Aging is something you can’t escape, but premature aging can be avoided and controlled to a great extent.
Premature aging signs take away the charm and youthfulness of your skin. This is replaced by ugly wrinkles, age spots, sagging skin, grey hair and crow’s-feet, to name a few.
Nobody wants these aging signs to appear any earlier than they must. Proper skin care, a healthy lifestyle, a sound sleep of 6 to 7 hours daily and a good diet can help a lot in keeping your skin youthful.
In addition, there are many essential oils that can help prevent aging signs on your skin. Their soothing smell also helps reduce your stress, an important factor that contributes to premature aging.
Here are the 10 best essential oils to fight wrinkles, age spots and other signs of aging.
1. Lavender Essential Oil
When it comes to essential oils, lavender oil is one of the best oils to include in your beauty regimen. It is suitable for all skin types.
The high antioxidant content in lavender oil protects the skin from harmful free radicals as well as damaging ultraviolet (UV) rays of the sun. In addition, lavender essential oil promotes good sleep, one of the best secrets behind flawless and younger-looking skin.
- Mix 10 drops of lavender essential oil in 1 ounce of extra-virgin olive oil. Increase the quantities proportionately as needed.
- Use it to massage your skin first thing in the morning, just after taking your shower.
- Repeat again right before going to bed.
- Do this daily to enjoy beautiful skin.
2. Pomegranate Seed Oil
Pomegranate seed oil is another excellent anti-aging oil. Its powerful antioxidants fight and repair free-radical damage caused by the sun and environmental factors that age skin. It contains polyphenolic compounds that help prevent UV damage and wrinkle formation.
The oil strengthens the outer layers (epidermis) and repairs deeper layers (dermis) of the skin. It also boosts collagen production to improve skin elasticity. A 2006 study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology notes that pomegranate seed oil promotes regeneration of epidermis, which is essential to fight aging signs.
It also has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and healing properties that support skin health. This oil can be used on both the face and body. It gets absorbed quickly and effectively moisturizes all skin types.
Use high-quality pomegranate seed oil to massage your skin once daily. You can also mix a few drops of rosehip oil in it and then apply.
3. Rosehip Essential Oil
Rosehip essential oil is another ingredient that you must include in your beauty care products to enjoy good and healthy skin.
The antioxidants in it help improve skin elasticity and firmness and also reduce the appearance of aging signs, such as fine lines, deep wrinkles and brown age spots. It is one of the few essential oils that naturally contain retinol (vitamin A), which helps treat these visible signs of aging.
It even encourages the growth and regeneration of new skin cells, which aids in delaying skin aging signs.
In addition, as this oil is especially rich in antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory compounds, it helps manage skin conditions like psoriasis and dermatitis.
- Apply a few drops of rosehip oil on your damp skin.
- Massage for a couple of minutes to help the oil absorb into the skin.
- Then, apply a thin layer of any mild moisturizer.
- Do this daily before going to bed.
4. Neem Essential Oil
This oil has excellent skin infection prevention as well as anti-aging qualities, due to its antioxidant, antibacterial and antifungal properties.
The antioxidants in it protect the skin from environmental toxins that cause premature aging. It even aids in blood purification, which in turn supports healthy and flawless skin.
Neem oil is also high in polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E, which prevent premature aging. A 2001 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition notes that polyunsaturated fatty acids protect the skin from UV irradiation.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of neem essential oil in 1/3 cup of lukewarm olive or coconut oil.
- Before going to bed, massage your skin with this mixture for 5 minutes in circular motions.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Do this daily.
5. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense is a truly unique essential oil that offers many skin as well as health benefits.
Being a natural cytophylactic, it helps protect existing cells and encourage new cell growth. This is an important factor in keeping the skin tight and radiant for years.
It aids in restoring elasticity to the skin, tightening loose sagging skin under the eyes and reducing under-eye wrinkles and crow’s-feet.
- Dilute 6 drops of frankincense essential oil in 1 ounce of any unscented carrier oil.
- Mix thoroughly and apply it directly on your skin.
- Use it to massage any skin area that has become saggy, such as the abdomen, jowls or under the eyes.
- Do this once daily.
6. Rose Essential Oil
When talking about most effective essential oils for skin and , you cannot give rose essential oil a miss! Beneficial in every way, rose essential oil is an excellent hydrating and brightening agent. As a cicatrisant, it is highly effective in reducing any kind of marks and scars on the skin and thus acts as an excellent anti-aging agent.
It has a rich antioxidant content that helps prevent and delay the formation of fine lines and wrinkles. Plus, its anti-inflammatory properties help reduce redness and inflammation.
In addition to using this essential oil topically on your skin, you can also inhale its soothing aroma to help relieve stress.
- Put 3 teaspoons of olive oil or any other carrier oil of your choice in a bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon of rose essential oil to it (the ratio must be 3:1).
- Massage on skin with this mixture in circular motions for 5 minutes.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water the next morning.
- Do this once daily to help maintain younger-looking skin.