Dermatitis refers to inflammation of the skin. It can be of different types like contact dermatitis, atopic dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, etc.
Symptoms of dermatitis include inflammation, swelling, itching, burning sensation and redness. Severe dermatitis can also produce blisters, crusting and scaling of skin.
Some of the common causes are an allergic reaction, certain environmental conditions, irritants, accumulation of toxins in the body, nutritional deficiencies, and genetics. People who have thin or dry skin are more prone to dermatitis.
There are many home remedies that can give you relief from dermatitis symptoms. For these natural remedies, you just need some common ingredients from your kitchen.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for dermatitis.
1. Coconut Oil
The amazing antimicrobial and moisturizing properties of coconut oil can greatly help deal with the problem of dermatitis. It can significantly reduce redness, scaling and dryness within a few days.
Gently apply some warm coconut oil on the affected area to soften the skin. For best results, use virgin coconut oil daily before going to bed.
An oatmeal bath can help treat skin irritation, itching and rashes. It will also help keep your skin moisturized.
- Mix one cup of fine powdered oatmeal in lukewarm bath water.
- Soak in this bath water for 15 to 20 minutes daily.
- Repeat this remedy daily for one month.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another effective ingredient that can be used for treating dermatitis is apple cider vinegar. It will relieve inflammation and itchiness.
- Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water. Use a cotton ball to apply this solution on the affected skin. Allow it to sit for about 30 minutes, and then clean the area with a damp cotton cloth. Repeat this remedy daily for a few weeks to see positive results.
- Another option is to consume two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar mixed in a glass of water two or three times daily.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is widely used in the treatment of inflammatory skin conditions like dermatitis. This will help to restore the pH balance of your skin and relieve the itching sensation and skin irritation. It also has moisturizing and antimicrobial properties.
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel several times a day for a few months to get rid of dermatitis.
- You can also drink a few ounces of aloe vera juice to enjoy healthy and glowing skin.
5. Vitamin E
One of the best and easiest home remedies for dermatitis is vitamin E oil. This oil promotes healing and provides relief from itching and inflammation.
So, apply vitamin E oil on your skin, especially at night before going to bed. You can also try lotions and creams containing vitamin E.
Regular consumption of foods rich in vitamin E, such as sunflower seeds, wheat germ oil, peanut butter and corn, can also help prevent eczema.
Honey is a very commonly used ingredient that can help reduce the inflammatory condition of the skin. It also has antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
- Mix equal parts of raw honey, beeswax and olive oil. Heat the mixture in a double-boiler to make an ointment. When it cools, apply it to your skin and leave it on for several hours. Do this daily for several weeks to notice positive improvement in your skin condition.
- When dealing with radiation-induced dermatitis, applying manuka honey twice daily has been found to be beneficial.
The therapeutic properties of chamomile flowers can have a soothing effect on the affected skin.
- Steep two or three teaspoons of chamomile flowers in a cup of water for 10 to 15 minutes. Cool the solution. Now, dip a piece of clean cloth in it, place on the affected area and leave it on for 20 minutes. Do this a few times daily until you are satisfied with the results.
- Alternatively, you can use a chamomile cream a few times a day or mix five to 10 drops of chamomile essential oil in your bath water and soak in it for about 20 minutes daily until you get relief.
Note: Perform a patch test before using chamomile on your skin to rule out the possibility of it causing an allergic skin reaction.
Indian lilac or neem leaves can also be used to treat the problem of dermatitis to a great extent. It will help restore your skin’s health and protect it from various infections.
- Mix one tablespoon each of sesame oil and turmeric powder in one tablespoon of ground neem leaves. Apply this paste on the affected skin and leave it on for a few hours before washing it off. Do this daily for a few months.
- Another option is to add a few drops of neem oil to warm bath water and soak in it for about 20 minutes daily until you get relief.
Another very effective ingredient that can be used in the natural treatment of dermatitis is turmeric because of its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties.
- Heat a quart of water and add one-half teaspoon of turmeric powder to it.
- Boil the solution.
- Allow it to cool and then drink it. You can also use this solution to wash the affected area.
- Do this daily for a few months.
10. Slippery Elm
Slippery elm is a highly beneficial herbal remedy for dermatitis due to its high mucilage content which helps moisturize the skin and promotes healing.
- Wash and then grind a few slippery elm leaves to make a paste.
- Apply it on the affected skin.
- Leave it on until it dries completely and then wash it off.
- Do this thrice daily until you see improvement.
To conclude, dermatitis is usually not a serious condition and you can easily deal with the problem using these natural treatments. If you still do not get relief then it is recommended to consult a dermatologist.