Leukorrhea is a very common problem among women. It refers to a thin or thick, whitish or yellowish vaginal discharge that may occur in between menstruation cycles or during pregnancy and usually lasts from a few days to weeks.
In most cases, it is nothing to be alarmed about and is considered normal as long as it does not cause irritation, discomfort, odor and itching.
Leokorrhea, however, can also be caused by hormonal changes, particularly due to an increase in estrogen.
A vaginal infection or STD, too, may cause leukorrhea, especially if the discharge is yellow or green and accompanied by foul odor.
Other factors that contribute to abnormal discharge are unhygienic conditions such as a tampon left too long in the vagina, and conditions like anemia and diabetes. At times, injury or trauma to the vagina can also trigger leukorrhea.
As already mentioned, leukorrhea in most cases is not a cause for concern. However, if you have a lot of discomfort, consult a doctor.
There are many over-the-counter as well as prescribed medicines to treat leukorrhea. You can also deal with this problem with the help of some simple home remedies.
If you are pregnant, consult your doctor before trying any home remedy for leukorrhea.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for leukorrhea.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is considered beneficial for treating leukorrhea. It helps restore your body’s natural pH balance. Also, its acidic and antiseptic properties help restore the acidic quality of the vaginal flora and reduce vaginal odor.
- Mix equal amounts of distilled water and raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Use it as a vaginal wash once or twice a day for a few days.
- You can also drink a glass of water mixed with one or two tablespoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar once daily.
Note: Though considered effective by many still, douching is supported by little or no scientific evidence and is even advised against as it may disrupt the natural balance of bacteria in the vagina.
2. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds help improve the pH level in the vagina and are also also believed to affect estrogen levels. Plus, the seeds work as a natural immune booster.
- Soak one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. The next morning, strain the water and add one-half teaspoon of honey. Drink it on an empty stomach.
- Alternatively, boil two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in four cups of water for 30 minutes. Strain and allow it to cool. Use this water as a vaginal wash three or four times daily until the symptoms subside.
3. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry, also known as amla, has anti-infection properties that make it extremely beneficial for vaginal health. Plus, its high vitamin C content boosts your immune system to help your body fight off the problem.
- Mix one or two teaspoons of Indian gooseberry power with enough honey to make a thick paste. Have this mixture twice daily for about a week.
- Another option is to boil one teaspoon of dried Indian gooseberry root powder in one cup of water until the quantity is reduced to half. Add a little sugar or honey and drink it on an empty stomach every morning.
Try to follow one of these remedies for one month for positive results.
Bananas are another good home remedy for leukorrhea. The fruit is also useful in relieving complaints like digestive disturbances and lethargy that could be accompanying the problem.
- Eat one to two overripe bananas daily to help control leukorrhea.
- You can also mix two tablespoons of banana flower juice with two teaspoons of powdered palmyrah candy and have it once daily.
Follow these remedies daily until you get the desired result.
According to Ayurveda, figs are considered a good remedy for leukorrhea. They have a powerful laxative effect that helps remove harmful toxins and waste from the body, in turn helping reduce leukorrhea.
- Soak two to three dried figs in one cup of water overnight. The next morning, blend the soaked figs in water and drink it on an empty stomach.
- You can also grind equal amounts of the bark of the fig tree and banyan tree into a fine powder. Mix one tablespoon of this powder in two cups of water. Use this solution as a vaginal wash.
Cranberries contain antibiotic, antifungal and antioxidant properties that can help prevent bacteria from attaching to the vaginal wall and fight the problem of leukorrhea.
- Drink one glass of unsweetened cranberry juice two or three times daily until the problem is resolved.
- If cranberry juice is not available, you can take cranberry tablets. Consult your doctor for the correct dosage.
Okra, also known as lady’s finger, is beneficial in treating leukorrhea. Being mucilaginous in nature, okra helps remove mucous from your system, in turn reducing vaginal discharge.
- Wash 100g okras and cut them into small pieces.
- Boil the okra pieces in half a liter or about two cups of water for 20 minutes until the water is reduced to half.
- Strain and divide this solution into three parts.
- Take one part of this solution along with some honey three times daily.
- Follow this remedy until condition improves.
8. Indian Lilac
Indian lilac, also known as neem or margosa, is very effective for treating vaginal odor that may occur with leukorrhea. Its antiseptic properties help fight off vaginal infection and reduce itching and other discomforts associated with leukorrhea.
- Boil a handful of neem leaves in water. Strain and allow it to cool. Use it to rinse the vaginal area once daily for a few weeks.
- You can also dry roast a handful of Indian lilac leaves in a pan. Allow them to cool and then crush them to make a fine powder. Mix two teaspoons of this powder with enough water to make a paste. Apply it to your vagina and surrounding area. Do this twice daily for a few days.
Pomegranate has strong healing and medicinal properties that are beneficial in the treatment of leukorrhea. The fruit, as well as its leaves and rind, can be used.
- Drink a glass of freshly extracted pomegranate juice once daily for one month.
- Alternatively, grind together 30 fresh pomegranate leaves and 10 black peppercorns. Mix this paste in half a glass of water. Strain and drink it twice daily for three weeks.
- Another option is to dry the rind of a pomegranate and grind or crush it into a powder. Mix one tablespoon of this powder in two cups of water. Use this solution as a vaginal douche.
The antiseptic and antioxidant properties in saffron help treat leukorrhea. Plus, saffron acts as an immune booster to speed up recovery.
- Boil one teaspoon of saffron in one-fourth cup of water until the water is reduced to one tablespoon.
- Divide this solution into three equal portions.
- Mix one portion with an equal amount of water.
- Drink this solution three times daily for several days.
- Wash undergarments daily with an antibiotic solution, and let them dry under the sun.
- Avoid wearing dirty, tight or synthetic undergarments.
- Change your undergarment two or three times a day until the problem is resolved.
- Consider wearing a panty liner.
- Thoroughly wash the vagina and its surrounding area with water and medicated soap twice daily.
- Wipe from front to back after using the toilet.
- Avoid oily and dried foods.
- Avoid coffee, alcohol and aerated drinks.
- Increase your fluid intake to help flush out toxins.
- Try to do some light exercises or yoga daily.
Although these home remedies are safe and effective, it is always best to consult your doctor before trying any of them, especially if you are pregnant.
I like breast firming
no doubt the site is very helpful to get rid of various problems.
n i tried for the remedy 3rd one…indian gooseberry n honey to get rid of leukorreah …bt when i’ll take it i feel that i am suffering from acidity problem..can u help me that what to do.
Helpful my foot… Instead of curing my problemblem the Apple cider vinegar was to strong it ended up making me feel bruised down there… Next time I’ll rather go with drinking cranberry juice or drinking milk and turmeric!
Comment:U r doin a great job. Thank u.
Cured really works wonder, I was suffering in morning, too much sensation but after applying it, I got a big relief.
Really you should try