Colloidal silver is a liquid compound that consists of miniscule silver particles suspended in liquid. It is created using electrolysis to suspend pure, metallic elemental silver attached to simple protein molecules in distilled water.
Colloidal silver is not a new thing. In fact, it was used as a natural antibiotic all the way until the 1940s, when modern antibiotics were developed.
While researchers debate the efficacy of colloidal silver, people have found this solution’s potent antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties effective and useful for different types of health issues.
In fact, this liquid has been used as a medical treatment aid for decades and continues to be an essential part of holistic medicine today.
Colloidal silver products are sold as homeopathic remedies and dietary supplements. In most cases, it is best to use colloidal silver with a concentration of 7 to 10 PPM.
Here are top 10 uses of colloidal silver that you must know.
Caution: The FDA does not consider colloidal silver to be effective or safe for use. It may buildup in the tissues and vital organs over a period of months or years.
1. Cures Eye Infections
Due to its antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties, colloidal silver is beneficial in treating eye infections like pink eye and sties.
It works against viruses and bacteria that cause eye infections. When applied in the infected eye, it picks up the infectious cells by attracting them electromagnetically and sends them into the bloodstream to be eliminated from the body.
- Put 2 or 3 drops of colloidal silver in your infected eye.
- Blink repeatedly for a few seconds to allow the liquid to get to the eyelash roots as well.
- Use it 3 times daily for up to 2 days.
2. Treats Staph Infections
Colloidal silver is also effective at controlling and treating staph infections, such as community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA). It works as a strong antibiotic due to its germicidal properties, and thus helps fight the infection-causing microbes.
A 2014 study published in the International Forum of Allergy Rhinology highlights the direct bactericidal effect of colloidal silver on Staphylococcus aureus.
- Wash the affected skin thoroughly and pat dry with a clean towel. Apply 1 or 2 drops of colloidal silver to the area. Cover the site with a bandage. Do this twice daily until the infection has cleared.
- Another option is to apply colloidal silver ointment on the infected area 2 or 3 times a day.
3. Maintains Oral Health
For oral health, it is important to prevent the growth of bacteria and yeast in the mouth. This can be easily done with colloidal silver.
It has natural antimicrobial, antibiotic and antifungal properties and is safe for oral use. It can also combat bad breath.
A 2012 study published in the journal Letters in Applied Microbiology reports that silver nanoparticles offer a new potential strategy to combat Candida albicans and Candida glabrata, which cause infections like oral thrush and dental stomatitis that can be resistant to traditional antifungal therapies.
With further study, they could be developed into a mouthwash solution and possibly integrated into dentures to prevent infections from taking hold.
- Dilute colloidal silver with an equal amount of water.
- Swish this solution around in your mouth for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Spit it out, then rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Use this homemade mouthwash once daily.
4. Beat Colds & the Flu
Being a potent antimicrobial agent, colloidal silver helps reduce the length and severity of colds and the flu.
In a 2011 study published in Minerva Pediatrica, researchers assigned 100 children under age 12 suffering from the common cold and nasal congestion into two groups. The first group was treated with a solution of colloidal silver and beta-glucan, while the second group was given saline solution.
The findings showed that while both groups benefited from the different treatments, 90 percent of those in the colloidal silver group recovered completely.
- Take 1 teaspoon of colloidal silver in 1 cup of water 3 times daily at the onset of symptoms.
- To soothe a sore throat, gargle with 1 to 2 tablespoons of colloidal silver for 2 minutes, then spit it out. Repeat 3 or 4 times per day for a few days.
5. Cures Sinusitis
Sinusitis that causes pain or pressure in the face, as well as a blocked nose, can be effectively treated with colloidal silver. It is effective at killing Staph aureus, one of the primary causes of sinusitis.
According to a 2014 study published in the International Forum for Allergy and Rhinology, colloidal silver was found to be effective when used as a nasal spray.
- Add 4 or 5 drops of colloidal silver to a neti pot filled with lukewarm water.
- Tilt your head back and pour a few drops of the solution into your nasal cavity and drain back out to flush out the sinuses.
- Use it twice daily until the symptoms clear.
6. Treats Ear Infections
Ear infections can be caused by different types of bacteria or even fungi. Colloidal silver is effective in treating ear infections, irrespective of the cause, as it has very broad-spectrum antibiotic, antiviral and antifungal properties.
It even works for swimmer’s ear.
- Lay down and put 2 drops of pure colloidal silver in the affected ear using a dropper.
- Stay in that position for 10 minutes
- Tilt your head to the opposite side to let the solution drain out.
- Repeat once or twice a day until the symptoms clear up.