ingredient in their skin and hair products.
Also known as multani mitti, fuller’s earth is a type of clay that contains various minerals, including magnesium, quartz, silica, iron, calcium, calcite and dolomite.
Mostly available in powdered form, it comes in different colors, such as white, green, blue, brown or olive.
Nature has provided this magical product to take care of all your hair and skin woes. It has oil-absorbing, cleansing and antiseptic properties that make it very helpful in treating various hair and skin conditions. This wallet-friendly natural ingredient is safe to use and there are no side effects.
Here are the top 10 benefits of fuller’s earth.
1. Absorbs Excess Oil from Skin
Being a natural absorbent, fuller’s earth can be used to remove excess oil from oily skin. It can also unclog skin pores and balance the natural pH level of the skin. It’s commonly used as a homemade face pack.
- Mix together equal amounts of fuller’s earth, rose water, and sandalwood powder.
- Apply this mixture on your face as a face pack.
- Let it dry out naturally, and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat daily for very oily skin, or two or three times a week for moderately oily skin.
2. Removes Scars
Fuller’s earth can reduce the appearance of wound scars, minor burn marks or any other kind of scars to a great extent.
- Mix together ½ tablespoon each of fuller’s earth, vitamin E oil and lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture on the scar.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes, and then wash it off.
- Do this once or twice a week until the scar fades away.
3. Improves Skin Complexion
Fuller’s earth is an excellent cleansing agent that can improve your skin complexion.
- Mix together two tablespoons of fuller’s earth and curd.
- Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes.
- Add one teaspoon of mint powder and blend the mixture well.
- Apply the mixture on your face and neck area.
- Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes, and then wash it off with warm water.
- Use regularly, twice a week, to notice a huge improvement in your skin complexion.
This paste can also be used on arms and legs to enhance their complexion. This remedy is equally helpful for a suntan.
4. Treats Acne
If you struggle with acne and pimples, Fuller’s earth can surely solve your problem. It helps get rid of clogged pores and reduces excess oil secretion, two main causes of acne and pimples.
- Mix two teaspoons of fuller’s earth, one teaspoon of neem leaf paste, and enough rose water to make a thick paste. Optionally, add a pinch of camphor.
- Apply the paste over the affected area.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes, and then wash it off with plain water.
- Pat your skin dry with a soft towel and apply a mild moisturizer.
- Use this remedy once a week to keep your skin acne free.
5. Improves Skin Elasticity
Droopy or sagging skin due to age is a common problem. Fuller’s earth can improve skin elasticity to help tighten and keep your skin smooth.
- Mix one tablespoon each of fuller’s earth, glycerin and honey to make a smooth paste. Mix in one beaten egg white.
- Apply the paste on your face.
- Relax without moving your facial muscles until the paste dries naturally. Then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Use this remedy once a week.
6. Treats Dandruff
For ages, people have used fuller’s earth to treat dandruff. It absorbs oil, grease and dirt that cause dandruff. Plus, it facilitates blood circulation in the scalp, which is essential to keep the scalp clean and free of flakes.
- Make a hair pack with equal amounts of orange peel powder and fuller’s earth. Apply it on your scalp and hair. Leave it on for 20 minutes, and then wash it off with water. Use a mild shampoo to wash your hair. Follow this home treatment once or twice a week to reduce dandruff effectively.
- Another option is to mix four teaspoons of fuller’s earth and two teaspoons each of lemon juice and honey in one-half cup of plain yogurt. You can also add a few drops of water to get a better consistency of the paste. Apply it on your hair and scalp and leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing it off. Finally, shampoo and condition your hair. Do this once or twice a week.
7. Prevents Split Ends
It is a well-known fact that fuller’s earth is a good substitute for shampoo. It can also be used as a conditioner to prevent spit ends.
- Simply wash your hair with fuller’s earth from time to time to keep your hair moisturized and prevent split ends. It will also makes your hair smooth, shiny, and promote hair growth as it stimulates circulation.
- If you already have split ends, use a hot olive oil treatment, and then wash your hair with a mixture of fuller’s earth and milk (enough to make a smooth paste). The next day, wash your hair with a mild shampoo. Do this once or twice a week.
8. Straightens Hair
For straighter, thicker and less frizzy hair, fuller’s earth will work wonders.
- Mix one cup of fuller’s earth, five teaspoons of rice flour, one egg white and enough water to make a thin paste.
- Before going to bed, oil your hair with almond oil, olive oil, or any other hair oil.
- The next morning, comb your hair four or five times with a wide comb, and then apply the hair pack on your scalp and hair. While applying the pack, keep combing your hair to keep it as straight as possible.
- Leave it on for 40 minutes, and then wash it off with water.
- Use a spray bottle to spray about one-half cup of milk on your hair.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes, and then wash your hair with a mild shampoo followed by a conditioner.
- You hair will remain straight and bouncy until your next hair wash routine.
9. Relieves Tired Limbs
When your arms or legs are tired and hurt, use a fuller’s earth paste to stimulate blood circulation. Soon, you will feel less tired. The increased circulation can also benefit the heart, muscles and arteries throughout the body.
- Mix fuller’s earth and sufficient water to make a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected body parts.
- Allow it to dry on its own, and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Use this remedy once a week or a few times a month.
10. Removes Dead Skin
Fuller’s earth also helps exfoliate dry flakes and dirt from your skin. You can prepare a moisturizing face mask that will help cleanse the skin and keep it well moisturized. It is highly effective for those who have dry skin.
- Mix one tablespoon each of fuller’s earth, honey and glycerin to make a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on your face, allow it to dry naturally, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Use this face mask once a week.
To sum up, fuller’s earth is immensely helpful in beautifying your skin and nourishing your hair so you don’t need to spend your hard-earned money in the beauty parlor. Next time you are shopping for beauty products, do not forget to buy fuller’s earth.