Blemishes can occur as skin discoloration or dark spots, generally caused by acne breakouts. They can also be attributed to factors like hormonal imbalance, genetics, improper skin care, poor diet, sun exposure and aging.
Pimples, pustules, blackheads and whiteheads can also be categorized as blemishes caused by clogged pores. The unsightly blemishes can appear anywhere on the body but are most common on the face, neck, shoulders and back.
The market is flooded with products to battle blemishes, but they are often expensive and chemical-based. Instead, you can turn to Mother Nature to get rid of blemishes and pamper your skin at the same time.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for blemishes.
1. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice works as an excellent skin-lightening home remedy to reduce dark spots and hyperpigmentation due to its bleaching effect.
Its high citric acid content exfoliates the skin, removes excess oil and kills acne-causing bacteria. It also minimizes the appearance of large pores and smoothes the skin.
- Simply apply fresh lemon juice on your skin and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off. Do this daily for a month or so.
- Alternatively, combine one-quarter teaspoon each of lemon juice and organic honey. Rub it on your skin and wash it off after 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat a few times a week for one month or until you see improvement.
- You can also mix together equal parts of lemon juice and tomato juice. For extra exfoliation, add one tablespoon of oatmeal (optional). Apply the mixture on the affected area. Leave it on for about 15 minutes, and then rinse it off. Do this daily, or three or four times a week for about a month or until you get encouraging results.
2. Tomato Juice
Being rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, tomato juice is excellent for creating glowing and blemish-free skin. Plus, it helps shrink large pores and cure acne due to its astringent properties. Tomatoes are also good for reducing suntan due to their high lycopene content.
- Massage your skin with tomato pulp.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes, and then rinse it off with cool water.
- Follow this simple routine daily for several weeks or until you get the desired results.
To enjoy clear and healthy skin, also include fresh tomatoes in your daily diet.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in alpha hydroxy acids and hence lightens dark spots and blemishes. In addition, it helps balance the skin’s pH levels, reduces excess oils and opens clogged pores.
Due to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, apple cider vinegar also fights acne breakouts.
- Mix one part organic apple cider vinegar and three parts water. If it seems too strong, you can increase the amount of water.
- Dip a cotton ball in this solution and dab it on the affected area.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes, and then wash it off.
- Use two or three times a day until the blemish fades away.
Potato juice contains starch that helps reduce pigmentation. It also diminishes dark circles under eyes.
- Peel and grate one small potato. Extract the juice using a fine sieve or cheesecloth.
- Soak a cotton ball in the juice and apply it on your skin.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Do this daily for one month or until you are satisfied with the results.
5. Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s earth, also known as multani mitti, is great for exfoliating your skin to remove dead skin cells and get rid of blemishes. It also absorbs excess oil and has a skin-lightening effect.
- Add sufficient rose water, green tea, cucumber juice, lemon juice or just plain water to two tablespoons of fuller’s earth to make a smooth paste. Apply it on your skin, let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes, and then rinse it off.
- You can also mix one teaspoon each of tomato juice and sandalwood powder in two teaspoons of fuller’s earth to make a smooth paste. Spread it evenly on your skin, and leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
Use either of these remedies once or twice a week until you get the desired results.
6. Aloe Vera
The succulent aloe vera gel contains polysaccharides that stimulate the growth of new skin cells and help heal scars and blemishes.
Also, it has anti-inflammatory properties that benefit in natural acne treatment.
- Extract fresh aloe vera gel from an aloe leaf and apply it on your skin. Leave it on until it dries completely before washing it off. Repeat daily for about a month or more.
- You can also create a mixture of two tablespoons of aloe vera gel and one teaspoon each of lemon juice and sugar. Gently rub it on your skin, let it sit for 15 minutes and then rinse it off. Do this two or three times a week until you get rid of the blemishes.
Strawberries are loaded with nutrients and antioxidants that help maintain clear skin. Being rich in vitamin C, alpha hydroxy acids, salicylic acid and ellagic acid, it exfoliates dead skin, fights acne and fades scars.
- Mash two or three strawberries with a fork.
- Mix them with two teaspoons each of plain yogurt and organic honey.
- Add 1 tablespoon of ground oatmeal.
- Gently rub it on your face and neck and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then wipe it off with a warm washcloth. This will open the clogged pores.
- Do this at least twice a week for several weeks.
8. Orange Peel
Orange peel works as a natural bleach to lighten your skin and clear acne scars and blemishes. It also helps reduce suntan. Moreover, being rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, it tones your skin and leaves a youthful glow.
- Mix two teaspoons of orange peel powder with one teaspoon each of organic honey and plain yogurt.
- Spread this paste on your skin.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Do this two or three times a week until you get positive results.
You can either purchase orange peel powder from a health food store, or make it yourself by drying orange peels in the sun for a few days and then grinding them to a fine powder.
Cucumber is soothing for your skin and being an astringent also opens your pores and helps clear scars and blemishes. It improves skin texture and reduces inflammation due to its vitamin C and antioxidant content.
- Blend one-half cup of peeled and chopped cucumber in a blender or food processor along with three tablespoons of lemon juice. Apply this paste on your skin and leave it on for 20 minutes or more before rinsing it off with cool water. Repeat daily until your blemishes fade away.
- Alternatively, you can simply apply fresh juice extracted from a cucumber on your skin using a cotton ball. Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes, and then wash it off with cool water. Do this daily for at least one month.
10. Banana Peel
Bananas and banana peels have anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce the redness and inflammation of pimples. Plus, they are loaded with potassium and antioxidants that are great for the skin.
- Rub the inside of a peel of a ripe banana on the affected area for five to 10 minutes.
- Leave it on as long as possible; you need not wash it off with water.
- Repeat three times a day until you get rid of your blemishes.
To help prevent blemishes, take proper care of your skin, eat a skin-healthy diet, drink plenty of water and protect your skin against sun damage. Also, if you have blemishes caused by acne and pimples, make sure you wash your face twice daily with a gentle soap or face wash and do not pick at or squeeze your pimples.