Detoxification refers to the elimination of harmful toxins from the body. We are exposed to various chemical and biochemical toxins present in our food, water, and environment that are laden with heavy metals and chemicals.
Some of the most common signs and symptoms of toxic accumulation in the body are headaches, fatigue or sluggishness, weight fluctuations, hormonal disruptions, acne, rashes, body odor, bad breath, congestion, trouble with digestion, muscle aches, worsening of inflammatory conditions like arthritis, and so on.
The body naturally removes these toxins to avoid health problems, but certain remedies along with diet and lifestyle changes can enhance the natural detoxification process.
Most remedies aimed at detoxification assist in flushing out toxins from the liver and gallbladder.
Moreover, they help boost energy levels, increase immunity, decrease allergies, improve metabolism, combat fatigue, maintain clear skin, stimulate circulation, aid in digestion and facilitate regular bowel movements, improve mental clarity and concentration, and nourish the body with healthy nutrients.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for detoxification.
1. Green Smoothies
This is the most common way to detoxify your body. It helps rid the body of harmful toxins while providing a wealth of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.
Green smoothies include a number of green vegetables containing chlorophyll, which helps in detoxification and getting rid of heavy metals like those found in pesticides and industrial pollutants. Start your day with this green smoothie to provide energy and boost metabolism.
- Put one cup of kale (coarsely chopped), one green apple (coarsely chopped), one ripe banana and one-half cup of fresh parsley leaves in a blender. If you do not have kale then use collard greens.
- Blend the ingredients with about two and one-quarter or two and one-half cups of water.
- Start by drinking one cup of this smoothie daily. Gradually increase the dosage to three to four cups a day for at least three weeks.
2. Raw Juices
Raw fruit and vegetable juices, such as that of apples, carrots, grapefruits, spinach, blueberries, oranges, cucumbers, beets, and lettuce, are highly beneficial for nourishing your body as well as removing harmful toxins.
Juices extracted from green vegetables are particularly beneficial because they contain chlorophyll, which aids in the removal of cancer-related toxins. Being loaded with nutrients, fresh juices also give a boost to your immune system.
You can simply drink a glass of raw fruit or vegetable juice two or three times a day or replace one meal daily with fresh juices. For a juice fast, drink five to six glasses of fresh fruit and vegetable juices daily for a few days.
In addition to juice from a single fruit or vegetable, you can create a juice blend by juicing five carrots, four celery stalks, one beet, one small apple, one small cucumber, and half a lemon. For better absorption of the nutrients, drink the juice slowly rather than quickly gulping it down.
Lemon juice works as a powerful detoxifier and alkalizer. It also stimulates the liver’s bile production and boosts mineral intake as well as absorption.
Its high antioxidant and vitamin C content will also strengthen your immune system. Lemons, especially the peels, contain an antioxidant called d-limonene, which has been found to activate enzymes in the liver that help remove toxic compounds.
- Drink a cup of warm water mixed with the juice squeezed from one lemon. Do this daily, first thing in the morning, until you experience improved health.
- Mix one-half cup of lemon juice, one tablespoon of honey, and one teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a cup of hot water. Drink this daily for a few days or weeks.
4. Epsom Salt Bath
Epsom salt baths increase the magnesium level in the body, which is required for detoxifying cells. It also helps detoxify metals from the body. In addition, it will soothe body aches and pains.
- Mix one to two cups of Epsom salt in a bathtub filled with warm water.
- Soak in it for about 15 minutes.
- Do this up to three times per week.
Note: Epsom salt baths are generally not recommended for those suffering from high blood pressure and heart problems.
5. Green Tea
Being rich in antioxidants, green tea helps detoxify free radicals. It contains epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), a potent antioxidant that may help protect the liver from toxic damage.
A 2011 study by researchers at the Newcastle University found that it may protect against Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. Furthermore, regular consumption of green tea will help aid weight loss, improve metabolism, and control hair loss.
Drink two to three cups of green tea daily. You can also take green tea extracts (100 to 750 mg per day).
6. Oil Pulling
This simple therapy works as a great natural detox for the deep tissues in the body. It also fights issues like toothache, bad breath, and gum disease due to the antimicrobial effects of the oil used.
It is believed that this traditional Ayurvedic technique also provides relief from headaches, constipation, candida infections, congestion, cold sores, joint pains, and various other ailments. It needs to be followed first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach before you even brush your teeth.
- Swish one tablespoon of sesame oil or sunflower oil in your mouth like a mouthwash for 15 to 20 minutes, until the oil becomes thinner and turns milky and foamy.
- Spit it out and then rinse your mouth with water.
- Do this daily at least for 15 days up to a month to see encouraging results.
Warning: Do not gargle or swallow the oil.