9. Spicy Tomato Tea
This is an excellent remedy for getting relief from nasal congestion, as it can help improve the flow of mucus through the nasal passages.
As it contains healthy components such as tomato juice, garlic and lemon, spicy tomato tea is also good for giving a boost to your immunity.
- Boil 1 cup of tomato juice along with 2 garlic cloves (chopped), 2 to 3 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice, ½ teaspoon of hot sauce (if you do not have any hot sauce, use ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper) and a pinch of sea salt.
- Drink this tea slowly while it is hot, twice daily for a few days.
Also, eat very spicy foods and include ginger, garlic, onion and red chili more often while preparing your food to make it spicier. You can also have chicken soup.
Turmeric works as a strong antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agent, thus making it another effective home remedy for nasal congestion.
The curcumin in it helps reduce the swelling and inflammation in the nasal passages, thereby providing quick relief from the symptoms. It also gives your immune system a powerful and welcome boost.
- Heat 1 glass of milk, add 1 teaspoon of turmeric to it and let it boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Pour it in a cup, add a little raw honey and drink this turmeric milk twice daily to speed up the healing process.
- Alternatively, mix together 2 tablespoons of turmeric juice, 1 tablespoon each of lemon juice and honey, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Have this mixture 1 or 2 times daily.
- Drink more water to help thin the mucus and also keep the body hydrated.
- Have homemade chicken soup.
- Eat foods high in omega-3 fatty acids to fight inflammation.
- Increase your intake of vitamin C to boost your immunity.
- Both acupressure and self-massage can help reduce the discomforts.
- A warm compress applied on the nostrils can help unclog a stuffy nose by opening the nasal passages from the outside.
- Get plenty of rest for a few days to help your body recover quickly.
- Maintain adequate humidity inside your house.
- Stay away from possible allergens that may be aggravating your condition.
- Avoid certain foods to reduce mucus, such as dairy products, grains, sugar and potatoes and other starchy root vegetables.
- Include exercise in your daily routine to clear out congestion quickly.