Be it men or women, young or old, everybody wants to have radiant, flawless skin. Healthy skin adds grace to one’s overall beauty and is a sign of good health.
With age, the skin loses its original elasticity and suppleness. Discoloration, fine lines, age spots, saggy skin and wrinkles begin to show, making your skin appear dull and lifeless.
There are many other causes of poor skin quality, such as pollution, improper skin care routine, exposure to the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays, unhealthy diet, dehydration, stress, smoking, drinking too much alcohol and inadequate sleep. Moreover, health problems can take a toll on your skin’s health and quality.
Nevertheless, with some simple lifestyle changes and easy-to-follow home remedies you can revitalize and rejuvenate your skin to make it look more youthful. In fact, these measures can easily help keep your skin young and beautiful for much longer than you expect.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for skin rejuvenation.
1. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice helps rejuvenate skin by reducing age spots and other signs of aging. The vitamin C in lemon is a strong antioxidant that helps protect the skin from free radical damage. In addition, its bleaching properties help improve your overall skin complexion.
- Pour a few drops of honey on 1/2 of a lemon. Rub it gently on your face using upward strokes. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then rinse your face. Do this once or twice a week.
- Alternatively, simply squeeze the juice from 1 lemon and apply it on the skin. Leave it on for about 15 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water. Use this remedy once daily.
- Another option is to mix together 1 teaspoon each of lemon juice and egg white, along with ½ teaspoon of milk cream. Apply this paste on your face. Wait 15 minutes, then rinse it off with cold water. Repeat once or twice a week.
The high water content in cucumber is nourishing and hydrating for your skin. Its astringent and soothing properties benefit acne-prone and sunburned skin and help rejuvenate your skin. In addition, the antioxidant property in cucumber helps maintain clear, glowing and younger-looking skin.
- Mix together 2 teaspoons of grated cucumber and ½ cup of yogurt to make a face mask. Apply this on your face and neck. After 20 minutes, rinse it off with warm water. Use this face pack twice a week.
- Alternatively, mix equal amounts of grated cucumber and watermelon pulp. Add a few drops of lemon juice to it, then apply it on your face. Allow it to dry, then wash it off with lukewarm water. Use this face pack a few times a week.
Papaya is rich in vitamins A, C and E, and has antioxidant properties that help in rejuvenating skin. It helps keep the skin soft, smooth and moisturized. In addition, the alpha hydroxy acids in papaya help exfoliate the skin. It also is beneficial in treating acne, blemishes, dark spots and other similar problems.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of mashed ripe papaya, 1 tablespoon of honey and ½ teaspoon of fresh lemon juice.
- Apply this on your face. After 15 minutes, wash it off with warm water.
- Finally, splash some cold water on your face.
- Use this face mask once a week to enjoy beautiful skin.
Banana is excellent for rejuvenating your skin, especially dry skin, because of its moisturizing properties. It also helps fight wrinkles, fine lines and other signs of aging.
- Mash 1 small ripe banana. Add 2 tablespoons of milk cream, 1 tablespoon each of organic honey and oat flour, and a little water to make a paste. Apply this paste on your face, let it sit for 30 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Alternatively, mash a medium-size banana and mix it with 2 teaspoons of organic honey and a few drops of olive oil. Apply it on your face and rinse it off after 20 minutes.
Follow either of these remedies once or twice a week to enjoy radiant skin.
Yogurt is extremely beneficial for your skin. The lactic acid present in yogurt works like a natural cleanser, exfoliating agent and moisturizer. It can help replenish the lost glow and radiance of your skin.
- Prepare a mixture with 2 teaspoons of plain yogurt and ½ teaspoon each of turmeric powder and gram flour. Apply this paste on your face and neck. Allow it to dry, then rinse it off with cool water. Use this face pack once or twice a week.
- Another option is to simply mix 2 teaspoons of organic honey in 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt. Apply it to your face, wait 15 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water. Use this remedy a few times a week.
6. Orange Peel
Being rich in vitamin C, citric acid and other antioxidants, orange peels help reduce blemishes and maintain healthy and younger-looking skin. The peels help cleanse, exfoliate and tighten the skin.
- Dry the peels from a few oranges under the sun for a few days.
- Grind the peels into a fine powder.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of orange peel powder, 2 teaspoons of gram flour and enough water to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on your hands, neck and face.
- Wait 15 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water.
- Use this face mask once or twice a week.
Avocado is also helpful in rejuvenating dull-looking skin. It works as a natural skin moisturizer and helps treat dry skin, age spots, scars and sun damage. In addition, the omega-3 fatty acids in avocado help maintain your skin’s elasticity and firmness.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of avocado pulp and honey with 3 tablespoons of fresh cream in a blender to make a paste. Apply it on your skin and leave it on for at least 30 minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water. Use it a few times a week.
- You can also use avocado oil to massage your body before taking a bath. This is an easy way to keep your skin moisturized and radiant.
8. Green Tea
Green tea face masks are also great for skin rejuvenation. Green tea is rich in antioxidants that promote healthy skin and help fight aging. It also acts as a natural UV protector, thus preventing sun damage.
- Add ½ teaspoon lemon juice and a little turmeric powder to 2 tablespoons of brewed and cooled green tea. Apply it on your face and neck and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Another option is to mix 2 teaspoons of organic honey in 2 tablespoons of brewed and cooled green tea. Apply it on your skin, allow it to dry for 15 minutes and then rinse it off.
Another effective remedy for skin rejuvenation is tomato. It is an excellent source of the anti-aging antioxidant lycopene that helps protect the skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays. In addition, the vitamin C in tomato aids collagen production and protects cells from free radical damage.
- Mix together 3 tablespoons of tomato juice, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of milk cream to make a smooth paste. Apply this paste on your skin, let it sit for 15 minutes, then wash it off with cool water. Use it twice a week.
- You can also use fresh tomato puree to treat pimples and blemishes. Apply it to the affected area, leave it on for at least 20 minutes, then rinse it off.
Oatmeal works as a natural skin cleanser. It helps remove excess oil, dirt and impurities that are responsible for many skin problems. Moreover, oatmeal protects the skin from sun damage.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon of ground oatmeal, ½ teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of water to make a paste.
- Gently rub it onto your skin in circular motions.
- Allow it to sit for 10 minutes, then rinse it off.
- Use it once a week to exfoliate your skin.
- Always remove your makeup and wash your face properly before going to bed.
- You can use plain rose water to remove makeup and to cleanse your face.
- Apply a moisturizing lotion after washing your skin to avoid dryness.
- Quit smoking and excessive alcohol consumption as it causes skin dryness and accelerates skin aging.
- Do physical exercises daily to eliminate toxins from the body and promote good blood circulation.
- Exfoliate your skin once a week.
- Apply a sunscreen every day to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays.
- Drink an ample amount of water throughout the day to maintain healthy skin and eliminate toxins.
- If using makeup, choose quality products and avoid using any that have expired.
- Reduce stress as it contributes to dull-looking skin. It also causes skin problems like acne, pimples, psoriasis, eczema and rosacea.
- Get at least 6 hours of sound sleep daily. A 10-minute power nap during the day will also help you enjoy refreshed skin.
- Nourish your skin from within by eating a healthy diet. Eat vegetables, fruits, fish oils and nuts like almonds and walnuts to keep your skin young and healthy.