Acne is an extremely common problem among people of all ages, especially among teenagers and women going through menopause.
Acne often occurs during times of hormonal imbalances in the body. Hormonal changes cause glands to produce more oil than normal, which causes the skin pores to get clogged and allow bacteria to grow.
Dealing with acne is one thing, but the problem becomes worse if acne breakouts leave behind ugly scars that don’t go away easily. Scars are a sign that acne has caused huge damage to your skin. Acne scars can be found on any skin type, and the scars are usually dark red or brown with an uneven, pitted texture.
Depending on the severity, acne scars can last weeks, months or longer. To deal with these stubborn scars, many people rely on chemical creams and expensive treatments. If you want a safer alternative to get rid of the scars, try some simple and effective home remedies.
These remedies may not give you results in a day, but they are safe and without side effects. Before trying the remedies, bear in mind that you need to have patience and use the remedies religiously.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of acne scars.
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a natural scar-removal ingredient, due to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
Also, being a natural emollient, it helps repair damaged skin and promote growth of healthy skin. It also improves the elasticity of the new tissue being formed.
- Cut open an aloe vera leaf and scoop out the gel. Apply the gel on your scars and massage it in circular motions. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes, then rinse it off. Do this 2 or 3 times daily.
- Alternatively, mix 1 tablespoon of freshly extracted aloe vera gel and 2 or 3 drops of tea tree essential oil. Apply it on the affected areas. Rinse it off with cold water after 10 to 15 minutes. Use it once daily.
Note: Aloe vera may not work that effectively on older scars.
Lemon works as a natural bleach and helps lighten any kind of scars on your skin. It also removes dead skin cells, promotes the growth of new skin cells and improves skin elasticity.
Also, the vitamin C in lemon helps in rebuilding collagen.
You can choose from the following remedies, according to your preference.
- Apply a little fresh lemon juice directly on your scars using your fingertips or a cotton ball. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes, then wash it off with water. Do this 1 or 2 times a day.
- Mix equal amounts of lemon juice and honey. Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture on the affected area. Allow it to sit for about 10 to 15 minutes. Wash it off with water and pat dry. Do this once every day.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice with 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil. Apply it to your acne scars before going to bed and wash it off the next morning. Do this once daily.
Caution: Do not go out in the sun after applying lemon juice on your skin.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
The acidic property of apple cider vinegar helps lighten pigmentation in the skin, thus reducing the appearance of acne scars. It also stimulates collagen production, repairs cells and removes dead skin cells.
Plus, it evens the skin tone and may prevent future scarring.
- Mix equal amounts of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and water. Dip a cotton ball in it and apply it on the scars. Leave it on for 5 minutes, then rinse it off with water. Do this once daily.
- Alternatively, mix 2 tablespoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with ½ cup of water and 2 tablespoons of honey. Use a cotton ball to apply it on the acne scars. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse it off with plain water. Use this remedy once daily.
4. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a rich source of vitamin E and fatty acids that help repair skin tissue, and keep it healthy and free from scars and marks.
Plus, being a good moisturizer, it properly hydrates the skin and makes scars appear less noticeable.
- Apply a little warm extra-virgin coconut oil directly on the scars. Massage the affected area for 5 to 10 minutes. Allow it to sit for at least 1 hour before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
- Another option is to mix a few drops of lavender oil in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, apply it on the affected area and massage gently for a few minutes. Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Repeat either of these remedies once or twice daily for several weeks.
5. Vitamin E Oil
Another easy treatment for acne scars is vitamin E. It works as an effective antioxidant that can help fade scars. It keeps the skin moisturized, helps repair damaged tissue and evens out the skin tone to minimize the appearance of scars.
- Simply puncture the end of a vitamin E gel capsule and extract the contents. Apply the oil directly on the scarred skin 2 or 3 times a day.
- Alternatively, mix the contents of 1 vitamin E capsule with 1 teaspoon of castor oil. Apply it on the affected skin before going to bed. Leave it on overnight and rinse it off the next morning using lukewarm water. Repeat daily until your scars fade.
6. Baking Soda
You can use also use baking soda to remove acne scars. It works as a mild exfoliant to help fade the scar tissue layer by layer.
- Put 2 teaspoons of baking soda into a bowl.
- Add a little water, just enough to make a thin paste.
- Apply the mixture on your acne scars.
- Leave it on for a couple of minutes, then rinse it off.
- Repeat once daily for several weeks to help fade your acne scars.
Note: Do not keep baking soda on your skin for more than 2 minutes as it can be harsh on your skin. If it dries out your skin, you can follow up with a light moisturizer. Do not use this remedy if you have a sensitive skin.
Potato is another effective home remedy for acne scars. The high starch content in potatoes helps fade away the scars and blemishes.
- Grate 1 large potato and strain through a cheesecloth to get the juice. Apply this juice on your acne scars. Leave it on for 20 minutes, then rinse your face.
- Alternatively, you can cut a potato into thick slices. Rub 1 slice onto your skin for 1 minute, then leave the juice on your face for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse it off with water.
Use either of these remedies 2 or 3 times daily until your scars disappear.
8. Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter is a great moisturizer for your skin. In fact, it gets easily absorbed into the dermis layer of the skin that can lock in the moisture. Keeping your skin moisturized, it aids the regrowth of skin tissue at a faster pace, which in turn reduces the scars.
Cocoa butter also improves the tone and texture of your skin.
- Apply a small amount of cocoa butter directly on the scars.
- Massage in a circular motion to help the cocoa butter get absorbed into the skin.
- Do this daily before going to bed. Wash it off the next morning.
When it comes to acne scars, turmeric is very effective.
Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, is loaded with skin-healing properties. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help heal the acne and scars on your face.
Plus, turmeric has regenerative properties that accelerate the healing process.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder with a little lemon juice to make a paste. Apply it on the scars. Wash it off after 15 minutes with lukewarm water. Pat dry and apply a light moisturizer. Do this twice daily.
- Alternatively, mix together 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt and 1 teaspoon of extra-virgin coconut oil. Apply it on the affected area. Allow it to dry. Using wet fingers, gently scrub it on your skin for a minute. Wash it off with lukewarm water. Do it 2 or 3 times a week.
Note: Turmeric will stain your clothes, so take care not to spill the paste.
Honey is great moisturizer for your skin and is also rich in antibiotic and healing properties. It can help treat acne as well as heal the damaged skin by preventing accumulation of dead skin cells and stimulating skin tissue regeneration.
- Apply some honey on the scars, cover it with a bandage and leave it on overnight. The next morning, wash it off with warm water. Repeat daily before going to bed.
- Crush 2 or 3 aspirin tablets into a powder, then mix it into 2 teaspoons of honey. Apply it on your scars and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water. Use it once daily.
- Avoid picking, popping or squeezing acne, as it can cause stubborn scars.
- Do not touch the acne-affected area too much, as dirt and bacteria from your hands can lead to infection and scarring.
- Avoid too much sun exposure. The ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun can make scars more prominent.
- To protect your skin from sun damage, use a sunscreen with a minimum SPF (sun protection factor) of 30.
- Use herbal and chemical-free skin care products, as chemicals can increase the risk of scarring.
- Avoid applying makeup immediately after washing your skin, as it can clog your pores and lead to more acne breakouts.
- Always apply moisturizer when your skin is damp, so that the moisturizer can work its way into your skin.
- Exfoliate once a week to slough off dead skin, revealing the fresh, soft new skin underneath.
- Quit smoking, as it delays the healing process.
- Manage your stress level. Stress can worsen acne, especially in females.
- Get enough sleep, as collagen production and cell repair is faster and more effective during sleep.
- Keep your clothes and bedding clean.
- Drink enough water to keep your body hydrated. Dehydration can cause dry skin and worsen acne scars.