Fuller’s earth is a staple ingredient used in the beauty industry. Manufacturers of herbal products often use this natural ingredient in their skin and hair products.
Also known as multani mitti, fuller’s earth is a type of clay that contains various minerals, including magnesium, quartz, silica, iron, calcium, calcite and dolomite.
Mostly available in powdered form, it comes in different colors, such as white, green, blue, brown or olive.
Nature has provided this magical product to take care of all your hair and skin woes. It has oil-absorbing, cleansing and antiseptic properties that make it very helpful in treating various hair and skin conditions. This wallet-friendly natural ingredient is safe to use and there are no side effects.
Here are the top 10 benefits of fuller’s earth.
1. Absorbs Excess Oil from Skin
Being a natural absorbent, fuller’s earth can be used to remove excess oil from oily skin. It can also unclog skin pores and balance the natural pH level of the skin. It’s commonly used as a homemade face pack.
- Mix together equal amounts of fuller’s earth, rose water, and sandalwood powder.
- Apply this mixture on your face as a face pack.
- Let it dry out naturally, and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat daily for very oily skin, or two or three times a week for moderately oily skin.
2. Removes Scars
Fuller’s earth can reduce the appearance of wound scars, minor burn marks or any other kind of scars to a great extent.
- Mix together ½ tablespoon each of fuller’s earth, vitamin E oil and lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture on the scar.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes, and then wash it off.
- Do this once or twice a week until the scar fades away.
3. Improves Skin Complexion
Fuller’s earth is an excellent cleansing agent that can improve your skin complexion.
- Mix together two tablespoons of fuller’s earth and curd.
- Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes.
- Add one teaspoon of mint powder and blend the mixture well.
- Apply the mixture on your face and neck area.
- Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes, and then wash it off with warm water.
- Use regularly, twice a week, to notice a huge improvement in your skin complexion.
This paste can also be used on arms and legs to enhance their complexion. This remedy is equally helpful for a suntan.
4. Treats Acne
If you struggle with acne and pimples, Fuller’s earth can surely solve your problem. It helps get rid of clogged pores and reduces excess oil secretion, two main causes of acne and pimples.
- Mix two teaspoons of fuller’s earth, one teaspoon of neem leaf paste, and enough rose water to make a thick paste. Optionally, add a pinch of camphor.
- Apply the paste over the affected area.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes, and then wash it off with plain water.
- Pat your skin dry with a soft towel and apply a mild moisturizer.
- Use this remedy once a week to keep your skin acne free.
5. Improves Skin Elasticity
Droopy or sagging skin due to age is a common problem. Fuller’s earth can improve skin elasticity to help tighten and keep your skin smooth.
- Mix one tablespoon each of fuller’s earth, glycerin and honey to make a smooth paste. Mix in one beaten egg white.
- Apply the paste on your face.
- Relax without moving your facial muscles until the paste dries naturally. Then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Use this remedy once a week.
6. Treats Dandruff
For ages, people have used fuller’s earth to treat dandruff. It absorbs oil, grease and dirt that cause dandruff. Plus, it facilitates blood circulation in the scalp, which is essential to keep the scalp clean and free of flakes.
- Make a hair pack with equal amounts of orange peel powder and fuller’s earth. Apply it on your scalp and hair. Leave it on for 20 minutes, and then wash it off with water. Use a mild shampoo to wash your hair. Follow this home treatment once or twice a week to reduce dandruff effectively.
- Another option is to mix four teaspoons of fuller’s earth and two teaspoons each of lemon juice and honey in one-half cup of plain yogurt. You can also add a few drops of water to get a better consistency of the paste. Apply it on your hair and scalp and leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing it off. Finally, shampoo and condition your hair. Do this once or twice a week.