Castor oil is extracted from seeds of the castor oil plant. It is colorless to very pale yellow in color with an unpleasant odor.
This oil has traditionally been used topically for skin and hair benefits. Today, the cosmetic industry uses castor oil as a main ingredient in many beauty care products.
Most of the beauty benefits can be attributed to its high ricinoleic acid content. Ricinoleic acid, an unsaturated omega-9 fatty acid and a hydroxyl acid, has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
The oil is also high in vitamin E, minerals, proteins and other nutrients that are beneficial to skin and hair.
To reap the beauty benefits of castor oil, always opt for organic castor oil. It should be cold-pressed and pure, virgin castor oil.
Before using castor oil topically, always do a patch to rule out the possibility of any allergic reaction.
Here are the top 10 castor oil beauty benefits for skin and hair.
1. Nourishes Dry Skin
Castor oil works as a great moisturizer for dry skin. As it penetrates deep into the skin, it is effective at treating dry, flaky skin patches.
The high concentration of fatty acid also promotes healthy and glowing skin and helps with skin conditions like dermatitis, which can cause severely rough, dry skin.
Also, this oil promotes the production of elastin and collagen, which help delay the appearance of aging signs and keeps your skin looking youthful.
- Mix equal parts of castor oil and coconut oil and massage it into the dry skin area. Wait 20 to 30 minutes, then take a shower. Repeat daily.
- After removing your makeup and washing your face at night, apply a few drops of castor oil on your face and massage gently for a couple of minutes. The next morning, you will have a hydrated and refreshed look.
2. Reduces Wrinkles
This natural emollient can reduce the appearance of crow’s-feet, wrinkles and fine lines.
As this oil easily penetrates the skin layers, it will not clog the pores. In fact, it can reach deep into the skin to nourish it. It also helps reduce the appearance of blemishes and scars on skin.
Gentle massage your skin with a few drops of castor oil in circular motion daily at night before going to sleep. Continue doing this for at least 4 to 6 months to get the desired results.
3. Promotes Hair Growth
Apart from skin, castor oil is also good for your hair. It helps deep condition and thicken the hair strands to give you a beautiful and shiny head of thicker hair.
The ricinoleic acid in it helps balance the scalp’s pH level. This reduces the risk of dandruff, split ends and hair breakage.
- Massage warm castor oil into the roots, scalp and hair before going to bed. Wash it off in the morning. Do it twice a week.
- For those with oily hair, mix castor oil with coconut oil or sweet almond oil in equal proportions and use as described above.
4. Thickens Eyebrows and Eyelashes
If you want thicker eyebrows and eyelashes, your solution is castor oil. This follicle-stimulating and nourishing oil can help thicken the hair of your brows as well as lashes. It contains protein, vitamins and fatty acids that nourish the hair follicles and promote hair growth.
Plus, it helps fight micro-organisms that hamper hair growth.
- Dip a cotton swab in castor oil and rub it into your eyebrows each night before you go to bed. Repeat until your eyebrows reach the desired thickness.
- For thicker eyelashes, close your eyes and gently apply castor oil on your lashes. Do it daily at night before going to bed. Continue for at least a couple of weeks to get naturally longer and thicker eyelashes.
5. Prevents Stretch Marks
When used during pregnancy, castor oil prevents the formation of stretch marks. Basically, it works as a humectant, helping your skin retain moisture and maintain elasticity.
In addition, the fatty acids in it maximize the ability of the skin to regenerate tissues to improve the skin strength and texture.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of castor oil with 2 tablespoons of sweet almond oil. Apply the mixture daily on stretch mark prone areas, such as the stomach, thighs and breasts, to prevent the ugly marks from developing.
- To fade stretch marks, massage the affected area with pure castor oil for 10 minutes and then cover the area with plastic wrap. Apply heat using a heating pad for 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat once daily.
6. Softens Calluses
This thick oil is an excellent moisturizer that helps soften calluses by treating dry, rough skin. When applied to the affected area, it helps restore the moisture and adds softness.
Also, its anti-inflammatory property helps alleviate the pain and swelling that can make walking difficult.
It is also effective for treating corns as well as dry and cracked heels.
- Soak your feet in warm water for 10 minutes.
- Using a pumice stone, scrub the area to get rid of thick and hardened skin.
- Rinse off your feet and pat them dry.
- Next, soak a cotton ball in castor oil and place it over the callus or corn.
- Secure the cotton ball with a small piece of tape and leave it for several hours.
- Repeat daily until you are satisfied with the result.