Note: Do consult your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment of this condition. Use home remedies just as an adjunct treatment.
Appendicitis is an inflammation of the appendix, which can be acute or chronic. The appendix is a small protrusion of the colon, located in the lower right quadrant of the abdomen.
Appendicitis mostly affects people between the ages of 10 and 30. Moreover, it is more common in men than women. Every year, in the United States, more than 250,000 people opt for surgery to remove their appendix due to appendicitis.
Inflammation of the appendix occurs due to a partial or complete obstruction in the appendix resulting from an accumulation of fecal matter. Other causes are an enlarged lymphoid follicles, intestinal worms, trauma and tumors.
Some common symptoms of appendicitis are pain in the lower right side of the abdomen, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, inability to pass gas, abdominal swelling and low-grade fever.
Untreated appendicitis can rupture and become fatal. Hence, proper diagnosis and timely treatment prescribed by your doctor is important. The standard treatment is surgically removing the appendix.
In addition, you can use some home remedies to help ease some of the symptoms of appendicitis but do not solely rely on these remedies.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for appendicitis.
1. Castor Oil
Castor oil is an effective home remedy for appendicitis. A castor oil pack can help relieve the blockage and reduce inflammation, and castor oil taken orally helps treat constipation and improves bowel movements.
- Prepare a castor oil pack by folding a large flannel cloth into layers and pouring 2 tablespoons of castor oil on it.
- Lie down on an old towel and put the flannel cloth on your abdomen.
- Repeat this remedy 3 times a week for 2 to 3 months.
Garlic has anti-inflammatory therapeutic potential that aids in the treatment of appendicitis. It helps reduce the inflammation as well as pain.
- Eat 2 to 3 raw garlic cloves on an empty stomach daily. You can also use garlic in your cooking.
- Another option is to take garlic capsules, but only after consulting a doctor.
Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, ginger also helps treat appendicitis. It can reduce pain and inflammation, while also helping relieve the common symptoms of vomiting and nausea.
- Drink ginger tea 2 or 3 times daily. To prepare ginger tea, simmer 1 teaspoon of grated ginger or ginger slices in a cup of boiling water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Massage your lower abdomen with ginger oil a few times daily.
- You can also take ginger capsules, but only after consulting your doctor.
4. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are effective in the treatment of appendicitis. These seeds prevent the accumulation of intestinal waste and excess mucus, thus reducing the possibility of the problem becoming severe. They also help reduce pain.
- Add 2 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds to 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain and have this decoction when lukewarm once daily.
- Include fenugreek seeds in your cooking to control pain and inflammation.
Lemon is also very beneficial in treating appendicitis. The natural citrus juice in lemon helps relieve pain and prevent indigestion and constipation. In addition, the vitamin C in lemon boosts the immune system to prevent infection.
- Extract fresh juice from 1 lemon.
- Mix it with an equal quantity of raw honey.
- Take this mixture a few times a day.
- Repeat daily for a few weeks.
If the appendicitis patient has a low-grade fever, basil is an effective herb for bringing down their temperature. Moreover, basil is a good remedy for indigestion and intestinal gas.
- To reduce a fever, boil a handful of basil leaves and 1 teaspoon of grated ginger in 1 cup of water until the solution is reduced by half. Strain and add a little honey. Drink this tea 2 times a day for a couple of days.
- To get rid of intestinal gas, mix 5 crushed basil leaves, ¼ teaspoon of sea salt and a little black pepper powder in 2 to 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt. Consume it twice daily.
- You can also have 3 to 4 raw basil leaves daily to help control appendicitis symptoms.