Basil also works as a natural antihistamine and hence it is very effective for treating hives. Plus, it can effectively combat itching and inflammation.
- Put one tablespoon of dried basil leaves in a jar and add hot water to it. Cover the jar and allow it to cool. Apply this mixture on the affected area using a cotton cloth.
- Crush some fresh basil leaves with your hand. Gently apply them on the hives. Allow them to dry and then rinse off your skin with lukewarm water.
Follow either of these remedies as many times as needed for relief.
Due to its cooling effect, mint is also a popular remedy for hives. Plus, it has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help reduce the itching and burning sensations very quickly.
- Steep two teaspoons of freshly crushed mint leaves in one cup of boiling water for five minutes. Strain and put the liquid in the refrigerator. Use this cool mint water to wash the inflamed and irritated skin several times a day.
- Boil one teaspoon of crushed mint leaves and two teaspoons of sugar in one cup of water for five minutes. Strain and allow it to cool. Drink this once or twice daily, depending on the severity of your condition.
- Start keeping a daily diary to figure out what triggers your hives. This will help you avoid the triggers.
- Wear loose, smooth-textured cotton clothing to avoid further skin irritation.
- Reduce stress as it can make your condition worse.
- Increase the amount of vitamin C in your diet.
- Avoid hot baths and showers during an outbreak.
- Stay out of direct sunlight as much as possible.
These remedies and tips will help reduce the intensity of hives. However, if your symptoms remain for more than one week or you have complications like difficulty breathing, seek medical attention immediately.