We all know that aging is a natural process, but many people will go to great lengths to maintain a youthful appearance. We age due to genetic and other factors, many of which are beyond our control. But you can easily keep aging signs at bay by following a healthy lifestyle.
The sooner you begin following a healthy lifestyle and caring properly for your skin, the healthier your skin will be. Plus, it will delay signs of aging like fine lines, sagging skin, wrinkles, age spots and crow’s feet.
Aging is inevitable, but this does not mean that you cannot look younger than your age. There are many beauty secrets that can cut years off your appearance, particularly your face.
Here are the top 10 anti-aging beauty secrets.
1. Follow a Good Skin Care Regimen
Irrespective of your age, you need to follow a good skin care regimen for healthy skin. When your skin is healthy, it will not show early signs of aging.
- Cleanse your face daily with a gentle cleanser, both in the morning and at night. This will keep your skin clean, soft and free of pore-clogging debris. When buying a cleanser, avoid those with high alcohol content and other drying agents.
- Apply a good quality moisturizer over your entire face, neck, hands and legs twice daily. This will help prevent dry and aging skin.
- Exfoliate your skin once a week with a gentle facial scrub. This will encourage skin cell renewal, making your skin look younger. It will also help get rid of dead skin cells and keep your skin smooth, healthy, bright and fresh.
2. Choose Skin Care Products Wisely
Many people make the mistake of using the wrong type of skin care products. This can cause tingling, itching, dryness and irritation. It’s easy to rectify or avoid this mistake.
- Determine your skin type by analyzing your T-zone area and then choose suitable products to keep it healthy and young. Also, avoid using too many cosmetic products at the same time.
- When you are past your mid-20s, use products with retinol, peptides and antioxidants. Retinol promotes an increase of collagen and elastic production. Peptides can stimulate collagen production and cell repair to help you get younger-looking skin. Antioxidants will protect your skin from the sun and speed up the natural skin repair system.
If you have any doubts, you can always consult a dermatologist for help find the right products for your skin care needs.
3. Wear Sunscreen Everyday
Sunscreen is the ultimate anti-aging tool recommended by beauty experts. Be it summer, winter, autumn or rainy days, you must not leave your home without applying a good quality sunscreen on any exposed body parts.
Too much exposure to the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays can damage your skin, particularly its elastin, and cause a loss of collagen. This in turn can lead to sun spots, wrinkles, an uneven tone, dryness, rough skin and sunburn.
Apply an SPF 15 (or greater) sunscreen every day, even in the winter. For maximum anti-aging benefits, make sure to apply sunscreen on your ears, neck, legs and hands along with your face.
4. Get Your Beauty Sleep Daily
To stay looking young for years, get 7 to 8 hours of beauty sleep daily without fail. In fact, sleep is considered the most powerful rejuvenating treatment to maintain youthfulness.
When you sleep, adrenaline and corticosteroid levels drop and the body starts to produce growth hormone. During this time, the repair and growth process of cells occurs. If you don’t get enough sleep, this function is impaired and leads to inflammation that causes many signs of aging like wrinkles, dull complexion and fines lines.
A good night’s sleep also has many health benefits like better memory, mood, attention and concentration as well as a reduced risk of heart attack and stroke.
To improve your sleep, maintain a regular bedtime, avoid caffeinated beverages before bedtime, take a warm bath with a few drops of aromatherapy oil in the evening, and sleep on the right mattress and pillows.
5. Exercise Daily
Exercise is good for your body and mind. Regular exercise improves blood flow and keeps your skin healthy and vibrant. It also regulates your hormones and promotes proper sleep.
According to a study published in the journal Circulation, exercise has anti-inflammatory potential and decreases the risk of developing inflammatory diseases like heart disease and obesity.
Exercise also combats the loss of stamina, muscle strength, balance and bone density that increases with age.
Do some sort of physical activity for 20 to 30 minutes daily. Activities that can help slow down the aging process are running, walking, dancing, cycling, gardening and even housework. Aerobic exercise classes and yoga also help a lot.
6. Give Yourself a Break from Stress
Several studies have shown that stress causes physical changes in the body that can accelerate aging. When you are under stress, hormonal changes occur that can cause blood pressure to rise and the heart to beat faster.
Stress can even cause anxiety, depression, insomnia, weight gain, fatigue and many other conditions that will surely make you look older than your age.
First, you must try to control the level of stress in your life. If you are under stress, take steps to manage it with deep breathing, walking outside amid nature, practicing yoga, meditating or indulging in any other activity that can divert your thoughts from the stressful situation and help calm your mind.
If you have difficulty controlling or managing stress, consult a specialist or seek out a support group.