The most common cause of a black eye is a blow to the face. Black eyes can cause pain, blurry vision, swelling and headaches. It is a sort of bruising to the tissues around the eyes.
Black eye and swelling around the eyes can also occur for a variety of reasons such as nasal injuries, facelifts, jaw surgery, allergic reactions, etc.
The following remedies can help you quickly get rid of a black eye. However, if the skin around your eye is cut or you are having symptoms like dizziness, nausea or vomiting along with vision problems, you should consult your doctor immediately.
1. Ice Pack
The first thing you need to do is apply an ice pack to the affected area as soon as possible.
Ice will help reduce the swelling and constrict the blood vessels to reduce internal bleeding and further bruising. It will also speed up the healing process.
- Wrap ice cubes in a clean cotton or muslin cloth.
- Hold it over the eye for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat the process several times a day during the first 48 hours.
This also will help relieve pain. Never use ice directly on the eyes and do not rub the ice pack on delicate skin like that around your eyes. Instead of ice, you can also use a packet of frozen vegetables.
2. Warm Compress
After one or two days of getting a black eye, you need to apply warm compresses. This will help increase blood flow to the tissues around the eye and accelerate the healing process.
- Dip a clean cloth in warm water, and squeeze out the excess water.
- Put the warm cloth on the affected eye until the cloth becomes cool.
- Repeat the process several times a day.
If it doesn’t cause pain, you can also massage the area gently. This will help improve blood circulation and remove the dried blood accumulated under the skin.
3. Vitamin C
When suffering from a black eye, it is very important to include foods with vitamin C in your diet.
There are many food items rich in vitamin C such as Indian gooseberries, guavas, peppers, limes, lemons, broccoli, mangoes and oranges. Vitamin C helps thicken the walls of the blood vessels, aiding the healing process.
Alternatively, you can take a vitamin C supplement to give your body the needed daily dose.
Calendula, also known as marigold, is commonly used to reduce inflammation and promote wound healing. It can also be used to reduce the swelling and bruising associated with black eye.
- Put a handful of petals separated from fresh calendula flowers in a cup of hot water.
- Allow it to steep for 10 to 15 minutes and then place it in the refrigerator for about half an hour
- Soak a clean washcloth in this cool solution and place it on the eye area for about 5 minutes.
- Do this a few times for a few days.
Arnica is an herb that can reduce the swelling that often occurs with a black eye. It will also help heal the eye muscles and any other tissue that may have been damaged.
Begin using arnica as soon as possible to prevent the bruise from getting worse. Arnica is available in topical creams or ointments, as well as in oil form, that can be applied on the affected area two to three times a day.
6. Pineapple and Papaya
Pineapple and papaya are two fruits that can help in treating a black eye. Both are rich in antioxidants that speed up the healing process of almost any kind of injury that causes discoloration of the skin.
These fruits have enzymes that soften and heal the skin. To reap the benefits, you can either:
- Apply the pulp of these fruits topically around the blackened area of the eye, or
- Drink these fruit juices or simply eat the fruits.
7. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is regarded as a good healing agent for many problems including black eyes. The following are a couple of ways to use this home remedy.
- Soak a cotton pad in witch hazel and place it on the affected eye for a few minutes. This will have a gentle soothing as well as healing effect.
- You can also prepare a solution of chamomile essential oil, witch hazel and water. Dip a clean cloth in the solution and place it on your eyelid and surrounding area. Repeat the process two to three times a day.
8. Natural Oil
Massaging the affected area with a good natural oil can help relieve swelling and inflammation. Olive oil is the best option as it contains many bruise healing properties.
You can use other types of oil also, like coconut or castor oil. When massaging with oil, be as gentle as possible as extra pressure can cause more pain.
Potatoes can help reduce swelling as well as pain. There are a couple of ways to use this remedy.
- Peel and cut a medium-sized potato into thick slices. Put the potato slices in the refrigerator for half an hour. Then place a cold slice of potato over the affected eye for half an hour.
- Another option is to grate a potato to squeeze out the juice and then apply it to the eye.
In addition to potatoes, you can use cucumber slices or chilled tea bags for the same result.
10. Comfrey Roots
Comfrey root is an excellent home cure to reduce pain and bruising from a black eye.
- Make a paste by grinding one teaspoon of comfrey root along with a little water. Apply this paste on the affected area once a day.
- Make a tea by boiling comfrey root in water, dip a clean cloth in the warm tea and apply it to the bruised area.