Though turmeric is notorious for leaving a yellow stain on almost anything and everything, it can be a great tool to naturally brighten and whiten yellow teeth. Although the exact reason as to why it works is not known, many swear by it. Try it to believe it!
Turmeric is also good for sensitive teeth and dental problems like toothaches and gingivitis, thanks to its anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antibiotic properties. The medicinal properties mainly come from a component in turmeric called curcumin.
Along with turmeric, this homemade natural teeth whitener includes baking soda and coconut oil. Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate (do not confuse with baking powder), works as a mild abrasive to remove stains from your teeth.
Plus, it facilitates plaque removal by neutralizing acids produced by the bacteria. Plaque buildup can contribute to tooth decay and gum disease.
Coconut oil is another excellent ingredient for oral health. It is often used in oil pulling because it draws out bacteria and treats issues like toothaches, bad breath, tooth sensitivity and gum disease. It also helps whiten and brighten your teeth.
How to make a homemade natural teeth whitener
Things you will need:
- Turmeric powder
- Baking soda
- Coconut oil
- A bowl
- A mixing spoon
- Measuring spoons
- A jar or container for storing the recipe
1. Measure 4 tablespoons of dried, organic turmeric root powder into a bowl.
2. Add 2 teaspoons of baking soda.
3. Add 2½ to 3 tablespoons of organic, virgin coconut oil.
4. Mix it thoroughly with a spoon or fork.
Your homemade natural teeth whitener is ready now.
How to use
- Spread 2 teaspoons of your turmeric teeth whitener on your toothbrush.
- Gently brush your teeth for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Swish 1 teaspoon of melted coconut oil in your mouth for another minute, then spit it out.
- Rinse your mouth with water.
- Do this several times a week for a couple of weeks, then reduce the frequency to once or twice a week.
This mixture may stain the skin around the mouth, so be careful when brushing your teeth with it. To remove any yellow turmeric stains from your skin, apply milk for about 5 minutes and then wash it off.
- Store the remaining mixture in the refrigerator for a few days.
- If you want to make a smaller amount, reduce the quantity of ingredients proportionately.
- As using this mixture is likely to stain your toothbrush bright orange, keep a separate soft- to medium-bristled toothbrush to use with this natural teeth whitener.
- In addition to using this whitening paste, make sure to maintain adequate oral hygiene. You can also try oil pulling with coconut oil for oral health.