Blotchy skin means irregular patches where there are changes in skin color. It’s characterized by white, red or brown-to-gray areas on the skin and symptoms can include redness and intense itchiness.
This type of skin problem often occurs on the chest, face and legs, but the arms are not too uncommon either.
The cause behind red blotchy skin can be many things. It can be due to skin diseases like rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, keratosis pilaris, and others. It can also be due to exposure to extreme weather conditions, such as too cold or too dry.
Hormonal changes, such as those occurring during pregnancy, can also cause blotchy skin on the face. This is commonly called melasma or chloasma.
Darker or blotchy skin patches can also occur after your skin suffers a trauma, such as a burn or injury; skin conditions like rashes, allergic reactions or acne; and infections, such as tinea versicolor or ringworm. Excessive stress, environmental irritants and genetic factors can also cause this type of skin problem.
Regardless of why it occurs, discolored blotchy skin can be unsettling to look at and make you appear older than you really are. People suffering from this problem are ready to take all necessary steps to eliminate it.
You can opt for home treatments, if the cause of your skin patches is not serious. However, for serious causes, it’s recommended to consult a doctor for proper treatment.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of blotchy and uneven skin.
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is considered one of the best ways to treat uneven skin tone, especially one that occurs due to sunburn. Its anti-inflammatory nature can reduce the skin inflammation, redness and swelling associated with sunburns.
Also, its strong moisturizing effect can help keep the skin moisturized, which in turn helps soothe your skin and restore a healthy and even skin color.
- Extract the gel out of an aloe vera leaf.
- Apply the gel on your blotchy skin using your fingers.
- Leave it on your skin for at least 20 to 30 minutes.
- Finally, wash it off with water.
- Do this 2 or 3 times daily until you have an even skin tone.
Another simple and easy home remedy to treat uneven skin tone is oatmeal.
Oatmeal is a great moisturizing agent that helps rehydrate extremely dry skin, one of the key reasons behind blotchy skin.
Plus, oatmeal has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help deal with redness and itchiness.
You can use any of the following treatments 3 or 4 times a week:
- Start with 2 tablespoons of ground oatmeal and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of warm water (or tomato juice) and ½ teaspoon of honey. Mix the ingredients well. Apply the mixture to your blotchy skin patches. Leave it on for about 5 minutes, then gently massage your skin using wet fingers. Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Fill your bathtub with lukewarm water. Add ½ to 1 cup of oatmeal powder to the bathwater and stir well. Soak yourself in this water for 15 to 20 minutes, then take a shower and pat dry your body.
- Cook 2 tablespoons of oatmeal in ½ cup of milk. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix it well and allow it to cool down. Apply the mixture on the affected skin area for about 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
3. Coconut Oil
The fatty acids in coconut oil make this oil a great moisturizer for dry skin, one of the key reasons behind blotchy, uneven skin tone. Its moisturizing nature deeply rehydrates the skin.
At the same time, its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties aid in reducing redness and inflammation.
- Rub some extra-virgin coconut oil between your palms. Apply this warm oil onto your blotchy skin patches. Rub gently over the patches for 5 to 10 minutes. Now, allow the oil to be naturally absorbed by your skin. Do this 2 or 3 times a day.
- Alternatively, combine 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil and 1 teaspoon each of brown sugar and honey. Mix the ingredients thoroughly and apply the mixture onto your blotchy skin. Scrub gently for a couple of minutes using wet fingers, then wash it off with water. Repeat once or twice a week.
Yogurt works great on blotchy skin, especially when it is caused by sun exposure. Yogurt also reduces age spots.
It contains lactic acid, which is often used in cosmetic products designed to treat rough and dry skin. Lactic acid works as an exfoliating agent to slough off dead skin cells that may be the reason behind the blotchy skin.
Yogurt also has a cooling effect on skin, which is beneficial for sunburned skin.
- Apply a thick layer of plain yogurt on your blotchy skin patches. Allow it to sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water. Repeat once daily.
- Alternatively, thoroughly mix 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt and 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder. Spread the mixture evenly all over the affected skin area. Allow it to sit for 20 to 30 minutes or until dry. Rinse with warm water and pat dry. Use this remedy 3 or 4 times a week.
5. Green Tea
Your daily cup of green tea is also great for relieving blotchy skin, due to the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties in it. Green tea helps get rid of redness as well as swelling that causes a lot of discomfort.
- Soak a green tea bag in ½ cup of warm water for 10 minutes.
- Take out the tea bag.
- Add a few tablespoons of rice flour to the tea and mix thoroughly to form a paste.
- Apply this paste onto your blotchy skin like a mask.
- Leave it on your skin for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times a week.
Along with applying this green tea mask topically on your skin, drink 2 to 3 cups of iced green tea daily to help your skin heal from within.
6. Baking Soda
Sometimes to treat blotchy skin, gentle exfoliation is needed to get rid of the dead skin cells. For gentle exfoliation, one of the best kitchen ingredients is baking soda.
Baking soda also helps open up clogged pores and deeply cleanse them to give you an even skin tone.
- Make a paste by mixing 2 to 3 tablespoons of baking soda and a little water.
- Apply this paste onto your blotchy skin patches.
- Scrub gently for a few minutes with the tips of your fingers.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Follow up with a light moisturizer or simply ale vera gel.
- Repeat once every 2 to 3 days until you get rid of your blotchy skin.
7. Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E also helps treat uneven skin color and dark patches on almost any part of the body. Being an antioxidant, vitamin E can reverse the damage done by the harsh UV rays of the sun.
Vitamin E oil also moisturizes your skin, which is essential when treating dry, blotchy skin.
- Extract the contents of 1 or 2 vitamin E capsules. Add 1 teaspoon of castor oil to it and mix thoroughly. Apply the mixture on the affected skin before going to bed, leave it on overnight and rinse it off the next morning. Use this remedy daily until your skin tone becomes even and healthy.
- You can also massage vitamin E oil on the affected skin for 10 to 15 minutes twice daily. Do this for a few weeks to reduce your uneven tone.
8. Rose Water
You can also use rose water, also called gulab jal, to reduce skin blotchiness. It helps soothe the skin and reduce the redness due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Plus, rose water will help maintain an even skin tone and regenerate dead skin cell tissues.
- Put a little rose water on a cotton ball and dab it on your splotchy skin.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, then wash your skin.
- Do this once daily for a week.
Honey is also considered one of the best natural moisturizers loaded with antioxidant properties that help soothe your skin and deal with dry and uneven skin tone.
It helps lock in moisture to make your skin extra soft and smooth. Plus, honey has many essential vitamins and minerals that help improve your skin’s health.
- Rub raw honey all over the affected skin area. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes before taking a shower. Repeat once daily.
- Another option is using equal parts of unprocessed honey, beeswax and olive oil. First, melt the beeswax in a microwave or double boiler over low heat. Then, mix in the honey and olive oil and allow it to cool. Apply this mixture all over the affected area and leave it on for 10 minutes before taking a shower. Repeat every other day.
The refreshing and cooling properties of cucumbers are great for treating blotchy and dry skin, as it helps your skin control the production of melanin.
Cucumbers have several antioxidant compounds that help reduce inflammation of your skin. They are also rich in vitamin C, again beneficial for skin and its renewal.
Plus, the pantothenic acid in them helps the skin retain moisture.
- Mix equal amounts of cucumber juice and lemon juice.
- Apply the mixed juice to the affected area for approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with cool water.
- Repeat once a day.
- Eat foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, as they are essential for nourished, smooth, even-toned skin.
- Include water-rich fruits and vegetables in your diet, as they help hydrate the skin gradually and naturally as well as delivering nutrients.
- Exercise regularly as it boosts circulation.
- Stress can cause dehydration, dullness, breakouts and uneven skin tone. So, take steps to keep stress under control.
- Use a sunscreen that has an SPF of 30 to protect your skin against both UVA and UVB rays. Apply the sunscreen about 20 minutes before stepping out in the sun.
- Exfoliate your skin once a week to prevent accumulation of dead skin cells, which can make your skin look dull and uneven.
- Skin is made up of nearly 75 percent water, so drinking enough of it daily will ensure smooth and beautiful skin.
- Forgo the soda and other sugary drinks.
- Choose your skin-care and cosmetic products wisely and, whenever possible,opt for herbal products.