Scar tissue is a common beauty concern for many. It is the tissue that replaces normal skin when the skin has been damaged beyond its first layer. This can occur for several reasons like minor burns, cuts, scrapes, acne, a fungal infection, bites or some kind of surgery.
Technically speaking, scar tissue is the same type of tissue as healthy skin. But it looks different because the fibers in this tissue are arranged differently.
Scar tissue does not cause pain, but it is definitely a beauty concern for many and so people look for various options to get rid of it.
You can try some natural remedies to help fade and minimize scar tissue. Bear in mind, results may vary from person to person depending on the depth and severity of the problem. Scar tissue also tends to fade naturally over a period of time.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of scar tissue.
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has medium-chain fatty acids that act as antioxidants, preventing and reversing free radical damage. This oil can effectively stimulate collagen production and soften the skin to speed up the healing process.
- Warm 1 teaspoon of extra-virgin coconut oil in the microwave.
- Apply this warm oil to the affected area, gently massaging using small circular motions until it gets absorbed.
- Repeat several times daily until you get the desired result.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is known for its ability to regenerate skin tissue and can help reduce the size and appearance of scars. Its soothing and moisturizing property will increase the elasticity of scar tissue and help reduce inflammation.
- Cut an aloe vera leaf in half and squeeze out the gel.
- Apply the gel on the scar and massage gently for several minutes.
- Allow it to dry on its own, then rinse it off with warm water.
- Do this several times a day for 1 or 2 months.
3. Vitamin E
Vitamin E is another very popular remedy to get rid of scar tissue. It is an effective antioxidant and has a moisturizing property that helps revitalize and nourish the skin. Plus, it can stimulate the formation of collagen, which improves skin texture and strength.
- Extract the liquid from a vitamin E capsule and apply it on the scar 2 or 3 times daily for several weeks. You can also use a vitamin E cream.
- Plus, include foods rich in vitamin E in your diet like almonds, safflower oil, hazelnuts and peanut butter.
4. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a very effective way to deal with scar tissue. Lemon has alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) that help remove dead skin cells and regenerate and repair damaged skin. Plus, it works as a natural bleach to help lighten scars as well as blemishes.
- Apply freshly extracted lemon juice on the affected area.
- Allow it to dry for 10 minutes, then rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
- Apply some moisturizer.
- Follow this remedy twice daily for several weeks until you are satisfied with the result.
Note: As lemon juice can make your skin sensitive to light, always wear sunscreen before going outside.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another excellent remedy to get rid of scar tissue is apple cider vinegar. Its acidic nature will exfoliate the affected skin and remove dead skin, which in turn will reduce the appearance of scars.
- Dip a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and apply it on the affected area.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes, then wash it off with water.
- Apply some moisturizing lotion.
- Use this treatment a few times daily for a few weeks.
Note: If apple cider vinegar causes skin irritation, dilute it with water before using.
6. Lavender Oil
Lavender essential oil contains skin cell rejuvenating properties that can help treat scar tissue and keloid scars. It helps increase the skin cell turnover rate, in turn preventing scars from becoming permanent.
- Apply a few drops of lavender essential oil on the scar. Massage gently in circular motions for 10 to 15 minutes so that the oil penetrates deep into the skin.
- Another option is to mix equal amounts of lavender oil and olive oil, apply it on the affected area and massage gently for several minutes.
Follow either of these remedies twice daily for several weeks to get positive results.
As honey is a natural moisturizer, it is often used to treat scar tissue. Honey can stimulate tissue regeneration as well as prevent excess collagen growth and dead skin accumulation.
- Apply raw honey on the affected area and massage for 10 minutes. Leave it on for about 1 hour, then rinse it off with warm water. Do this twice daily for several weeks.
- Another option is to prepare a mixture with 2 tablespoons of raw honey and 1 tablespoon of baking soda. Apply this paste on the affected area, massage for 2 to 3 minutes and place a hot washcloth over the area. When the washcloth becomes cool, wipe the area with it. Repeat 3 or 4 times a week for a few months.
8. Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter can also help treat scar tissue. It is a natural moisturizing agent that can moisturize deep into the skin layers. Plus, it is rich in vitamin E that aids skin repair.
- Rub the affected skin with a wet, coarse washcloth and towel dry.
- Massage a spoonful of pure cocoa butter into the skin using firm, circular motions.
- Repeat up to 3 times a day for several weeks.
9. Sandalwood Powder
Sandalwood powder is another good home remedy for removing scar tissue. Sandalwood has many skin-regenerating properties that can reduce and lighten scars.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of pure sandalwood powder with enough rose water to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected area before going to bed.
- Leave it on until it dries completely and then wash it off the next morning with lukewarm water.
- Do this daily for 1 to 2 months.
10. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has strong scar-removing as well as skin-healing properties that make it an ideal remedy for removing scar tissue. As this oil is very strong, dilute it with water before using.
- Add 2 drops of tea tree oil to one teaspoon of olive oil or almond oil. Apply it on the affected area and leave it on for a few hours before washing it off. Do this once daily for several weeks.
- Another option is to add 2 or 3 drops of tea tree oil to 1/2 cup of warm water. Use it to wash the affected area twice daily for several wekes.
- You can also wash the affected area using soap made with tea tree oil twice daily.
- You can crush 2 aspirins and add water to make a paste and apply it on the scar twice daily.
- You can also apply white toothpaste to help cure scars.
- Massage the area with oil to soften the dead skin tissue and reduce the size of the scar.
- Taking vitamin C supplements can also facilitate the healing process.
- Eat foods rich in beta-carotene as well as zinc to help your body deal with scar tissue.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to prevent dehydrated skin.
- Avoid pricking or scratching the tissue with your nails or another sharp tool.
These natural treatments may take time to show results, but they will be less abrasive and harmful than chemical or surgical treatments. Plus, these remedies help restore your skin’s natural ability to heal.