The neck is a common area of cosmetic concern for both men and women. In fact, many people visit cosmetic clinics worldwide to get excess fat in the neck and chin areas removed.
Fat may accumulate on your neck for several different reasons, but one of the main causes is excess body weight and obesity. Other reasons behind excess fat around your neck are aging, water retention, and health conditions, such as hypothyroidism, Cushing’s syndrome, and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
It’s very important to deal with neck fat quickly, as fat in the neck is closely associated with heart disease, high cholesterol, and diabetes.
You can always get the excess fat removed by a cosmetic surgeon, but going under the knife is risky and expensive.
To solve the problem of neck fat, you can try lifestyle changes, dietary changes, and do some neck exercises. Though the results will not be quick, sticking to a healthy eating pattern and exercise routine can help get rid of the excess fat around your neck.
Here are some of the ways to get rid of neck fat.
1. Do the Neck Rotation Exercise
It helps strengthen and tone your neck muscles. Plus, it improves neck flexibility.
- Sit up straight and look directly out in front of you.
- Slowly turn your head as far as you can to look to the left.
- Then, turn slowly to the right.
- Do 5 to 10 repetitions on the right side and left side.
2. Do the Side Resistance Exercise
Another good exercise that targets fat accumulated in the neck area is the side resistance exercise. This exercise will also strengthen your neck muscles as well as your upper back.
- Sit or stand up straight.
- Place your right hand on the right side of your head.
- Slowly bend your head to the right and push back with your right hand to prevent your head from going down.
- Hold this position for 10 to 20 seconds.
- Repeat the process on the other side.
- Do about 10 repetitions, 2 or 3 times daily.
3. Do the Mouth Exercise
The mouth exercise is another simple yet effective way to get rid of fat around your neck. When you exercise your mouth, the effect can be seen on your neck muscles, too.
- Sit up straight and open your mouth widely.
- Put your lower lip over your bottom teeth.
- Hold this position for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Then, slowly release your lips.
- Repeat this for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Do this exercise 2 or 3 times daily.
4. Do Not Slouch While Sitting
A good posture is important to get rid of fat accumulated around your neck. In fact, the way you sit can have a huge impact on your neck and chin muscles.
For instance, if you have the habit of slouching while sitting, it will affect the muscles around your neck and make them weak. This, in turn, will lead to fatty deposits around the neck.
Slouching is a bad sitting position and you must avoid it. Try to sit straight, keeping your head high. Sitting with good posture will help smooth out the fatty creases around your neck.
Be very conscious regarding your sitting position, so that you do not go back to your old habit of slouching.
5. Reduce Your Calorie Intake
One of the main reasons behind neck fat is obesity, which occurs when you are eating more calories than what you are burning in a day. Hence, reducing your daily calorie intake is a good way to lose weight overall and fat accumulated in different parts of the body, such as the neck or belly.
If you reduce your caloric intake by 3,500 calories per week, you can lose about 1 pound a week. To reduce your calorie intake:
- Eat smaller portions at each meal to maintain a balanced diet.
- Avoid high-fat foods, such as cheese, butter, mayonnaise, fried food, and fatty sweets.
- Avoid high-calorie drinks like cola, fruit punch or packaged fruit juices.
- Start a meal with a salad and drink a glass of water before eating to help reduce your appetite.
- Snack frequently, but choose healthy options like nuts and seeds.
- Eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Switch to healthier carbohydrates, such as whole grains instead of refined grains.
- Eat more lean protein to keep you feeling satisfied longer.
6. Stay Hydrated
Water is essential for a healthy body and to maintain an ideal body weight. In fact, if you don’t drink enough water, it will be difficult for you to lose weight because water plays a major role in eliminating toxins from your body.
Plus, water helps control your appetite and prevents you from overeating.
- Aim to drink at least eight 8 to 10 glasses of water daily. However, the exact amount depends on your weight, gender, and activity level.
- Along with water, eat more fruits and vegetables that have high water content.
- Avoid dehydrating drinks like soda, coffee, and anything with alcohol.
7. Switch to Green Tea
Losing weight is one of the best ways to deal with neck fat, and including green tea in your diet can help a lot in this aspect.
Green tea contains potent antioxidants and various components that speed up your metabolism rate. This stimulates the body to burn calories and decrease body fat.
Also, green tea is good for aging skin as well as your overall health.
- Add 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves to a cup of hot water.
- Cover and let it steep for a few minutes.
- Strain it, then add a little honey.
- Drink 3 to 4 cups of green tea daily for at least a few months.
8. Use Coconut Oil
You can also use extra-virgin coconut oil to get rid of neck fat. You can use the oil both internally and externally.
When used internally, the medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil get absorbed directly into the cell membranes and get converted into energy instead of being stored as fat. Moreover, coconut oil improves your metabolism to help you lose fat.
When used externally, it helps improve blood circulation and prevents accumulation of fat.
- Massage your neck as well as chin area with warm coconut oil for 10 minutes twice daily.
- Also, use extra-virgin coconut oil for cooking.
9. Use an Egg White Mask
An egg white mask can also help a lot in getting rid of fat accumulated around your neck and sagging skin. Egg whites have a skin-tightening effect that helps keep your skin tight and firm.
- Whisk the whites from 2 eggs.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of milk, honey, and lemon juice, then whisk again.
- Apply this mask to the skin around your neck and chin area.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water and pat dry your skin.
- Use this skin-tightening mask 2 or 3 times a week.
10. Use Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps break down fat, thus preventing the accumulation of body fat in various parts of the body, including your neck. It contains minerals like potassium, magnesium, and calcium that can help flush out toxins, which is also important for weight loss.
- Mix 3 parts raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with 1 part olive oil. Use it to massage your neck area in upward motions for 10 minutes. Do it 2 or 3 times a day.
- Another option is to mix 2 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and a little honey into a glass of water. Drink it daily on an empty stomach.
- Do cardiovascular exercises to help burn calories and support your weight loss effort. Adults should do about 150 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio exercise or activities each week.
- Apart from cardio exercises, do strength or resistance training a couple of days a week.
- Apply sunscreen on your neck to slow down signs of aging, such as wrinkles and sagging skin.
- Never apply hard pressure to your neck area, as it can lead to an injury.