These small nuts make a perfect ingredient for beauty recipes. Almonds and almond oil can improve skin complexion, reduce the intensity of sun damage and make your skin healthy from within.
The high vitamin E content in almonds is key in helping ward off damaging free radicals and even oxidative damage, which can take a toll on your skin.
A 2007 study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology reports that topical application of almond oil can protect the skin from damage by UV irradiation and can also reverse damage that may have already occurred.
Another 2010 study published in Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice sheds light on the emollient properties of almond oil, which helps rejuvenate and soften the skin.
You can use these natural home remedies to boost the health and appearance of your hair, skin and nails. Also, do not forget to snack on a handful of almonds daily for overall health.
- Hair: Massage your scalp with warm almond oil before going to bed. Leave it on overnight and shampoo your hair as usual the next morning. Repeat 2 or 3 times a week. Also, eating a few soaked almonds every day will work from the inside to make your hair healthy.
- Skin: A 5–minute massage with almond oil after taking a bath can do wonders for your skin. You can also make a scrub with a paste prepared from 10 soaked almonds and a little honey. Use this scrub once a week to get rid of dead skin cells and add a healthy glow to your skin.
- Nails: To strengthen weak nails, massage a few drops of almond oil into your nails daily before going to bed.
This water-rich vegetable contains several essential nutrients that support your nails, hair and skin as well.
Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that helps prevent or repair damage to DNA. It also helps protect against sunburn and skin aging caused by sunlight exposure.
A 2001 study published in the Journal of Nutrition reports that dietary tomato paste protects against UV light-induced erythema.
Tomatoes also help strengthen hair and promote hair growth by helping balance the pH level of your scalp. They even help treat dandruff. The biotin in tomatoes also aids nail growth as well as makes them thick and shiny.
You can use some fresh tomatoes in these natural beauty treatments.
- Hair: Prepare a hair mask by blending together 2 tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel. Apply this paste thoroughly on your scalp, cover your hair with a shower cap and wait for 30 minutes. Then, wash your hair as usual. Use this hair mask once a week.
- Skin: Mash a ripe tomato and spread its pulp on your face and neck area. Allow it to sit for 20 to 30 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Do this several times a week for healthy and glowing skin.
- Nails: Mix ½ cup of tomato juice and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a bowl. Soak your nails in this mixture for 10 to 15 minutes. Use this nail soak once or twice a week to enjoy strong nails.