A lot of people these days have dark circles under their eyes. Dark circles can develop at an early age, although it is more common among older people. Irrespective of age, men and women alike usually feel they don’t look their best when they have “bags” under their eyes.
It is often a hereditary condition. Also, dark circles tend to worsen with age as the skin thins and loses subcutaneous fat, which in turn exposes the blood vessels lying beneath the skin.
But many other factors can be at fault, such as excessive smoking, inadequate sleep, improper diet, excessive drinking, pollution and allergies.
Hormonal imbalances during menstruation, pregnancy or menopause can also contribute to dark circles.
There are many cosmetic products designed to minimize the appearance of dark circles under the eyes. But, most of these products are expensive and contain chemicals that can be harmful to the delicate skin. So, why not try home remedies? Many natural remedies can effectively treat this problem.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for dark circles.
Cucumbers have cooling as well as astringent properties and hence they are widely used to treat dark circles. They can lighten the color of the skin, increase blood flow and reduce puffiness.
- Cut a cucumber into thick slices and chill them in the refrigerator. Place a cool cucumber slice over each eye for 10 to 15 minutes. Then wash the area with lukewarm water. Do this twice daily for at least a week to notice changes.
- Grate a small cucumber, extract the juice and refrigerate it for a few minutes. Dip a cotton ball in the juice and apply it under the eyes. Allow the skin to absorb the juice for about 15 minutes. Then wash it off with lukewarm water. Do this twice daily for a week.
- Another way to treat dark circles is to mix cucumber juice with lemon juice in equal quantities, then apply it on the skin near the eyes using a cotton ball. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash it off with water. Do this once daily for eight to 10 days.
Potatoes have natural bleaching properties that can help lighten dark circles. They can also help get rid of the puffiness around the eyes.
- Chill two potatoes in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Peel and grate the potatoes to extract the juice.
- Dip a cotton ball in the juice and apply it around your eyes before going bed. Leave it on overnight.
- In the morning, wash it off with warm water.
- Follow this remedy daily for a week or more to remove dark circles.
3. Green Tea Bags
Rich in antioxidants and tannins, green tea bags can help lighten dark circles. The tannins in tea also reduce swelling and puffiness.
- Boil two green tea bags in one-half cup of water for 10 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags and cool them in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Put the cold tea bags over your eyes for about 15 minutes.
- Follow this remedy twice daily for at least 10 days to get positive results.
4. Rose Water
Rose water is a gentle ingredient with fabulous skin-enhancing benefits that can lighten dark circles under the eyes. Being a rich source of antioxidants, rose water can help strengthen skin cells, regenerate skin tissue and rejuvenate the skin around the eyes.
- Dip clean cotton balls in rose water and place them over your eyes.
- Leave them on for about 15 minutes and then wash the area with lukewarm water.
- Do this once in the morning and once in the evening, every day for two weeks.
5. Almond Oil
Almond oil is also very effective in lightening the skin color around the eyes. Being rich in nourishing vitamins and minerals, almond oil can replenish and rejuvenate the delicate skin and keep it moisturized.
- Lightly massage five or six drops of almond oil into the delicate skin under the eyes before going to bed. Leave it on overnight and wash it off with cold water the next morning. Follow this remedy daily until the dark circles disappear almost entirely.
- Alternatively, mix five or six drops of almond oil with one tablespoon of raw honey. Apply it carefully on the skin under the eyes before going to bed. Leave it on overnight and then wash with lukewarm water the next morning. Repeat daily until you get the desired results.
Milk contains lactic acid that helps soften and moisturize the skin under the eyes. Also, milk has protein, enzymes, amino acids and antioxidants that are required to strengthen the skin and heal damaged skin. Milk can be used as a cold compress to treat dark circles and reduce eye puffiness.
- Soak cotton balls in cold milk that has been in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Place the cotton balls under your eyes and hold them there until they become warm.
- Follow this remedy three or four times daily for a few weeks.
Tomatoes are one of the most effective remedies for dark circles. They contain the antioxidant lycopene, which helps lighten the dark circles.
- Blend one medium-size tomato into a paste.
- Add one-half teaspoon of lemon juice, a pinch of turmeric powder and two teaspoons of gram flour to the tomato paste. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Apply the paste on the dark circles.
- Allow it to sit for 15 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Do this two or three times each week until your dark circles go away completely.
The cooling effect of mint leaves can immediately soothe tired eyes, which in turn helps reduce dark circles.
- Grind a handful of fresh mint leaves into a paste. Add the juice from half a lemon to it.
- Apply the mixture on the dark circles.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Gently pat dry the skin with a soft cloth.
- Do this once daily until you get positive results.
9. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil helps moisturize the delicate and thin skin under the eyes, which in turn reduces the appearance of dark circles. It can produce positive results within a few days because coconut oil is easily absorbed by the skin.
- Dab a little coconut oil on the skin near the eyes.
- Massage the area in a circular motion, first clockwise and then counter-clockwise.
- Leave it on overnight and rinse it off with lukewarm water the next morning.
- Follow this simple treatment daily for about a week to start noticing a difference.
10. Fenugreek Seeds
The high amount of vitamin C, potassium and protein present in fenugreek seeds help lighten dark circles under the eyes. Plus, they can help balance the pH level of your skin, which is essential to maintain an even skin tone.
- Soak two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in water for three to four hours.
- Grind the seeds into a smooth paste.
- Mix in one-half teaspoon of turmeric powder, and then add one teaspoon of raw milk.
- Apply the mixture under your eyes.
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water.
- Repeat once daily for a week.
Try these easy home remedies to treat dark circles under eyes. You do not have to spend a fortune and you do not have to worry about side effects.