Beat the summer heat with this hydrating watermelon smoothie. It is a wonderful way to relish the cooling and refreshing taste of watermelon and combine it with other ingredients to improve your overall health.
Packed with the goodness of watermelon, cucumber, coconut water, mint and lemon juice, this smoothie will also help flush toxins out of your body and aid weight loss.
Watermelon is an excellent thirst-quenching fruit with almost 92 percent water content. This delicious and nutritious fruit is loaded with vitamins A and C, dietary fiber, beta-carotene and essential rehydrating salts that keep the body hydrated.
In fact, water-rich fruits like watermelon and cucumber can hydrate you more effectively than just a glass of water.
Plus, watermelon is a good source of antioxidants and phytonutrients like flavonoids and carotenoids. It is also rich in lycopene, a phytochemical that inhibits inflammatory processes, neutralizes free radicals and protects against ultraviolet (UV) light.
Moreover, watermelon contains the amino acid citrulline that helps reduce the rate at which the body stores fat. This fruit has also been found to boost cardiovascular health and lower high blood pressure.
Cucumber, another water-rich ingredient in this smoothie, is highly beneficial during the summer season. It is 95 percent water and is loaded with vitamins A, C, B6 and K. Plus, the mint and lemon juice in this recipe make this smoothie more refreshing and delightful.
To enhance its hydrating and energizing benefits, prepare this watermelon smoothie with coconut water, which is very hydrating. Moreover, coconut water is low in carbohydrates and high in nutrients.
How to Make a Refreshing and Hydrating Watermelon Smoothie
Things you will need:
- A watermelon
- A cucumber
- Fresh mint leaves
- Coconut water
- Lemon juice
- Ice cubes
- A knife
- A blender
- Measuring cups and spoons
1. Put 2 cups of watermelon chunks into a blender.
2. Add ½ cup of coconut water.
3. Peel and cut ½ cucumber into pieces and add them to the blender.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of fresh mint leaves.
5. Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
6. Blend all the ingredients for about 1 minute.
7. Add some ice cubes and blend again.
8. Pour your smoothie into a glass.
You can enjoy this refreshing, hydrating watermelon smoothie several times a week. Low in calories and high in nutrition, this pretty pink package is delicious and energizing. Plus, it will help lift your mood and reduce stress.
- When cutting the watermelon into pieces, you do not need to remove the seeds. Watermelon seeds are edible and are composed of 30 percent protein.
- If possible, use fresh rather than packaged coconut water.
- Add 1 cup of cantaloupe and a few strawberries to enhance this smoothie’s taste as well as health benefits.
- If you wish to boost its protein content, add 1 tablespoon of chia seeds, flaxseeds, hemp seeds or protein powder.
- You can refrigerate this smoothie for up to 1 day, but it is better to drink it right away.