9. Green Tea
According to a 2011 study in Arthritis Research and Therapy, green tea helps prevent as well as control symptoms of osteoarthritis. It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help reduce joint pain and swelling. Moreover, green tea helps preserve bone density and maintain bone strength.
- Add 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves to a cup of hot water.
- Cover and steep for a few minutes.
- Strain, then add a little honey.
- Drink 2 to 3 cups of green tea daily.
A popular Ayurvedic remedy for osteoarthritis is cinnamon. Known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, cinnamon can help fight joint pain and swelling. It will also relax stiff muscles.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 1 tablespoon of honey in a glass of warm water. Drink it every morning on an empty stomach.
- Another option is to make a paste of cinnamon powder with a little water. You can also add a little honey. Use it to massage the affected area for a few minutes 2 or 3 times daily.
Follow these remedies until your condition improves.
- Try to sleep well as it helps cope with the pain and stress of osteoarthritis.
- Use a mixture of avocado and soybean oils to massage the affected areas to control pain and inflammation.
- Quit smoking and drinking as they may worsen your condition.
- Meditate to keep your mind off the pain.
- Try yoga to improve joint flexibility and strengthen muscles.
- Practice tai chi 2 or 3 times a week to get rid of symptoms.
- Try splints, braces, canes and other devices that can help ease your discomfort and prevent injury.
- Stay positive as it can have a huge impact on how you feel and how well you function.
- Ask your doctor for nutritional supplements that can help manage your symptoms.
- Expose affected areas to morning sunlight to get vitamin D, which is essential for healthy bones.
- Include foods rich in vitamins C and E in your diet. These vitamins help keep your bones strong and manage the symptoms.
- Eat foods high in omega-3 fatty acids like nuts, seeds and cold-water fish to reduce inflammation and pain.
- If you are overweight, take necessary steps to lose weight. This will reduce pressure on weight-bearing joints and, in turn, lessen pain.
- You can also try acupuncture to relieve pain and improve mobility.