Pain disrupts our daily life and messes with our routine. Sore muscles and achy joints can be hard to bear, especially if it’s a chronic problem.
Such ailments are often caused by excessive activity, staying in one position for too long, exhaustive working hours, heavy lifting, improper posture or simply aging. Pain can also be a symptom of many underlying conditions, such as arthritis or fibromyalgia.
Pain medications can only last so long, and they are also pretty expensive. In addition, they may have side effects that can further wreak havoc in your daily life. These side effects may include nausea, a rash, stomach upset, heartburn and fatigue. When taken in high doses, some medications can also cause liver damage and increase the risk of heart attack.
This DIY pain balm is an economical option that will help alleviate pain in your joints and muscles as well as reduce inflammation. The various ingredients used in this recipe lend different properties to the balm.
Here are the benefits of a few of the ingredients:
- Camphor has anti-inflammatory properties that help relieve pain and inflammation.
- Peppermint oil has cooling properties, which relieves sore muscles and has a calming effect on the body.
- Arnica oil helps reduce inflammation, and its analgesic properties help numb the pain. It is used to treat pains, bruises, sprains and other ailments.
- Clove oil also has analgesic qualities for pain relief. It also relaxes sore muscles.
How to Make Homemade Pain Balm
Things you’ll need:
- Extra-virgin coconut oil – ¼ cup
- Grated beeswax – 2 tablespoons (or 1 ounce)
- Camphor – 1 tablespoon or 10 to 12 balls
- Peppermint essential oil – 9 drops
- Arnica essential oil – 7 drops
- Clove essential oil – 5 drops
- Sterile storage container