Vaginal odor is a very common problem that most women have to deal with at least once or twice in their life.
Vaginal odor can be due to a number of reasons, such as bacterial growth, yeast infections, poor hygiene, hormonal changes, and sexually transmitted diseases.
If the problem is due to infection, there may be symptoms like redness, itching, burning and irritation in the vaginal area. A fishy odor down there, in particular, is caused by bacterial vaginosis.
No matter what the reason, vaginal odor can be very embarrassing. There are many natural remedies to help treat vaginal odor.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of vaginal odor.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Due to its antibacterial and antiseptic properties, apple cider vinegar can be used to fight vaginal odor. In fact, taking a bath with apple cider vinegar is one of the simplest ways to get rid of the bad odor. This will help fight off the toxins and bacteria that cause vaginal odor. It will also help restore the acidic quality of the vaginal flora.
- Mix two cups of apple cider vinegar in warm bath water. Soak in it for about 20 minutes. Follow this remedy several times a week to get quick results.
- You can also drink a glass of water mixed with one or two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar daily.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda is another ingredient that can be used to balance the pH level in your body. When the pH level is in balance, the problem of vaginal odor will dissipate.
- Add one-half cup of baking soda to your bathwater.
- Soak your lower body in it for about 20 minutes.
- Dry yourself thoroughly with a clean towel. This remedy will help fight a yeast infection and can help get rid of odor quickly.
Another good ingredient that can be used to treat vaginal odor is yogurt. Yogurt is rich in lactobacillus bacteria, which help fight candida infection (one of the most common causes of vaginal odor) and restore the normal vaginal pH level. Once the pH level is balanced, the vaginal odor will be gone.
- Eat two cups of unsweetened, plain yogurt daily. You can also take probiotic supplements.
- Another option is to soak a tampon in plain yogurt and insert it into your body. Leave it in for a few hours, and rinse the area thoroughly after removing the tampon.
4. White Vinegar
White vinegar has the power to neutralize odors by breaking down odor proteins. A white vinegar rinse will help eliminate vaginal odor. It will also help restore pH levels in the vagina.
- Mix one-half cup each of white vinegar and salt in lukewarm bath water.
- Soak in it for a few minutes.
- Follow this remedy several times a week.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains strong antifungal as well as antiseptic properties, and thus it can be used to get rid of unpleasant vaginal odor. It will help get rid of bacteria that are contributing to the problem.
- Add three drops of tea tree oil to a cup of water. Use this solution to rinse the affected area daily or several times a week.
- Alternatively, dip a tampon in olive oil and then put a little tea tree oil on it. Insert the tampon and leave it in for at least one hour. Do this several times a week.
Garlic is a natural antibiotic that can be great for dealing with vaginal infections as well as vaginal odor. The antifungal properties present in garlic will help fight a yeast infection and help your body get rid of bad bacteria.
- Eat garlic in raw or cooked form on a daily basis. You can eat one or two raw garlic cloves on an empty stomach with a glass of warm water. You can also add garlic cloves or its paste to your dishes and salads.
- Another option is to put a piece of garlic in the vagina for an hour or two. Do this daily or a few times a week until you get rid of the problem.