The skin consists of three layers – the epidermis or outer layer, the dermis or middle layer and the hypodermis or innermost layer. At regular intervals, the outer layer or epidermis is completely replaced with new skin.
During this time, the dead skin begins to peel off. This is an important and natural part of the healing process. Most of the time, this process is not noticeable to people.
However, in some cases there may be excessive peeling on the face, fingers and other parts of the body. This can happen when the skin is exposed to the sun for prolonged periods of time and the harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays have damaged the top layer.
Peeling skin is very common in those who are experiencing dry skin. It can lead to scaly and inflamed areas of the skin accompanied by itchiness and irritation.
Other causes of peeling skin include extreme weather conditions, skin rashes or infections, allergies, eczema, psoriasis, ringworm, dermatitis, a weak immune system, certain types of cancer, and side effects of certain medications and chemicals.
Peeling skin is not a very serious condition and can go away on its own. However, natural remedies can speed up the healing process.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for peeling skin.
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil has skin-nourishing fatty acids that work as an excellent moisturizer for dry skin. The oil coats the skin and locks in moisture. Plus, the vitamin E in olive oil helps the body fight free radicals that are often responsible for skin aging.
- Slightly warm some extra-virgin olive oil in a microwave. Liberally rub the warm olive oil on the affected area and gently massage it so the oil penetrates deep inside the skin. Do this three times daily until your condition improves.
- Mix two tablespoons of salt with enough olive oil to create a thick paste. Use this paste as a body scrub to exfoliate dead skin cells. Do this twice a week until your skin heals completely.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has soothing and moisturizing properties that help get rid of peeling skin. It also reduces inflammation, irritation and itching.
- Mix two tablespoons of fresh aloe vera gel and a little vitamin E oil.
- Apply the mixture on the affected skin.
- Allow it to dry on its own, and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Repeat two or three times daily for at least one week.
3. Oatmeal Bath
Oatmeal is very helpful in reducing the itching and irritation associated with peeling skin. Also, its soothing properties help the skin retain its natural moisture.
- Stir one cup of oatmeal into a bath tub filled with warm water.
- Soak in this soothing bath water for 30 minutes.
- Rinse your body with clean water, and then pat dry with a soft towel.
- Apply a gentle moisturizer on your body.
- Follow this remedy daily before going to bed until you are satisfied with the result.
Milk is very beneficial for dealing with peeling skin. It works as a natural skin moisturizer, the protein in milk has a soothing effect and the lactic acid will reduce irritation as well as itching.
- Soak a washcloth in ice-cold whole milk and wring out the excess milk. Put the washcloth on the affected area for 10 minutes. Then wash the skin with clean water. Repeat the process two or three times daily until your skin is healthy again.
- Mix two tablespoons of whole milk and one tablespoon of honey. Apply this mixture on the affected skin and massage gently. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash it off with warm water. Do this twice daily for about one week.
5. Lemon and Sugar Scrub
Being a strong astringent, lemon has the ability to dissolve dead skin cells and help reduce peeling.
Also, its healing and soothing properties are good for your skin. When combined with sugar, it works as a great natural scrub for your skin.
- Mix together one-half cup of sugar, juice from half a lemon, and one tablespoon each of honey and olive oil.
- Apply this mixture on your skin and rub in circular motions for a few minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water.
- Repeat this remedy once or twice a week until you get rid of your peeling skin.
Cucumber is a natural astringent and also contains plenty of water that helps keep the skin hydrated. Plus, its cooling effect helps alleviate irritation and itching. The vitamin C in cucumber will also reduce sunburn and facilitate skin repair.
- Grate one cucumber and apply the paste on the affected skin. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water. Do this twice daily for one or two weeks to maintain adequate skin moisture.
- Mix one peeled cucumber and two tablespoons of aloe vera gel in a blender to make a smooth paste. Apply this paste on the peeling skin. Leave it on for 10 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water. Do this once daily until the problem is resolved.
7. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the best remedies for peeling skin. It has skin-nourishing fatty acids that work as an excellent skin moisturizer. Also, its antioxidant property helps reduce itching and irritation.
- Warm some extra-virgin coconut oil in a microwave.
- Rub the warm oil on the affected skin area and gently massage so the oil is absorbed by the skin.
- Follow this simple remedy two or three times daily and you will see results within a few days.
Honey can rejuvenate peeling skin. It contains fructose, water, oil, glucose and enzymes that make it a great natural skin moisturizer. Honey also reduces itchiness and irritation associated with peeling skin.
- Rub a small amount of honey on the affected skin. Leave it on for 10 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
- Mix together one teaspoon each of honey, turmeric powder and sandalwood powder. Apply this mixture on the affected area, leave it on for 30 minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
Follow either of these remedies two or three times daily for one week to make your skin soft and supple.
The enzymes, acids, minerals and trace elements in yogurt help a lot in the home treatment of peeling skin. Also, yogurt acts as a deep moisturizer for dry skin.
- Mix two tablespoons of yogurt with two teaspoons of honey. Apply this mixture liberally on the affected skin. Allow it to dry on its own, and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Alternatively, prepare a mixture made from the pulp of half of a ripe banana and two tablespoons of yogurt. Apply this mixture to the affected area, leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash off with warm water.
Choose one of these remedies and use it twice daily until you get the desired result.
Mint is another beneficial ingredient for treating peeling skin. This herb has a calming effect on the skin and helps moisturize the skin and keep it refreshed and rejuvenated.
- Extract the juice from some fresh mint leaves.
- Apply it on the affected skin before going to bed.
- The next morning, wash the skin with lukewarm water and pat dry with a soft towel.
- Apply a light moisturizer.
- Follow this treatment daily until your dry and peeling skin looks healthy again.
Along with these remedies, you must follow these additional tips:
- Drink eight to 10 glasses of water every day to keep the skin hydrated
- Take cold showers to ease itching
- Avoid direct exposure to sunrays or wear sunscreen to protect your skin
- Do not scratch or try to forcefully peel the skin
- Avoid taking hot baths
- Apply moisturizer regularly