Note: Do consult your doctor for proper diagnosis and treament of this condition. Use home remedies just as an adjunct treatment.
Typhoid fever, also known as typhoid, is a bacterial infection of the intestinal tract and bloodstream. It is most commonly caused due to the Salmonella typhi (S. typhi) bacterium.
Once the bacteria enters the body through contaminated food, drinks or water, they multiply and spread from the intestines into the bloodstream. The bacteria travel through the blood to your lymph nodes, liver, spleen, gallbladder and other parts of the body.
Typhoid fever is common in less-industrialized countries, mainly due to problems with unsafe drinking water, inadequate sewage disposal and flooding. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, almost 21.5 million people in developing countries contract typhoid each year.
Early symptoms of typhoid are fever, weakness, headache and abdominal pain. As the disease gets worse, one can also have symptoms like severe diarrhea, vomiting, constipation, loss of appetite, skin rashes, blood in the stools, chills, delirium, hallucinations, fluctuating mood, enlarged liver, nosebleeds and lethargy. Symptoms usually improve in 2 to 4 weeks with proper treatment.
Once diagnosed with typhoid, doctors prescribe antibiotics to kill the bacteria. It is very important to complete the full course of antibiotics to prevent recurrence of the infection.
In addition, use of clean water along with good hygiene and sanitation are important to prevent spreading the illness to others. There are also vaccines that can protect you from contracting typhoid.
Some home remedies can also provide relief from typhoid symptoms and promote quick recovery.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for typhoid fever.
1. Cold Compresses
When you have a high fever, apply cold compresses to help your body temperature come down quickly.
- Soak a washcloth in cool tap water, wring out the excess water and place it on your forehead. Change the washcloth frequently. Follow this treatment until your temperature drops.
- You can also use a cold damp washcloth to sponge areas like your armpits, feet, hands and groin to reduce body temperature. Do this at regular intervals to control a high fever.
Note: Do not use very cold or ice water as it can worsen the condition.
2. Increase Fluid Intake
Due to high fever and diarrhea, you may become dehydrated. To prevent this, increase your fluid intake. It will keep your body hydrated and encourage elimination of waste material and toxins.
- Drink about 8 to 10 glasses of bottled or purified water daily. To be on the safe side, boil your drinking water if using tap water.
- Along with water, increase your consumption of coconut water, herbal teas, fresh fruit juices, soups and glucose water.
3. Homemade ORS
Fluid replacement or fluid resuscitation is essential to replenish fluid lost through diarrhea and prevent dehydration. You can do this with oral rehydration solution (ORS). ORS will reduce the intensity of typhoid symptoms and aid recovery.
You can use ORS approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) that you can easily buy from any health store. You can also make ORS at home.
- Mix ½ small spoon of salt and 6 small spoons of sugar in 4 cups of clean drinking water.
- Drink this homemade ORS several times a day until you recover completely.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is energizing and a good remedy for typhoid fever. Its acidic property helps draw heat out of the skin, which in turn reduces high body temperature. Moreover, the minerals in apple cider vinegar replenish minerals lost due to diarrhea.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and a little honey in a glass of water. Drink it before eating your meals. Follow this remedy for 5 to 7 days.
- You can also prepare a mixture of one part apple cider vinegar and two parts cool water. Soak a washcloth in it, wring out the excess water and place it on your forehead and abdomen. Change the washcloth once it becomes warm. Repeat as needed until your fever has dropped.
The antimicrobial properties of garlic help fight off bacteria that cause typhoid fever. It will also boost your immune system. Moreover, it helps eliminate harmful toxins from the body and speed up recovery.
- Eat 2 garlic cloves on an empty stomach for a couple of weeks to help get rid of typhoid fever symptoms.
- You can also mix ½ teaspoon of crushed garlic, 1 cup of milk and 4 cups of water. Boil the solution until it reduces to ¼ of the original amount. Drink it 3 times a day.
Note: Garlic is not recommended for pregnant women and small children.
Basil is another effective treatment for typhoid fever. This herb has antibiotic and antibacterial properties that can help get rid of the bacteria that cause typhoid fever. Moreover, it helps bring down a fever, calm the stomach and boost your immune system.
- Add 20 basil leaves and 1 teaspoon of crushed ginger to 1 cup of water. Boil it until the solution reduces by half. Add a little honey and drink this tea 2 or 3 times a day for a few days.
- You can also extract the juice from 5 to 7 basil leaves. Add a pinch of freshly ground black pepper to the juice and eat it 2 or 3 times a day for a couple of weeks.