You may feel it in your knees, hips, hands or other joints throughout your body. Pain, for no apparent reason. Often it is a sign of arthritis, a very common problem that can take many forms. Simply stated, arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints.
In addition to pain, some common symptoms are swelling and redness around the joint, limited movement in the affected body parts, and stiffness. There are more than 100 different types of arthritis. Arthritis can vary from mild to severe cases.
A doctor can prescribe medication or you can take over-the-counter pain relievers. But many people experience improvement simply by staying physically active along with one or more simple natural treatments.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for arthritis.
(Out of the 10, we have covered 3 highly effective home remedies in this video as well.)
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus. Thus, it is useful in relieving joint pain. Moreover, it helps remove the buildup of toxins in the joints and connective tissues.
- Take a cup of warm water.
- Mix one teaspoon each of apple cider vinegar and honey in it.
- Drink this solution daily in the morning as it gives an alkalizing effect.
Another common ingredient that can help treat arthritis is ginger, which has natural anti-inflammatory properties.
- Dry grind a mixture of 6 teaspoons of dried ginger, 6 teaspoons of caraway seed powder and 3 teaspoons of black pepper powder. Take half a teaspoon of this mixture along with water, thrice daily.
- Ginger oil, when applied on the affected area on a regular basis, can reduce pain, inflammation and stiffness.
- Eating raw ginger on a regular basis can help to alleviate pain by improving blood circulation. Simply peel and slice fresh ginger and eat it along with each meal.
Massaging with mustard oil is considered excellent for getting rid of arthritis pain and inflammation. The oil works as a natural ointment and stimulates blood flow.
- Heat some mustard oil until it is slightly warm. If there is swelling, you can mix an equal amount of onion juice, too. Rub it gently over the painful joint. Then cover the joint with plastic wrap and apply warm towels. Repeat this remedy daily before going to bed for best results.
- You can also use a small amount of eucalyptus oil (helps with inflammation). Or, mix wintergreen oil and eucalyptus oil together and rub it on the joint. For this remedy, you do not need to apply hot compresses.
Regular consumption of turmeric can reduce inflammation. It contains curcumin that possesses anti-inflammatory properties. It is particularly good when dealing with rheumatoid arthritis.
- You can take 500 mg to 1,000 mg turmeric capsules three times per day.
- You can also drink fresh turmeric juice, or a glass of warm milk mixed with one teaspoon of turmeric powder daily before going to bed.
5. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is a good source of magnesium that helps regulate the pH levels in the body. It is essential to balance the pH levels because certain inflammatory diseases such as arthritis are caused by high acidity levels in the body.
- Mix Epsom salt and fresh lemon juice in equal amounts to half a cup of warm water. Swallow one teaspoon of the mixture twice daily, one in the morning and one at night.
- You can also add two cups of Epsom salt to warm bath water and soak in it.
Cinnamon can be used to relieve arthritis pain due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties .
- Mix one-half teaspoon of cinnamon powder and one tablespoon of honey in a cup of warm water and drink it every morning on an empty stomach. Do this daily for several days.
- You can also make a paste of cinnamon and honey and massage it gently on the painful area.
7. Fish Oil
The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil have an anti-inflammatory effect in the body and can help reduce pain.
- Simply consume one to two teaspoons of fish oil daily.
- Taking fish oil supplements in the morning on an empty stomach reduces morning stiffness.
Along with supplements, you should also eat cold-water fish and other natural products like flax seeds that are high in omega-3 fatty acids.
Alfalfa is another herb that can be used by those suffering from arthritis because it is rich in minerals and helps regulate pH levels.
- You can make a healthy cup of tea using alfalfa seeds. Simply add half or one teaspoon of the seeds to a cup of boiling water. Let it simmer for 20 to 30 minutes with a lid on and then strain it. Drink this twice daily for two to three weeks to reduce inflammation.
- You can also opt for alfalfa capsules, which are readily available in the market and can be taken daily.
Cherries are a very good source of magnesium and potassium, both of which help arthritis sufferers. Magnesium is a natural painkiller, and potassium helps reduce inflammation.
- Eat eight to 10 cherries daily. You can use canned, frozen or fresh cherries depending upon which is easily available.
- You can also drink cherry syrup. Boil some cherries in water for a few minutes until it creates a strong, sweet syrup. Drink this daily for a few months.
The anti-inflammatory properties in borage seed oil can help relieve various symptoms of arthritis.
- Regularly massage borage seed oil onto the affected area to help heal tender and swollen joints.
- You can also drink one teaspoon of borage seed oil daily for pain relief. Borage seed oil is safe and will not cause any harm, but do not ingest borage seeds or other parts of the plant.
People suffering from any kind of arthritis will likely get relief from one or more of these remedies. It is essential for arthritis patients also to maintain physical activities to enjoy better health.
Worthy site. Will definitely come back.
Didn’t know bout cherries nor borage seed oil. Ill try them Android respond later. Thanx for info always.
seems to be a very informative site. I have arthritis is my neck, I can not take the constant pain. It is only Sept and fall/winter isn’t even here yet. I have heard of cherries but none of the others, I will be trying some of these remedies. I will respond at a later date and let you know the outcome. thank you
my mother suffer from arthritis and i can’t wait any longer seeing her in pain thats why i research for some home remedies thank you so much for direct cure if information…
hi, my mom is also suffering from arthritis and i can’t see her in this condition. Please let me know if any of the natural herbs/remedies worked in your mother’s case.
Many thanks in advance.
A few years ago I development arthritis on my fingers. I noticed my knuckles with swelling up at times. I soon started looking into natural remedies.
I found that mixing extra virgin olive oil with tea tree oil than rubbing/massaging onto my fingers really helped relieve the pain and swelling. I did some research and found out that “Extra Virgin Olive” is equivalent of the anti-inflammatory effect of a single dose of ibuprofen.
i thought pomace olive oil is best for massaging ,,,,my mother is using it and it realy helps her
my mother suffer from arthritis and i can’t wait any longer seeing her in pain thats why i need a quick home remedy thank you so much for direct cure if information…
Thank you for this very wonderful site of yours!it’s very informative. Can’t wait to try it to my mother.
Your site is wonderful and very informative .
Please add me to your mailing list .
I have just been diagonised with osterpenia .
Ant remedy you can suggest please .
I will really appreciate .
I am 60.
Anybody know of a arthritis remedy consisting of knox gelatin and tart cherry juice? if so please let me know.
For the Epson salt remedy does any body know how much to add of slat and of lemon juice to the half cup of warm water? Thanks
It will have u on the toilet. Epsom salts is a laxative. Lol.
It is magnesium….a side effect is laxative..
Informative site surely helping in my many health issues thanx
Thanks very much, it so useful for me,I got arthritis at my knee and I will absolutely try this remedies. Thanks again.
I m suffering from rhumethiod arthrities & Ankle losing spodilities , my all joint of the body are affected – fingers, knee, hands ,hip joints are also bend now . I m bed ridden since last 5 yrs & can’t do any work by own. So as per the doctor i need proper medication & physiotherapy treatment….. can u plz suggest me the proper treatment which would make me alright once again….. Thank u
Start drinking apple cider vinegar and honey as soon as possible.
Drink more water. Avoid alcohol , lemons, grape fruits and tomatoes. Tomatoes are very very high in uric acid. Uric acid is the main cause of arthritis.
I started having pain in my lower back in March 1993. I had X-rays taken at two different hospitals. I was told by both doctors that they can’t see anything wrong. But my back kept getting bad to worse. I took number of treatments, I didn’t get much better. And my legs started getting colder. One of my doctor told me to change my diet, and told me to drink apple cider vinegar and honey. Within 10 days my back was much much better. By drinking apple cider vinegar and honey I managed to keep myself away from big damage to my back and other joints. That was 21 years ago. I recommend it to anyone very very highly. Please star taking it as soon as possible. I told about 60 people to drink it since then. Most of them got better and thanked me as well.
I am definitely going to be trying your advice! I have suffered bad lower back pain since the age of 20,am now 48. I always put my back down to my height of 6ft. Had three boys,many jobs nd just deteriorated over yrs. Now severe arthritis and mild scoliosis,live on painkillers but still alot of pain!
Shiralee, I want to share something with you that might be of your interest. This has help me with lower back pains. JR
thanks for the ideas i have arthiritis on my knee . .i do take ginger and garlic what else can help improve my condition
Can you pls. Tell me how much apple cider to a glass of warm water do i need to mix
Could u take the apple cider pills instead or is it best to drink the mixture
Really these are effective…
I am very impress iwill try
Very in4mative site:-)
Sorry to hear that u have it in all joints please try the ginger and the saffron the apple cider every morning and u need to stop eating foods in acids stick to veggie and ground provision and fruits and drink lots of water I have it to and I am doing all these things and I am up and about and pray alot hope u feel much better.
i will try.big help….thanks
Can you please include me in all home remedy.
U can join there page on facebook
Great site very informative
I am impressed. Very informative not only to me but to all.
For ginger, how much is a slice that you eat with a meal? Size or etc.
Thanks for this site. I needed help with arthritis, going to try everything
Tired of all the joint pain.
Excellent source of simple and natural treatment thank you for your post,you did help save others from heavy burdens regarding health related problems..and please keep on posting. More people needs you …Thank you very much to all of you .God bless your concern
and efforts Madame and Sir..
I was diagnose with seronegative arthritis.My fingers are very bad,I find it hard to do normal everyday chores.I am definitely going to take your advise.I will reply later to let you know the out come.Many thanks.
Saras, I would like to share something with you that might help with the health issue. JR
Vry good site
Direct me to where to buy apple cider vinegar in Nigeria.
Thank u so much for ideas,God bless you
For me I also found that in combined with the above, that herbs are also a great and natural way of treating arthritis & joint pain. A friends suggested this tea from this site that has specifically made up herbs for this. After a few months I really have felt a great improvement..
Thank you I will try it
Thank you for all the ideas. I will be trying some for my knees and the cough ideas are great for an older person. Love natural things over drugs.
This page is very informative. I am delighted to have the comments of viewers. Off let I have consulted many doctors for my wife Rokhsana as she was not comfortable with the medicine in large quantity and every month blood test. Finally found this page and now after 2 weeks she is very comfortable. Can you please help me in all the home remedies. I am really impressed with the comments.
hi im jhb sa I use 1ginger cap 1omega3/6 cap and it really helps me but when I eat the wrong foods I suffer apple cider also helps have nice day
Thanks for all this infornation me too suffering from knee arthritis. But most probably need surgery
I have heard mixed reviews with apple cider vinegar. In a write up I read that apple cider vinegar causes arthritis… But the comments above on this site say otherwise. I am confused. I have apple cider Vinegar with honey in warm water every morning. I also add half a lemon juice to that. I do it to cleanse my system.
This is a good site. I really enjoyed reading about arthritis and it consequences. The amazing thing is the information on Home Remedies that is shared by many. Thank you and God bless.
I was in excruitating pain in my arm. A friend advised me to mix honey with dry ginger powder until it becomes a paste. Apply directly onto area and cover area with a bandage leave for a few hours then wash off. I am telling the truth the pain went instantly.
Very informative site and really useful.
Plese give some remedes
My lower back pain and writ thigh pain suffering last 6 month
Very informative article. I have something to add for massage section. Medicated oil body massage also called Abhayanga in Ayurveda helps to relieve from pain and stiffness. Also Medicated hot pack (Kizhi in Ayurveda) helps to relieve from inflammations of the joints. These ayurveda methods are completely natural and free from side effects. I was actually undergone arthritis treatment from Superbeing Ayurveda and its very effective.
Pls mum is under a serious arthritis knee pain. Pls can any one help and tell me the home remedies she can go with pls…..God bless as you show concern thank.
My mother has acute athritis and her legs and hands already deformed. She can’t walk straight and the pain is too much. we have been in and out of hospitals, taken herbal drugs and until we are out of options. Kindly help!!!!!!!