When life gives you lemons, you must make lemonade. Well, apart from making your favorite lemonade, lemons can be used for various other purposes, too.
In addition to health and beauty remedies, there are many things you can do with lemons, which are all natural with no chemicals or additives and smell amazing.
The acidic nature of lemons and the grease-cutting oil contained in the peel makes this fruit a multifunctional agent.
Plus, lemons are readily available and are cost effective.
Here are 10 amazing lemon hacks you must know.
1. Washes Off Pesticides
Organic food products are not always readily available, plus they can be expensive. But eating commercially produced goods, such as fruits and vegetables, are not good for your health due to the pesticides with which they may have been treated.
Washing your fruits and vegetables in just plain tap water, at times, is not enough to get rid of the harmful pesticides. This is where you can make use of a lemon.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Add 1 cup of water to it and mix well.
- Transfer the solution to a spray bottle.
- Spray this solution on your produce, and wait for a couple of minutes.
- Finally, rinse well and wipe off your produce with paper towel.
Using this homemade fruit and vegetable wash will give you added peace of mind.
2. Cleans the Microwave
If your microwave is getting messy and needs a good cleaning, lemon is the secret ingredient to try. The acidic nature of lemons works as a good stain and grease remover and will help to get rid of all the buildup on the inside of your microwave.
It will even eliminate nasty odors.
- Fill a microwave-safe bowl with water.
- Add the juice of 1 to 2 lemons to the water.
- Also, put the lemon peels into the bowl.
- Put the bowl in the microwave and turn it on high power for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn off the microwave, but do not open the door for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Finally, open the door and wipe the inside with a washcloth.
With this easy lemon hack, you do not have to put off cleaning the microwave until next time.
3. Stops Rice from Sticking
Making rice is very easy, but for many keeping the rice from sticking together can be tough.
The fluffy texture of rice is important for many rice recipes. To get the perfect texture, lemon is what you need.
Simply add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to a pot of rice and water before bringing it to a boil. When the rice is done, you will not even taste the lemon in it.
As a bonus, the lemon juice will help keep your rice beautifully white, which makes your food look mouthwatering.
4. Prevents Hardening of Brown Sugar
To prevent brown sugar from hardening and clumping, it is important to store it in a cool area in a covered, airtight container once the box or bag has been opened. Proper storage helps avoid drying out and hardening of the sugar.
Along with using the proper containers to store your sugar, you can use a simple lemon hack to help prevent your brown sugar from hardening into a solid mass.
The next time you use and store your sugar, just add 2 small lemon peels or a whole lemon to the container or bag. You will not have the problem of clumping again.
5. Removes Limescale from Kettles
Limescale, a calcium compound common on kitchen appliances that come into regular contact with water, is a household nuisance. This hard-water deposit can be easily vanquished with the right cleaning agent and a bit of elbow grease! And the right ingredient is none other than a lemon.
The acidic nature of lemons helps loosen the limescale and even keeps the appliance smelling fresh and nice.
- Pour distilled water into the kettle, up to the “maximum water capacity”.
- Cut 2 or 3 lemons into pieces and add them to the kettle.
- Bring the water to a boil, then set it aside to cool.
- Once it’s cool, use a soft brush to clean the inside.
- Rinse it out 2 or 3 times with clean water.
- Wipe the inner surface with a clean cloth and leave it open to air-dry.
If any scale remains, simply repeat the process.
6. Keeps the Chopping Board Clean
It is important to keep your cutting board clean, as you are using it to do all your chopping and cutting for cooking. If your chopping board looks (or smells) bad, you can use lemon to make it as clean and fresh as a new one.
Lemon will remove all the stains and will even deal with bacteria as well as odors.
- Spread some coarse salt on the chopping board.
- Use a lemon wedge to rub the salt across the board.
- Make sure to give it a nice scrub, as hard as you can.
- Once you are done scrubbing, rinse it off well with lukewarm water.
Lemons can even be used to clean your cheese grater. Simply grate the fleshy side of a lemon on both sides of the grater.