Sunburn blisters are raised, fluid-filled bumps on the skin caused by over exposure to the sun’s harmful UV rays. Sunburn blisters are uncomfortable and can even be extremely painful and itchy. Sometimes these blisters lead to skin infections that can cause more pain, swelling and even fever.
Sunburn blisters often can be treated with some simple and easy home remedies. Home treatment can help decrease pain, prevent infection and speed up the healing process.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of sunburn blisters.
You can reduce the inflammation and get significant relief from the pain of sunburn blisters by using cold compresses on the affected skin area.
- 1- Soak a towel in cold water, squeeze out the excess water, and put the towel on the affected area.
- 2- Repeat the process several times and soon you will feel relief from the burning sensation.
Never apply ice directly to sunburn blisters as it can worsen the condition. In addition, it is recommended that you not take warm baths for a few days. Bath in cool water instead. It will also help alleviate the pain.
Aloe vera is known to be a very effective natural cure for minor burn injuries including sunburn blisters. It will help reduce pain, re-hydrate burned skin and also speed up the healing process.
- 1- Cut a fresh aloe vera leaf down the middle to remove the gel.
- 2- Apply the gel on the sunburn blisters and allow it to dry and be absorbed by the skin.
If fresh aloe vera is not available, you can use an aloe vera gel available on the market.
Both white vinegar and apple cider vinegar are helpful in treating sunburn blisters.
- Dilute some vinegar with cold water, dip a soft cloth into the solution and apply it gently on the sunburn blisters. It will absorb the heat from the skin and relieve the burning sensation.
- You can also spray vinegar directly on the affected area to ease the pain.
- Another option is to mix equal amounts of honey and vinegar and apply the mixture on the affected area once daily to prevent infection.
Turmeric has antiseptic as well as healing properties that will alleviate pain and inflammation.
- Mix turmeric powder with some water to make a paste and apply it over the blisters, leaving it on for 10 minutes.
- Another option is to make a thick paste out of turmeric powder, barley and yogurt and apply it generously over the affected skin area. Leave it on for about a half an hour and then wash it gently with cold water.
Repeat the remedy of your choice once daily until the blisters are gone.
Tomato juice is highly beneficial for treating sunburn blisters. It can alleviate the constant burning sensation and also promote faster healing. There are many ways to make use of this remedy.
- Mix one-fourth cup of tomato juice or tomato paste with one and one-half cup of buttermilk. Apply the mixture on the affected skin area and leave it on for half an hour. Wash it off with cold water.
- Another option is to add two cups of tomato juice to your bath water and soak your body in it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can mix one mashed tomato with some crushed ice and gently apply it over the affected area to get immediate relief from the pain.
Raw potatoes help cool the skin, reduce the pain and also speed up the healing process.
- 1- Rinse one raw potato thoroughly and cut it into thick slices. Put them in a blender to make a paste.
- 2- Apply the paste to the blisters and allow it to dry on its own. After it dries, wash it off with cold water.
- 3- Repeat the process daily.
Along with potato, you can also apply slices of cucumber on the affected parts of the skin.
The chamomile herb can be very helpful in relieving sunburn blister symptoms.
- 1- Add a few drops of liquid chamomile extract to a bowl of cold water.
- 2- Dip a washcloth in the mixture, squeeze out the excess water and put the washcloth on the blistered area.
- 3- Repeat the process several times a day to get relief from pain and itchiness.
You can also soak a few chamomile tea bags in ice water and put the tea bags on the blisters for a cooling effect.
Oatmeal can be used a couple of different ways to treat sunburn blisters.
- Apply an oatmeal compress to the affected skin area and wash it off after a couple of minutes.
- Take an oatmeal bath. Fill a bathtub with cool water and add two to three cups of powdered oatmeal. Soak your body in this bath for half an hour or more. For better results, you can add rose petals to the bath water.
Lettuce is very beneficial in combating the pain and inflammation of sunburn blisters.
- Boil a few lettuce leaves in water for about 10 minutes. Strain out the leaves and put the water in the refrigerator for a few hours. Apply this cold water to the blisters several times a day.
- You can also put lettuce leaves in the refrigerator and put the cold leaves directly on the affected skin area. Repeat this several times a day until the blisters are completely gone.
Baking soda is alkaline in nature and can be very soothing to the skin. It also has antiseptic properties that can help relieve the itchy feeling that often occurs with sunburn blisters.
- Fill your bathtub with cold water and add one to two cups of baking soda. Mix it into the water well. Soak your body in the water for about a half an hour.
- For instant relief from the burning sensation, you can mix some baking soda in water and apply the paste over the affected areas.
- To speed the healing process, you can apply baking soda mixed with vinegar onto the blisters before going to bed.
These remedies will ease the pain and discomfort associated with sunburn blisters. But if your symptoms do not improve in a few days, seek medical help.