Are you worried about your thin eyelashes or scanty growth? Well, you are not the only one. Many people want thicker eyelashes. They make a person’s eyes look even more beautiful and attractive.
Factors like genetics, age, certain medical conditions, a nutritional deficiency, an eye infection or hormonal changes in the body often contribute to thin eyelashes. Rubbing your eyes roughly and not removing eye makeup at the end of the day can also cause the delicate hairs of your lashes to fall out.
As proper routine care makes eyelashes healthier, this should be your first step to enjoy thicker lashes. You can also use some simple home remedies to promote thicker growth.
Bear in mind that each remedy will have different results in different individuals. It may take a few weeks to several months to get the desired result, and you may have to try more than one remedy to find one that works for you.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for thicker eyelashes.
1. Castor Oil
The powerful follicle-stimulating and nourishing castor oil can help you enjoy lustrous and voluminous lashes. It also helps fight micro-organisms that hamper growth.
- Use a clean brush or a cotton swab to apply castor oil on your lashes before going to bed. You can also add a few drops of vitamin E oil to the castor oil before applying. Leave it on overnight, then rinse it off with lukewarm water in the morning.
- Alternatively, mix together 2 tablespoons each of castor oil and fresh aloe vera gel. Apply it on your eyelashes using a cotton swab. Leave it on overnight, then rinse it off the next morning.
Follow either of these remedies daily for 2 to 3 months.
2. Olive Oil
Olive oil is a well-known natural remedy for thicker hair growth as well as eyelashes. This oil is rich in vitamin E and oleic acid that nourish and add volume to your eyelashes. It also helps keep the lashes dark.
- Dip a clean, old mascara stick or simply a cotton swab in warm olive oil.
- Before going to bed, apply the oil carefully on your lashes, just as you would apply mascara.
- Leave it on overnight, then wash it off with lukewarm water in the morning.
- Repeat this remedy daily for a few months until you get the desired result.
3. Brush Your Eyelashes
Brushing your lashes can also help them grow. It will help get rid of dust and dirt particles to prevent clogged pores. Moreover, it will encourage blood circulation so that more nutrients reach the hair follicles.
- Put a few drops of vitamin E oil or petroleum jelly on a soft-bristled eyelash brush or comb.
- Use the brush to apply the oil or jelly directly on your lashes.
- Continue brushing the lashes gently using upward strokes. Start from the root of the lashes and slowly move upward to the tip.
- Brush for about 5 minutes twice daily until you see desired results.
4. Eyelid Massage
Massaging your eyelids promotes the growth of your eyelashes. It improves blood flow to the hair follicles, which means more nutrients reach the follicles. This stimulates hair growth and prevents thinning and breakage of your lashes.
- Put a few drops of oil, petroleum jelly or shea butter on your eyelids.
- Using your fingertips, massage along your lids and lash line in small, circular motions.
- Massage for 5 to 7 minutes twice daily for a few months.
Note: Before massaging your eyelids, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a wonderful home remedy that can help you get long, thick eyelashes. It contains several vitamins and nutrients that promote the growth of your lashes. Moreover, it helps keep your eyelashes moisturized.
- Using a clean, old mascara wand, apply some fresh aloe vera gel on your lashes before going to bed. Leave it on overnight, then rinse it off with warm water the next morning.
- Alternatively, mix together 1 tablespoon each of aloe vera gel and jojoba oil along with 1 teaspoon of chamomile infusion. Apply this mixture on your lashes twice a day using a clean, old mascara wand. Wait 15 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water.
Follow either of these remedies for several months for best results.
Note: Make sure to remove the latex by rinsing the aloe vera gel thoroughly before applying.
6. Lemon Peels
You can also use lemon peels to add volume to your eyelashes. The peels are rich in vitamins C and B, folic acid and other nutrients that promote the growth of eyelashes. Also, when infused in olive or castor oil, they will help enhance the cleansing and stimulating properties of the oil.
- Put 1 tablespoon of moderately dried lemon peels in a container.
- Pour enough olive or castor oil into the container, so that the peels get soaked.
- Allow it to sit for a couple of weeks.
- Using an old mascara stick, apply the oil on your eyelashes before going to bed.
- Leave it on overnight, then wash it off with warm water in the morning.
- Follow this remedy for a few months to get encouraging results.
The high protein in eggs can help create thicker and longer eyelashes. In addition, it contains biotin and B vitamins that play a major role in improving the overall texture of your lashes.
- Beat 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of glycerin until you get a thick, creamy texture.
- Dip a cotton swab into this mixture and apply it on your eyelashes.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes, then rinse it off using cold water.
- Follow this remedy 3 times a week for a few months.
8. Green Tea
Green tea is another effective home remedy for longer, thicker eyelashes. It is rich in flavonoids that stimulate the growth of your lashes.
- Prepare a cup of unsweetened green tea, and set it aside to cool down.
- Use a cotton swab to apply the green tea on your lashes, from the roots to the tips.
- Allow it to sit for 15 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water.
- Do this twice daily for 2 to 3 months.
Note: When using green tea, make sure it does not get in your eyes.
9. Coconut Milk
Coconut milk is rich in protein and essential fats that can help you enjoy thicker, longer eyelashes. It will also add a beautiful shine to your lashes.
- Dip a cotton swab in cold coconut milk and apply it on your eyelashes.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Follow this remedy once or twice daily for a few months to get the desired result.
10. Proper Diet
Eating a healthy, balanced diet is another important step to enjoy thick eyelashes. Just like the hair on your head, your lashes also need a good supply of vitamins and minerals to help them grow longer, thicker and stronger. Protein and vitamins A, B, C and E as well as iron, zinc, copper, magnesium and selenium are important for hair growth.
- Include plenty of fresh fruits like apples, guava, mangos, papayas, avocado and grapefruit in your diet.
- Eat green vegetables like spinach, broccoli, cabbage and kale.
- Include whole grains as well as protein-rich foods such as legumes, nuts, seeds and beans in your diet. Also, eat alfalfa sprouts as they are high in protein as well as vitamins and minerals.
- Use extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil for your cooking as these oils contain healthy fats. Remember, moderation is the key.
- Also, be sure to get adequate fluid intake every day.
As lack of essential vitamins and nutrients can have a huge impact on eyelash growth, you can also opt for a multivitamin supplement. Consult a doctor for the supplement type and correct dosage.
- Never go to sleep with eye makeup on. This can dry your lashes, making them brittle. Remove all your eye makeup with a makeup remover to give your lashes a chance to breathe and grow.
- Be gentle with your lashes. Avoid pulling on your lashes when removing or applying makeup.
- Be sure your eye makeup products like mascara, eyeliner and so on are of the best quality.
- Avoid using fake eyelashes that, when used regularly, can damage your natural lashes.
- Stop using eyelash curlers.