Note: Do consult your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment of this condition. Use home remedies just as an adjunct treatment.
Tuberculosis, also referred to as TB, is a highly contagious respiratory infection caused by the bacteria known as ‘mycobacterium tuberculosis.’ Although primarily a respiratory condition, tuberculosis can also infect and affect other organs of the body as the infection can slowly spread via the lymph nodes and bloodstream.
The infection usually does not spread in a single social contact, but repeated or prolonged exposure to the bacteria will increase your risk. Other risk factors include a weak immune system, reduction in vitality and an improper diet.
Symptoms of tuberculosis are a general feeling of fatigue, persistent coughing (with blood in the mucus in the advanced stage), labored breathing or shortness of breath, weight loss, night sweats, fever, and sensation of pain in the chest, kidneys, or back.
If left untreated tuberculosis can be fatal, as it causes tissue death in the infected organ. The World Health Organization reported that TB killed 1.4 million people and infected 8.7 million in 2011. Proper medical treatment is a must for this condition. You can also use some natural remedies as an adjunct treatment.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for tuberculosis.
Garlic is rich in sulfuric acid that destroys the germs causing TB. It also contains allicin and ajoene, which have been found to inhibit bacterial growth. Plus, its antibacterial properties and immune-boosting effect are highly beneficial for a TB patient. Garlic can be eaten raw or cooked.
- Mix together one-half teaspoon of chopped garlic, one cup of milk and four cups of water. Boil it until it is reduced to one–fourth of the volume. Drink the mixture three times daily.
- Add 10 drops of garlic juice to a glass of hot milk and drink it before going to bed. Do not drink water afterwards, as it may diminish the beneficial effects.
- Dice 10 cloves of garlic and boil them in one cup of milk. Eat the boiled pieces of garlic and then drink the milk. Do this daily for a few months.
Bananas are an excellent source of nutrients and calcium that can help boost a TB patient’s immune system. They also can help alleviate the cough and fever.
- Take a ripe banana, mash it and mix in one cup coconut water, one-half cup yogurt, and one teaspoon honey. Consume it twice daily.
- Make raw banana juice and drink one glass of it daily.
- You can also drink the juice of the banana plant stem to relieve symptoms like chronic cough, excess phlegm, excessive perspiration at night with a high fever and so on. Slowly sip one to two cups of banana stem juice every two hours until symptoms subside.
Drumstick has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that can help eliminate the TB-causing bacteria from the lungs and reduce inflammation resulting from the infection and constant coughing. Plus, drumstick pods and leaves are a good source of carotene, calcium, phosphorus and vitamin C.
- Boil a handful of drumstick leaves in one cup of water for five minutes.
- Allow it to cool and add salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Drink this daily in the morning on an empty stomach.
Also boiled drumsticks can be consumed daily to get relief from the infection.
4. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry, also known as amla, has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. The various nutrients in Indian gooseberry provide energy and enhance the body’s capacity to function properly.
- De-seed three or four Indian gooseberries. Extract the juice with the help of a juicer.
- Add one tablespoon of honey and mix it well.
- Drink this every morning on an empty stomach.
Raw Indian gooseberry or its powder can also be consumed.
Oranges have many essential minerals and compounds. Orange juice has a saline action in the lungs, which eases expectorations and protects the body from secondary infections. It can boost the immune system as well.
- Add a pinch of salt and one tablespoon of honey to a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. Mix it thoroughly.
- Drink this twice daily, one glass in the morning and another in the evening.
6. Custard Apple
The rejuvenating properties in custard apple can also help in the treatment of tuberculosis. Usually the pulp of custard apple is used.
- Boil the pulp of two custard apples and 25 seedless raisins in one and a half cups of water until one-third of the water is left.
- Strain the mixture and add two teaspoons of powdered sugar and one-quarter teaspoon each of cardamom and cinnamon. Allow it to cool.
- Drink this twice daily.
7. Black Pepper
Black pepper helps cleanse the lungs, which in turn helps alleviate chest pains associated with tuberculosis. Also due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it can reduce the inflammation caused by the bacteria and constant coughing.
- Fry eight to 10 black peppercorns in clarified butter.
- Add a pinch of asafetida powder and allow the mixture to cool.
- Divide the mixture into three equal parts and have one dose every few hours.
Walnuts act as a source of strength and boost the immune system of those suffering from tuberculosis. The various nutrients in walnuts can speed up the healing process.
- Combine two teaspoons of crushed walnut powder and one teaspoon of garlic paste. Add one teaspoon of clarified butter and mix the ingredients thoroughly. Eat this once daily.
- Walnuts can also be added in meals to keep the immune system strong.
Mint is very advantageous for treating tuberculosis due to its healing and antibacterial properties. This remedy will help dissolve mucus, revitalize body organs, and nourish the lungs as well as helping to prevent dangerous side effects of medicines taken for tuberculosis.
- Mix one teaspoon of mint juice, two teaspoons of honey, two teaspoons of pure malt vinegar, and half a cup of carrot juice.
- Divide the mixture into three equal parts, and drink one dose every few hours.
10. Green Tea
Green tea can help in the treatment of tuberculosis because of its high antioxidant content and immune-strengthening properties. It also contains polyphenol compounds that can inhibit the proliferation of the bacteria that causes the disease.
Green tea leaves can be brewed with warm water to make a tea. If green tea leaves are not available, you can take them in capsule form easily found in the market. Explore more health benefits of green tea in this post.
Tuberculosis should not be taken lightly. Proper medical treatment combined with home remedies can help to overcome this health problem.
This is very informative..keep posting..
Excellent useful content.Thanks for information
Very very useful in life thanks for information
This is very useful and interesting…dont stop posting please
keep posting,indeed your post is very useful and economical as well.
thanks for giving advice this is nice remedy for those people who had a tb.
Thanks for info
It is very useful
very useful information about home remedies for tb patients
Thank you so much. I have referred if for my grand ma. This is useful.
The information is highly educative, please keep it up.
Very usefull tips HomRem. I’ll do it ASAP
This’very very uesfull for every one. Well job. Thanks for this tips advisers.
Thanks for this usefull tips
I have a query. I am having cough for two months and I am taking cough syrup from the same time. And doctor has predicted that I have TB but no symptoms found as you mentioned above except shortness of breathe and pain in chest. There is no blood in mucus. I am afraid of having honey, banana and orange as they can increase my cough. Please suggest what should I do to cure cough.
Comment:you better to go hospital for check up
Very handy info for people who care for TB patients.
Honey with Garlic 2 times ..& drinks Green tea 2times. Both are best remedy for cough. Avoid cool water also.
Comment:I found that i have ptb this feb.17 2017. But i dont have enough to go my polmunary specialist. Im a very poor kind of livelihood. Is it okey that i fallow one of this alternative cure medicine? I dont know where do i get this kind of desease… I have a lot of work experience. Im workaholic person… Honestly..i need help and tips. Thank you.
Thanks for informed videos and explanations about the YB remedies