Olive oil is very healthy and has many health benefits. This oil, which is made by pressing olives and extracting their oil, comes in many different forms and has many beauty uses, too.
Now, instead of just using olive oil in a salad dressing or stir-fry dish, you can also add olive oil to your beauty routine for immense benefits to your skin, hair, and nails.
According to the International Olive Council, olive oil is rich in many vitamins, including A, D, K, and E that play an important role in enhancing your beauty (1).
In fact, the oil is used as an essential ingredient in several facial cleansing products, hair care products, soaps, body washes, and lotions.
Here are 10 beauty uses of olive oil.
1. Keeps Skin Moisturized
Olive oil has moisturizing properties that help keep the skin of your face as well as body soft, smooth, and moisturized. In fact, the oil easily penetrates deep into the skin, so it keeps your skin soft and smooth for a long time. It is highly beneficial for those who have dry skin.
Moreover, the natural lipids in olive oil contribute to sebum production. Sebum is the body’s natural lubricant. Also, it can repair damaged skin cells.
A 2016 study published in the journal Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology concludes that olive oil microemulsions are an attractive formulation in the cosmetic development studies and could be used as a delivery system for cosmetic ingredients or biologically active compounds. The skin irritation and moisturizing test in human subjects are suggested for further study (2).
- After taking a shower or a bath, lightly pat dry your skin. Use olive oil as a moisturizer and massage it into your skin when it is still slightly damp.
- Alternatively, apply olive oil all over your face, hands, and legs at bedtime to enjoy moisturized and supple skin in the morning.
2. Fights Premature Skin Aging
As you age, your skin will show signs of wrinkles and fine lines. But with olive oil, you can keep these aging signs at bay.
Vitamin E, a strong antioxidant present in olive oil, aids the regeneration of new skin cells that help keep the skin plump and moisturized. Also, it can tighten the skin to prevent the premature signs of aging.
Plus, the monounsaturated fatty acids in it rejuvenate your skin to help you enjoy younger-looking skin.
A study published in PLoS One in 2012 supports the beneficial effect of dietary olive oil or healthy diet habits associated with olive oil consumption on the severity of facial photoaging (3).
- For daily treatment, gently massage some lukewarm olive oil on your face, neck, hands, and legs for at least 5 minutes. Do this every night before going to bed.
- Another option is put 2 tablespoons of organic raw honey, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and ½ cup of ripe papaya pulp in a container. Mix well and apply it on your face. Let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse the mixture off with warm water. Use it once or twice a week.
3. Soothes a Sunburn
If your skin is sunburned, try olive oil. It can help heal even a severe sunburn.
The soothing and moisturizing nature of olive oil helps reduce inflammation and revitalize the skin. It also prevents skin peeling, a common symptom of sunburn.
With regular use, olive oil can reduce the severity of sun damage to your skin and keep it healthy.
- A 2011 study published in Pharmacognosy Review reports that olive oil blocks out about 20% of UV rays (4). Simply rub some olive oil on the sunburned area and leave it on for a few hours. Rinse it off with cool water. Use it a few times daily for several days to promote healing.
- You can also add some olive oil to a warm bath and soak your body in it for at least 30 minutes. Do this once daily.
4. Promotes Healthy Hair
Be it hair loss or thinning hair, olive oil can be highly beneficial for your hair’s health. In fact, the oil is the answer to many hair problems.
Its moisturizing nature promotes healthy hair growth. Also, the oil penetrates deep into the hair shafts and softens scalp tissue to treat scalp inflammation.
- Massage your scalp with some lukewarm olive oil in circular motions for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Leave it on overnight.
- The next morning, shampoo your hair as usual.
- Do it 2 or 3 times a week.
5. Adds Shine to Hair
If you wish to add shine to dull and lifeless hair, olive oil is very effective.
The oil helps restore moisture to dry and damaged hair, in turn making it shiny and healthy.
Also, it can help tame frizzy hair that is hard to manage.
- Apply warm olive oil on your hair, from the root to the ends. Massage it into your scalp and hair for a few minutes, then put on a shower cap for 30 minutes. Rinse your hair with water, then shampoo and condition as usual. Do this 2 or 3 times a week.
- Alternatively, add 1 egg white to 1 tablespoon of olive oil and beat it thoroughly until you get a smooth paste. Apply this paste on your damp hair and scalp. Cover your head with a shower cap for about 30 minutes. Then, wash your hair with a mild shampoo and cool water. Do it once a week.
6. Fades Dark Circles
You can use olive oil to get rid of dark circles under your eyes, too. Olive oil has polyphenols, vitamin E, and phytosterols that help brighten your skin and remove dark spots.
It also helps nourish the tender skin around your eyes and softens fine lines.
- Gently dab some olive oil under your eyes and massage gently for a few minutes before going to bed. The next morning, wash the area with water. Repeat once daily.
- Another option is to mix equal amounts of olive oil and lemon juice. Mix them well and apply it on the dark circles around your eyes. Leave it on for 10 minutes, then wash your face with lukewarm water. Do it 1 or 2 times a day.