Cellulite affects more than 85 percent of women, representing all shapes and sizes. It is most common in the thighs, but it can also be present on the legs, buttocks or stomach.
Cellulite is made up of free-floating fat cells that are deposited just beneath the skin. It has a distinct appearance, like the dimpled surface of an orange peel or cottage cheese. Hormones, genetics and an unhealthy lifestyle are the top causes of cellulite.
You need to get rid of cellulite as soon as it appears because it tends to get worse with age. Many effective techniques can slow the occurrence and minimize the appearance of cellulite in the thighs. To manage cellulite, try some of these simple and easy home remedies.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of cellulite in the thighs.
1. Dry Brushing
Dry brushing is one of the simplest ways to get rid of cellulite in your thighs. Although several people attest to its effectiveness, it is not backed by scientific evidence.
The process of dry brushing improves blood circulation and lymphatic drainage, and removes the build-up of toxins from body.
Plus, it is believed that the improved blood flow to the skin makes it appear plump, thus reducing the appearance of cellulite.
- Before beginning, make sure your skin and the brush are both dry.
- Gently brush from your feet up to your shoulders, focusing more on areas with the most cellulite. Remember to brush from left to right side of the body and keep the brushing movements concentrated toward the heart to encourage blood circulation.
- Do this dry brushing for about five minutes.
- Finally, shower to wash away the dead skin cells and impurities.
- Do this once daily before taking a shower for a few months or until you notice improvement in your skin texture.
Note: Be sure to use a body brush made with natural fibers.
2. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is a fat-burning food. It has the ability to naturally heat up the body, increase blood circulation and boost metabolism. Plus, it helps get rid of bad skin cells and replace them with strong healthy cells.
In addition, regular consumption of cayenne pepper can help eliminate toxins from the body and reduce the appearance of cellulite in the thighs.
- Add one or two teaspoons of cayenne pepper powder, one teaspoon of grated ginger and fresh-squeezed juice from one lemon to a glass of warm water and mix it well.
- Drink the cellulite detox drink once or twice daily for one or two months.
3. Coffee Grounds
Coarse coffee grounds can be used as an exfoliating scrub to remove dead skin cells and regenerate new, healthy cells. Plus, drinking coffee will help increase blood circulation.
- Mix together one-fourth cup of coffee grounds, three tablespoons of sugar and two tablespoons of melted coconut oil to form a paste. Take a little bit of this paste and massage the affected skin with it for several minutes using firm pressure. Finally, rinse it off with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy two or three times a week until you get the desired results. You can store the excess in a glass jar for future use.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a wrap with coffee and olive oil. Heat one-half cup of coffee grounds and a little extra-virgin olive oil in the microwave for 20 seconds. Spread the warm mixture on the cellulite and cover it with plastic wrap. Leave it on for 30 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water. Do this twice a week until you see improvement.
4. Juniper Oil
Juniper oil has detoxifying properties and can help reduce fluid retention, thus effectively reducing cellulite.
- Mix 10 to 15 drops of juniper oil in one-fourth cup of olive oil.
- Massage the mixture on the affected area for 10 minutes.
- Do this twice daily. After a month, you will notice your skin is softer and firmer.
A natural exfoliating agent, seaweed stimulates blood circulation, improves skin texture and flushes harmful toxins from the body. This in turn helps reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- Mix together three tablespoons of ground seaweed (easily available at health stores), one-fourth cup each of sea salt and extra-virgin olive oil, and a few drops of any kind of essential oil.Massage a little bit of this mixture on the affected area for 10 minutes before taking a shower. After showering, apply moisturizer. Follow this remedy once daily for several weeks. You can store excess mixture in a mason jar for future use.
- Alternatively, you can take seaweed baths to reduce cellulite. Add four sheets of seaweed to your bath tub filled with lukewarm water. Soak in it for 20 minutes. Do this twice a week for the maximum benefit.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can help get rid of cellulite due to the presence of minerals, potassium, magnesium and calcium in it. All these elements play a key role in flushing out toxins and water retention around the thighs and stomach.
This in turn reduces bloating and cellulite. Plus, apple cider vinegar also helps you lose weight and less fat means fewer cellulite pockets.
- Mix one part apple cider vinegar with two parts water. If you like, add a bit of honey. Rub the solution on the affected areas. Leave it on for 30 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water. Follow this treatment twice daily until you get the desired results.
- Alternatively, mix apple cider vinegar and water in equal parts, and rub it on the affected area. Then wrap the area with plastic wrap and put a warm towel over it for one hour. Finally, remove the wrap and rinse the area with lukewarm water. Do this once daily until you get rid of your cellulite completely.
- You can also mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon of honey, and drink it two times a day on a regular basis.
7. Green Clay
Green clay has ability to stimulate blood and lymph circulation, remove dead skin cells, absorb impurities and fats, and repair and strengthen connective tissues. Due to all these properties, green clay is considered highly effective for reducing the appearance of cellulite.
- Mix together one-half cup each of green clay and seaweed, one-quarter cup of freshly squeezed lime juice, three tablespoons of hot water, and one tablespoon of organic honey to form a thick and smooth paste.
- Rub the mixture onto the affected area using circular motions, and then cover it with plastic wrap.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes, and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Follow this treatment on a weekly basis until you get the desired result.
Salmon is rich in antioxidants, which break down fat cells in cellulite. Plus, the omega-3 fatty acids present in salmon are required by the body for smooth skin and tissue.
Omega-3 fatty acids reduce appetite and low-level inflammation as well as repair and strengthen skin tissues. This in turn decreases the build-up of harmful toxins in blood vessels and improves circulation.
Try to eat four or five servings of salmon each week. To promote cellulite reduction, opt for baked or roasted salmon dishes and avoid the deep-fried versions.
9. Tangerine Oil
Tangerine oil helps improve blood circulation and break down fat pockets and cellulite. This essential oil also plays a key role in detoxifying the body.
- Add five drops of tangerine oil to one tablespoon of olive oil. Rub this mixture on the affected area and massage with it for 10 to 15 minutes. Avoid sun exposure for at least one hour after using this oil. Repeat twice daily for many weeks to reduce cellulite.
- Alternatively, you can consume this oil orally to reduce cellulite as well as boost your metabolism. Add two or three drops of tangerine essential oil to a glass of warm water. Drink it once daily until you notice improvement.
10. Drink Water
Cellulite pockets are full of toxins that accumulate in your body over the years. Drinking water is the best way to remove toxins from your body. It will also keep your body well hydrated, which in turn will give your skin a healthy glow and texture.
Drink at least eight glasses of water daily to make sure your system is getting all the water it needs. Drink a glass of water first thing in the morning, before you have your morning coffee or tea.
If you do not like drinking plain water, you can add a little lemon juice or honey. Plus, try to eat foods with higher water content like melons, cucumbers, and leafy green vegetables.
With these tips and remedies, you can easily get rid of cellulite in your thighs and show off your well-toned legs in swimsuits, skirts and shorts.