The colon, a part of the digestive system, is responsible for extracting water, salt, vitamins and nutrients from indigestible food matter, processing food that was not digested in the small intestine, and eliminating solid waste from the body.
However, when it does not function properly, it begins to absorb toxins instead of eliminating them, thereby causing problems like headaches, bloating, constipation, gas, weight gain, low energy, fatigue, and chronic illnesses.
These problems can also be caused by undigested foods (most foods that we eat today are loaded with additives, preservatives and other chemicals) that leads to buildup of mucus in the colon, producing toxins that poison the body.
However, with the help of colon cleansing, you can easily get rid of harmful toxins and promote healthy intestinal bacteria. It will also help increase your energy and improve the body’s absorption of vitamins and nutrients. There are many treatments available for colon cleansing. But for many people, the best options are simple, natural home remedies.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for colon cleansing. Before starting any colon cleansing program, consult your doctor for proper guidance, especially if you are taking any medications or suffering from any health condition.
For colon cleansing, the best thing you can do is drink plenty of water. It is essential to drink at least 10 to 12 glasses of water in a day. Regular consumption of water will give your body the liquid and lubrication required to flush out the harmful toxins and waste from the body in a natural manner.
Drinking plenty of water will also stimulate the natural peristaltic action, helping the food to move through the digestive system. Also, water is essential to keep your body well hydrated. Along with water, you can also drink fresh fruit and vegetable juices.
2. Apple Juice
Fresh apple juice is one of the best home remedies for colon cleansing. Drinking apple juice regularly encourages bowel movements, breaks down toxins and improves the health of liver as well as the digestive system. Freshly squeezed apple juice provides the best results, but if it is not available, you can use packaged organic apple juice.
- Start your day with one glass of unfiltered apple juice.
- After 30 minutes, drink one glass of water.
- Repeat this routine several times throughout the day and continue for three days. In between, you can also drink one glass of prune juice. When following this remedy, it is advisable to avoid solid foods.
3. Lemon Juice
Lemon has antioxidant properties and its high vitamin C content is good for the digestive system. Hence, lemon juice can be used for colon cleansing.
- Mix the juice of one lemon, a pinch of sea salt and a little honey in a glass of lukewarm water. Drink this solution on an empty stomach in the morning. This will help you to enjoy more energy, better bowel movement and better skin condition.
- Add two tablespoons of fresh-squeezed lemon juice to a glass of apple juice. Drink it three or four times a day. This will thin out the mucous in the bowel.
Follow either of these remedies for a few days.
4. Raw Vegetable Juice
For colon cleansing, it is essential to keep away from processed and cooked food for one or two days. Instead of solid food, drink fresh vegetable juice several times a day. Green vegetables, in particular contain chlorophyll that helps remove toxins. Also, the vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and enzymes present in it will keep your body healthy and well energized. You can also drink herbal teas.
It is advisable not to use ready-made vegetable juices as they do not contain the effective enzymes that help your body break down and remove waste products. You can easily make fresh vegetable juice from carrots, beets, corn, squash, spinach, kale, etc. at home using a juicer or blender.
5. Fiber-rich Foods
Eating foods rich in fiber will help cleanse the colon of the harmful toxins. Fiber helps keep the stools soft and improve the bowel movement, which ultimately encourages the body to expel waste products. At the same time, fiber-rich foods will also help get rid of any kind of intestinal problem.
You can add a lot of fiber into your diet by eating fresh fruits like raspberries, pears and apples, as well as fresh vegetables like artichokes, peas and broccoli. Cereals, whole grains, nuts, beans and seeds also contain a good amount of fiber.
Eating fresh yogurt on a regular basis is a good way to keep the colon healthy. Being a probiotic food, yogurt, especially the one with live and active cultures, will introduce “good” bacteria into the gut that promote digestion. It will also combat inflammatory bowel diseases.
Plus, it contains a good amount of calcium that discourages the growth of cells lining the colon. The intestine-friendly yogurt also solves various stomach problems such as indigestion, flatulence, irregular bowel movements and lots more.
You can eat yogurt as it is or add some fresh fruit such as apples, limes, bananas and berries.
Flaxseed is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants and natural fibers, thus adding flaxseed to your diet is a great way to cleanse your colon. Flaxseed will absorb water and expand in the colon, and will assist in removing toxins and mucus as the waste matter passes through. In addition, flaxseed will help prevent cancer, heart disease and diabetes.
You can add ground flaxseeds to cereal, yogurt, fruit and other healthy foods. For faster results, add one tablespoon of ground flaxseed to a glass of water and drink it 30 minutes before eating your breakfast and before going to bed.
8. Sea Salt
Another effective ingredient for colon cleansing is sea salt, thanks to its detoxifying properties.
- Mix one tablespoon of sea salt in a glass of drinking water and boil it.
- Drink this solution warm or cold, first thing in the morning.
- Wait for a few minutes, and then lie down and massage your stomach down to your colon area in a gentle manner. This will stimulate your bowel movement and help remove harmful toxins, accumulated fecal matter, regular feces, parasites and bacteria from the digestive tract.
- Do this up to five times a month.
As this solution can cause diarrhea, it is essential to drink plenty of water and frsh juices throughout the day. Avoid taking this remedy if your suffer from high blood pressure or have a heart condition.
9. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is known for its detoxification abilities and acts as a laxative, hence it is regarded as an effective colon cleanser. The medicinal properties present in aloe vera gel will not only improve your colon health, but it will also treat other health problems like headaches, skin infections, diarrhea, gastric pain and constipation.
- Add the juice of one lemon to fresh aloe vera gel and put the mixture in a blender to make a few ounces of smooth juice.
- Keep this juice in the refrigerator for two to three hours.
- Drink it several times a day for a few days.
Ginger is a readily available ingredient that can help reduce bloating and stimulate colon functioning and keep it free from waste and harmful toxins. It aids digestion by stimulating the secretion of digestive juices.
- You can take ginger in any form such as grated, juice or cut pieces for colon cleansing.
- One good option is to mix one teaspoon of ginger juice juice and one-quarter cup of lemon juice to twp cups of hot water. You can also a little honey for taste. Divide the solution into two or three parts and drink throughout the day.
- You can also add ginger to herbal tea.
Note: Ginger is not recommended for women who are pregnant.
To conclude, these effective colon cleansing home remedies will help you enjoy a healthy digestive system. Keeping your colon healthy is an important part of maintaining overall good health.