Hawthorn is another effective herb for the treatment of heart palpitations. It helps increase blood flow to the heart and improves cardiac muscle contractions, in turn helping to steady the heartbeat.
You can take this herb in supplement form. The general dosage is from 160 to 900 mg daily and is taken for 3 to 24 weeks. Consult your doctor before taking this supplement as it can interfere with certain medications. Plus, this herb may not be suitable during pregnancy.
10. Lemon Balm
Lemon balm, also known as Melissa officinalis, is also a great herb to take for heart palpitations. It has a tonic effect on the heart and circulatory system. Moreover, it works as a mild relaxant and helps reduce anxiety. It can also help normalize an overactive thyroid.
- Add 1 teaspoon of dried lemon balm to a cup of hot water. Cover and steep for 5 to 10 minutes. Drink a cup of this tea whenever you have palpitations.
- Also, include lemon balm in your cooking or take a supplement after consulting your doctor.
- Increase your intake of green vegetables and fresh fruits.
- Eat 1 to 2 ripe guavas on an empty stomach every day.
- Try to identify your triggers and avoid them.
- Limit or stop your intake of alcoholic beverages.
- Avoid foods that contain caffeine like coffee, chocolate and soft drinks.
- Do not smoke or use tobacco products.
- Avoid illegal drugs, such as cocaine and amphetamines, as they can cause palpitations.
- Keep blood pressure and cholesterol levels under control.
- Drink an adequate amount of water as dehydration can lead to palpitations.
- Get at least 20 minutes of aerobic exercise 3 or 4 times a week. Walking, running and playing tennis are all excellent choices.
- Keep your stress level down with the help of meditation, yoga and other relaxation techniques.
- Get at least 6 to 7 hours of sleep each night.
- Always check with your doctor before adjusting medication or taking any new supplements.