We’ve all tried tricks to hide a double chin—wearing a high-neck top or scarf and tilting our heads just right when our photo is taken.
There’s no denying it. The extra layer of fatty tissue under our chins is most often caused by being overweight. Sagging skin under the chin can also occur as we age and our skin loses elasticity. For a few, it can be genetic.
While there are surgical procedures that can eliminate a double chin, they can be expensive. There are many simple home treatment options to get rid of a double chin that are pocket-friendly and painless.
Needless to say, you also need to reduce excess weight with proper diet and exercise.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of a double chin.
1. Sugar Free Gum
To get rid of a double chin, it is essential to keep your facial muscles toned and give the muscles in your jaw line a workout.
One of the best ways to do that is to chew sugarless gum. Sugar free chewing gum can even help you maintain healthy teeth and gums.
Simply chew sugarless gum several times a day to reduce your double chin as quickly as possible.
2. Cocoa Butter
When cocoa butter is used regularly, it will improve the elasticity of your skin and help get rid of your double chin.
- Slightly warm a few tablespoons of cocoa butter in the microwave.
- Gently massage it into your neck and double chin for several minutes.
- Do this twice a day, before taking a bath in the morning and every night before going to bed.
3. Wheat Germ Oil
Regular neck massage with wheat germ oil is another effective way to get rid of a double chin.
Wheat germ oil has the goodness of vitamin E oil that will nourish and help tighten the skin.
- Before going to bed, rub some wheat germ oil gently around the chin area.
- Gently massage upwards from the bottom of the neck to the chin for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Leave the oil on your skin overnight.
- Repeat regularly to soon notice improvement in the appearance of your double chin.
4. Egg Whites
An egg white mask can be of great help in getting rid of a double chin because it has a skin tightening effect. Egg whites are also good for the overall health of the skin.
- Whisk together two egg whites, one tablespoon each of milk, honey and lemon juice.
- Add a few drops of peppermint essential oil.
- Apply this mask to the skin around your chin and neck area.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water and pat dry your skin.
- Do this once daily for quick results.
You can also make a natural mask with glycerin to get rid of a double chin.
- Make a mask by mixing one tablespoon of glycerin, one-half tablespoon of Epsom salt and a few drops of peppermint oil.
- Use a cotton pad to apply it on the neck and chin area.
- Leave it on for several minutes so that it absorbs into the skin.
- Wash the area thoroughly with cool water.
- Do this three to five times a week to get positive results.
6. Chin Exercises
Chin exercises can help stretch and tone your face, neck, and jaw muscles, thereby helping you get rid of your double chin. They will also strengthen your chin and neck muscles and relieve stiffness.
- While keeping your spine erect, slowly tilt your head back until you are looking at the ceiling and then pucker up your lips in a pout. Hold this position for five counts and then release. Repeat 5 to 10 times in a row. Do this daily at least for a few weeks.
- Another exercise involves gently turning your head clockwise and then anticlockwise, keeping your spine straight all the while. Do 5 to 10 repetitions of this exercise, about three times a day for several weeks.
Note: You can do these exercises while sitting or standing but make sure to keep your spine erect.
7. Green Tea
Green tea contains potent antioxidants and various components that speed up your metabolism rate. This will help you burn extra calories and lose weight.
Start your day with a cup of green tea and drink several cups throughout the day. Green tea is available in different flavors, so you can choose one that suits your taste.
8. Vitamin E
Another way to get rid of a double chin is to increase your daily intake of vitamin E. It will increase your skin’s elasticity and the general health of the skin.
Vitamin E is found in many food sources like green leafy vegetables, wheat germ oil, dairy products, brown rice, barley, legumes, nuts and seeds, beans, soybeans, peanuts and liver.
- Include foods rich in vitamin E as much as possible in your daily diet.
- You can also take a daily vitamin E supplement. Consult a doctor first for proper dosage.
9. Milk Massage
Milk massage can also be used to tighten and tone the skin around the chin area. Plus, applying milk will also keep your skin soft and beautiful.
- Apply milk on your chin, massage for a few minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Repeat several times a day for several weeks.
- Another option is to make a mask with milk and honey. Mix the ingredients well and apply it over the chin area. Leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy once daily.
Melon, too, can help tone the skin and reduce a double chin.
- Extract fresh melon juice. Use a cotton ball to apply it to the skin around the chin and neck and then massage. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off with water. For best results, combine melon juice with apple juice and use it to massage the soft tissue around your jaw line.
- Also, eat more melon as it is high in water content. This will help to flush out toxins from your body and also aid weight loss.
- Drink plenty of water and eat more foods with high water content like melon, cucumbers, lettuce and celery. At the same time, limit your consumption of coffee, alcohol, tea and carbonated drinks. Adequate fluid intake will help reduce water retention contributing to puffy face.
- Improve your sitting posture; keep your head up, neck erect and body straight.
- Include cardio exercises and weight training in your workout regime.
- Pay attention to your diet to avoid fatty foods and restrict your calorie intake.
- Until you get rid of your double chin (which will take some time), use smart tricks like a beautiful and strategic hairstyle such as layered waves, long bob or maybe an angled haircut to make your double chin less noticeable.
Following these remedies can help you get rid of your double chin. Just keep in mind to follow the tips regularly without fail to get positive results.