An armpit lump appears when a lymph node under the arm has swollen or enlarged, particularly when you are ill with some kind of infection. The swelling can be as small as the size of a pea or more than a few centimeters.
There are many causes behind an armpit lump, including bacterial or viral infections, shaving, use of antiperspirants, harmless fat tissue growths, and allergic reactions.
Symptoms of an armpit lump may differ depending on the cause. However, some common symptoms are a swollen arm, pain, body aches, swelling of other lymph nodes, rashes, loss of appetite, and flu-like symptoms.
Armpit lumps can occur in men and women of all ages. In most cases, they do not require treatment and start to disappear as your body fights the underlying cause.
However, if a woman notices an armpit lump, she should consult a doctor as it may indicate breast cancer. Also, opt for a medical checkup if an underarm lump has been present for more than two weeks and shows signs of redness, tenderness and irregularity in shape.
At the same time, you can use some home remedies to help speed up recovery and prevent the lump from reappearing.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for armpit lumps.
1. Warm Water Compresses
An age-old home remedy to treat an armpit lump is warm compresses. The hot temperature helps increase blood circulation, reduce the size of the lump and ease pain.
- Soak a thin towel in hot water.
- Wring out the excess water.
- Place the towel under your armpit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat 3 or 4 times daily for a week.
2. Vitamin E
Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that can help treat an armpit lump within a few days. In addition, it reduces swelling and prevents fluid buildup in the lymph nodes. It also helps retain moisture and facilitate skin repair.
- Massage the lump with vitamin E oil for a few minutes, 2 or 3 times daily for a week.
- Also, take vitamin E supplements after consulting a doctor or eat a diet rich in foods with vitamin E. Some foods rich in vitamin E are almonds, sunflower seeds, spinach, avocado, extra-virgin olive oil, Swiss chard, asparagus, turnip greens, beet greens and others.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an effective home remedy for armpit lumps. It helps dry out the lump and reduces symptoms like pain and swelling. In addition, its antiseptic and antibiotic properties fight infection and promote healing.
- Mix together equal amounts of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and water. Soak a cotton cloth in the solution and apply it on the affected area. Leave it on for 5 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water and pat dry. Repeat the process a few times daily until the lump disappears.
- You can also add 1 teaspoon each of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and honey to a glass of water and drink it once or twice a day for a few weeks.
Echinacea is another effective home remedy for armpit lumps. This herb helps heal and strengthen the lymph system, which helps the lump disappear. Likewise, this herb is a strong antibiotic that helps eliminate infection by purifying the blood.
- Apply echinacea cream or ointment topically to the lump, 2 or 3 times a day. Continue until you get rid of the lump.
- To fight infection that leads to armpit lumps, drink 1 to 2 cups of echinacea tea daily for a week.
Note: People suffering from autoimmune disorders must not use this herb.
Honey is another natural remedy that helps alleviate an armpit lump. It helps clear up the lump and ease pain, swelling and irritation. In addition, honey is one of the best natural antibiotics and helps fight infection on multiple levels.
- Apply some raw honey on the affected area, wait 10 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water. Do this 2 or 3 times a day.
- Also, you can mix 1 teaspoon of honey in a cup of warm water or green tea and drink it a couple of times daily for a few weeks.
Follow these remedies daily for about a week.
6. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is rich in vitamin C and numerous anti-inflammatory substances that help bring down the swelling and pain of an armpit lump. In addition, it is a natural astringent.
- Dip a cotton ball in fresh lemon juice and apply it on the lump. Leave it on for 20 minutes, then wash it off with lukewarm water. Repeat the process 2 or 3 times daily for a week.
- Also, you can add the juice of a lemon and some honey to a glass of water and drink it twice daily for a few weeks to accelerate healing.
Turmeric contains antibiotic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help treat armpit lumps. It can bring down swelling, reduce pain and facilitate healing.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder with enough honey to make a paste. Apply it on the affected area, wait 10 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water. Do this 2 or 3 times daily for a week.
- Also, drink a glass of warm turmeric milk daily for a couple of weeks.
You can also use this strong antibiotic food to treat armpit lumps. It helps cleanse the system, ease symptoms and accelerate healing.
- Make a paste of a few garlic cloves and apply it on the affected area. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes, then wash it off with warm water. Do this once or twice daily for a week.
- You can also eat 2 to 3 raw garlic cloves on an empty stomach daily. Include garlic in your cooking as well.
9. Aloe Vera
The moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties of aloe vera can stimulate healing of that painful lump in your armpit. It also helps reduce pain and swelling.
- Extract the fresh gel from an aloe vera leaf.
- Apply it to the affected area, rubbing gently in a circular motion.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes, then wash it off with cold water.
- Use this remedy 2 or 3 times daily for about a week.
10. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is another good remedy for armpit lumps due to its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral properties. Being a good moisturizer, it also promotes healing.
- Warm up some coconut oil and apply it on your armpit. Using gentle strokes, massage the affected area for 5 minutes. Gentle massage enhances blood circulation and helps bring down the swelling. Repeat a few times daily for a week.
- You can also eat 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin coconut oil daily.
- Avoid caffeine as it can delay the healing process.
- Avoid spicy foods that make you sweat more, which can result in more bacterial development.
- To aid the healing process, keep your armpit clean and dry. Wash it regularly with antibacterial soap and keep the area dry, as much as possible.
- Do not share your towels or toiletries with others.
- Avoid scratching the lump, which can hamper healing and cause the infection to spread.
- Avoid shaving your underarms when you have a lump, which can further aggravate the condition.
- Avoid using any talcum powder or antiperspirants with high fragrance until the lump subsides.