Bikinis, shorts and mini-skirts get nearly daily wear in the summertime. But for women who have a dark bikini line, such clothing could be a major turn off.
Discoloration between the thighs and the pubic area is a cosmetic issue that causes embarrassment, but fortunately it is usually not a medical issue.
Hyperpigmentation of the bikini line can be due to several reasons, the most common being genetic factors. Some people are more likely to develop excess pigmentation in this area than others.
Other common causes include overexposure to harmful ultraviolet (UV) sunrays, some type of skin disease, wearing polyester underwear, regular shaving and constant friction between the thighs due to wearing clothes that are too tight.
Excessive sweating and accumulation of dead skin can also contribute to this problem.
As the skin of the pubic area is very delicate, it is not a good idea to use commercial skin-whitening or bleaching products that contain a lot of chemicals.
This does not mean you need to compromise your summer fashion. You can very well get rid of the embarrassing dark skin at home, using common ingredients from your kitchen.
There are many easy and natural methods to lighten this delicate skin. These methods may take some time, so you need to start early in the season and have patience to get positive results.
Here are the top 10 ways to easily lighten the dark skin along your bikini line.
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a popular natural skin lightener. When used on a regular basis, it can help skin become lighter and fade different skin spots. It even helps repair skin cells and promotes natural regeneration.
According to a 2010 study published in the Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, among many skin benefits of aloe vera, it can clear dark spots and even make the skin clear (1).
- Extract the gel from an aloe vera leaf.
- Apply it directly on the dark pubic area.
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes, then wash it off with water.
- Use this natural treatment once daily for quick results.
2. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice works as a great skin-lightening remedy, thanks to its acidic property. The vitamin C in it helps get rid of dead cells and improve overall skin tone. It also stimulates regeneration of healthy skin cells.
You can use either of these remedies daily until you are satisfied with the results.
- Cut a lemon in half and rub the inner part along your bikini line for a couple of minutes. Allow the juice to remain on the skin for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water.
- Mix the juice from ½ of a lemon with 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt and ½ teaspoon of honey. Apply it to the delicate area. Leave it on for 10 minutes, then rinse the area with water.
As lemon juice can dry out your skin, apply a moisturizer or just coconut oil after using these remedies.
Note: Avoid applying lemon juice if you’ve recently waxed your bikini area, as it can lead to skin irritation. Also, do not expose your skin to the sun for 1 to 2 days after using either of the lemon juice remedies.
3. Cucumber Juice
Cucumber juice has skin-lightening properties. The vitamin A in cucumbers helps reduce skin darkness by controlling your skin’s production of melanin.
Plus, the high water content helps keep the skin hydrated and glowing.
- Extract the juice from ½ of a cucumber and apply it all over your bikini area. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water. Repeat twice daily for quick results.
- Alternatively, mix 2 tablespoons of cucumber juice with ½ tablespoon each of lemon juice and turmeric powder. Apply it to your dark pubic area. Keep it on the skin for 10 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water. Repeat once daily.
4. Orange Peel
Instead of throwing away the peels after eating oranges, you can use them for their skin-lightening properties. The peels work as a natural bleach and can help lighten dark blotches and remove them over time. They can even help lighten a suntan.
The peels contain more vitamin C than the orange pulp itself. This vitamin plays a key role in combating free-radical damage that destroys functioning skin cells and can make your skin shine with a glow.
- Put peels from a couple of oranges in the sun to dry.
- Once dry, grind the peels into a fine paste.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of orange peel powder and 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt. You can also add a little honey to the mixture.
- Apply it over your bikini line where you have dark skin.
- Allow it to dry, then scrub off the paste with wet hands.
- Finally, rinse the area with cool water.
- Repeat two times a week.
Tomatoes have a bleaching effect and hence act as a skin-lightening agent. The lycopene, an antioxidant in tomatoes, helps protect skin against sun damage. It makes skin less sensitive to UV damage, one of the main causes of a dark bikini line.
It can even help get rid of dead skin from the bikini area as well as other body parts.
- Rub a piece of tomato in circular motions on the dark skin for a couple of minutes.
- Allow the juice to remain on the skin for 10 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water.
- Repeat once daily.
Both whole almonds and almond oil can help lighten and even out your skin tone in the bikini area.
The high vitamin E and A content as well as the essential fatty acids in almond oil help nourish, soothe and moisturize your skin. Whole almonds are beneficial for exfoliating and softening the skin.
- Soak 5 or 6 whole almonds overnight. The next morning, grind them into a smooth paste. Mix 1 tablespoon of whole milk into the paste and apply it on the affected skin. Wait 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse gently while rubbing the paste around in circular motions. Repeat 2 or 3 times a week for best results.
- Also, massage the area with warm almond oil for about 5 minutes daily before going to bed.
Milk is another natural skin lightener that you can definitely use to lighten the dark skin in your pubic area. The lactic acid in milk helps reduce the skin’s pigmentation, resulting in a lighter complexion. It also helps keep the skin well-moisturized.
- Put a cup of cold milk in a bowl.
- Dip a cotton cloth in it.
- Put this dipped cloth over the dark skin for 5 minutes.
- Repeat the process a few more times.
- Finally, massage the area gently for a few minutes and then rinse it with water.
- Repeat this remedy at least twice daily to get quick results.
8. Baking Soda
You can also try using baking soda to help lighten the skin along your bikini line, provided you do not have sensitive skin . Its fine, grainy texture works as a perfect exfoliator to get rid of dead skin cells.
It even prevents excess sweating, one of the causes of skin discoloration along skin folds.
- Mix together baking soda and water in a ratio of 3:1 to form a paste.
- Apply it on the dark skin area and allow it to dry.
- Rinse it off with cool water.
- Use this remedy 2 times a week only.
Note: Those who have sensitive skin should not use this remedy.
The enzyme papain in papayas helps get rid of skin darkness. This enzyme offers a natural bleaching property that helps even out the skin tone. It also accelerates shedding of dead skin cells that cause the bikini area to appear darkened.
Plus, the high vitamin C content in papayas protects skin cells against sun damage.
Use either of these remedies daily or every other day.
- Rub ¼ cup of ripe papaya pulp on the dark area of your bikini line for 5 minutes. Allow the papaya juice to work its magic for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water.
- Blend ¼ cup of green papaya and ½ teaspoon each of vitamin E oil, honey and plain yogurt into a paste. Gently massage the paste onto your skin. Allow it to sit for 15 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water.
Sandalwood is another very effective solution for lightening the skin of your bikini area. It can enhance skin complexion as well as treat hyperpigmentation. It can give your skin a natural, even tone.
- Squeeze the juice from ½ of a lemon into 3 to 4 teaspoons of sandalwood powder.
- Mix thoroughly to make a smooth paste.
- Add a little rose water if the paste is too thick.
- Apply it on the affected skin before going to bed and leave it on overnight.
- Wash it off in the morning with cool water.
- Repeat daily until your skin looks lighter.
- Exfoliate around the delicate pubic area once a week to get rid of dead skin cells and prevent skin irritation.
- When wearing a bikini or shorts, apply a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 to prevent the exposed skin from darkening.
- Wear breathable, cotton underwear that is loose and comfortable.
- Do not shave the pubic area or use hair-removal lotions, which can damage the delicate skin. Waxing is a better option for hair removal in this area, and it will not cause any skin discoloration.
- Use only mild soap to clean the delicate skin of the pubic area.
- Eat a healthy diet that includes a variety of fruits and vegetables, whole-grain cereals and lean meat for overall healthy skin.
- Drink an ample amount of water to flush out toxins and keep your skin smooth and properly hydrated.
- Aloe vera: A Potential Herb and its Medicinal Importance. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. http://www.jocpr.com/articles/aloe-vera–a-potential-herb-and-its-medicinal-importance.pdf.