Bananas are probably one of the most common fruits found across the world, and many people enjoy eating a banana for breakfast.
Eating a banana is good for your health, as this fruit is a superfood that has components that can help fight many diseases.
Most of us eat a banana and throw away the peel. But the peel is very beneficial and should be included in your beauty regimen.
Banana peels are full of antioxidants, antifungal, antibacterial and enzymatic properties that can be put to good use. Plus, they are high in vitamins B6, B12, magnesium and potassium.
All these nutrients make the peel a must-have item in your beauty routine.
Here are 10 amazing and interesting beauty uses for banana peels.
1. Whitens Teeth
If you want pearly whites, do not throw away the banana peels.
The peels contain citric acid, which can help reduce the yellow stains on your teeth and make them white like little pearls.
Plus, the peels have plaque-busting and astringent salicylic acid that will not wear down your tooth enamel and even supports healthy teeth.
Use this simple trick whenever you need to whiten your teeth:
- Rub the soft inside of a fresh piece of banana peel on your teeth for a few minutes.
- When you’re done, brush your teeth with toothpaste to remove the residue.
- Do this once a day for a couple of weeks to remove the stains.
2. Dissolves Warts
Banana peels have strong antioxidants as well as various enzymes that can help get rid of warts safely. They even help fight off the virus that caused the wart.
- Cut a piece of banana peel slightly larger than the size of your wart.
- Place the inside of the peel against the affected area.
- Secure it with tape or a bandage.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Remove the peel the next morning.
- Repeat daily for a few weeks or until you get rid of the wart.
You can also use banana peels in the same way to get rid of corns.
3. Cures Acne
Banana peels are excellent for treating pimples and acne.
The peel works as a natural exfoliating agent to remove toxins from the skin pores, which in turn treats and reduces the risk of acne. Its antioxidant power also helps fight germs that cause acne.
Plus, the anti-inflammatory properties in the peel help calm inflamed skin.
- Wash your skin with cool water, then pat dry with a clean towel. Massage the affected skin area with the inside of a banana peel for 5 minutes. Wait 20 minutes for the skin to absorb the nutrients, then rinse off with cool water. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day.
- Alternatively, spread some turmeric powder on the inside of the banana peel. Use it to gently rub the affected skin area for 5 minutes and let the mixture sit on your skin for 15 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water, then pat dry. Repeat twice daily.
4. Reduces Blemishes
Banana peels are good for treating blemishes as well. The vitamins A, B, C and E benefit your skin and help treat blemishes. Plus, the peels are rich in antioxidants that help reduce dark spots and blemishes.
- Gently rub the white fiber of a piece of banana peel on your skin for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Let the remaining fiber sit on your skin for at least 20 minutes.
- Reapply 2 or 3 times a day until the blemishes fade away.
5. Soothes Mosquito Bites
Mosquito and other bug bites cause a lot of itchiness and discomfort. You can treat these symptoms with banana peels, which help draw fluid out of the bite.
Plus, the polysaccharides in the peel seep into skin cells to halt swelling and inflammation within minutes.
- Massage the inside of a banana peel on the affected area for 5 minutes.
- Wait 15 minutes, then rinse off the area with cool water.
- Repeat as needed.
6. Removes Skin Tags
You can also use banana peels to get rid of ugly skin tags. They contain enzymes that help dissolve the skin tags.
- Cut out a piece of a banana peel to cover your skin tag properly.
- Place the white portion of the peel on your skin tag and secure it with a tape.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Remove the tape and banana peel and rinse your skin the next morning.
- Do this daily until your skin tag drops off.