To remain healthy, it is essential to have body weight that is proportionate to your height. Your ideal body weight depends on your height, age and gender.
Too little or too much weight has negative impacts on your health. While most people struggle with obesity, many people are underweight, too. To determine your ideal weight, you can use this BMI calculator.
Being underweight can be due to excessive physical activity, skipping meals, too much fasting, emotional stress, genetic factors, lack of sleep, a weak digestive system, and some diseases like cancer, tuberculosis, diabetes, hormonal imbalances, hyperthyroidism or anorexia.
It’s important to take steps to increase your body weight. Being underweight can lead to bone loss, heart problems, infertility, anemia, a weak immune system and frequent illness.
Proper diet and exercise can help you gain weight. There are also certain medicines that can aid the effort.
Instead of taking medicines and supplements, you can opt for some simple home remedies to help you gain weight and move the scale toward your optimum level.
Here are the top 10 home remedies to aid weight gain.
Figs are mainly made of polyunsaturated fats, which add healthy calories to your diet. Also, figs contain a good amount of carbohydrates that will help you gain weight.
- Soak five to six dried figs in water overnight. The next day, eat them in two parts during the day. Do this daily for about a month.
- Alternatively, soak two dried figs overnight in milk and eat it before breakfast. Follow this routine for two months.
Raisins are rich in essential fatty acids that help with weight gain. Plus, raisins provide important nutrients to the body.
- Eat about one-fifth cup of dried raisins throughout the day for about a month. This is one of the easiest ways to gain weight.
- Alternatively, soak one-fifth cup of raisins and five to six dried figs in water overnight. The following day, eat them in two parts. Follow this routine for about a month.
3. Clarified Butter
Clarified butter is an excellent source of saturated fat and calories, hence it can increase your body weight. Plus, clarified butter helps your body absorb more vitamins and minerals that help lubricate stiff joints and give your skin a healthy glow.
- Mix one tablespoon of clarified butter with one tablespoon of sugar.
- Eat this mixture twice daily, at least 30 minutes before eating your lunch and dinner.
- Follow this routine for a month.
Mangoes are a delicious, juicy fruit that are rich in minerals and vitamins, and free of sodium, cholesterol and fat. The body stores the fructose from the mango as energy and fat, thus helping you put on weight. But eating mangoes alone will not aid weight gain. You need to eat them along with milk.
- Simply drink a mango milkshake twice daily for a month.
- Alternatively, eat one ripe mango followed by a glass of milk. Do this two or three times a day for a month.
Potatoes are a rich source of carbohydrates and complex sugars. So, including more potatoes in your diet will ensure weight gain.
- Eat one serving of grilled or baked potato daily for one or two months.
- You can also prepare potato chips at home in a healthy oil like olive oil and have them just twice a week for one or two months.
Eggs contain a good amount of calories, fat and protein and are a popular food among people who wish to increase their weight. The protein in eggs give the body building blocks for muscles, while the fat provides energy. For best results, eat more of the egg white than the egg yolk.
Simply eat the white part of about three or four eggs daily. You can eat egg-white omelets or scrambled egg whites for breakfast daily for at least one month.
Note: Do not eat raw eggs, which can cause serious health problems.
Bananas have a good amount of calories that will give you an instant energy lift and help you gain weight.
- Eat one to two ripe bananas for breakfast.
- Then drink a glass of warm milk, mixed with a little sugar and one teaspoon of clarified butter.
- Follow this breakfast routine for a month.
Almonds are rich in polyunsaturated fats, which add healthy calories to your diet.
- Add three almonds, two dates and one dried fig to a glass of milk and boil it.
- Allow it to cool and then strain the milk.
- Drink the warm milk and eat the boiled almonds, figs and dates.
- Do this daily for one or two months.
9. Peanut Butter
Peanut butter is an excellent choice for gaining weight because it is high in calories and carbohydrates. You can add peanut butter to many foods to add more calories to your diet.
- You can spread a spoonful of peanut butter on fruits or vegetables.
- You can add it to your milkshake or smoothie.
- You can spread peanut butter on a slice of whole wheat bread.
Beans are one of the best calorie-dense foods to help with weight gain. Plus, beans are high in protein, carbohydrates and fiber. Beans can be eaten any time of the day – breakfast, lunch, dinner and even as a snack.
For weight gain, you can eat a variety of beans like black beans, red beans, lima beans, soy beans, lentils, and kidney beans. Prepare bean soup or bean salad and have them fresh daily for one or two months.
Try some of these home remedies until you reach your desired weight. Plus, you need to follow a proper exercise routine. You can consult a trainer to find out what type of exercise promotes increased body weight.