Diarrhea occurs when the digestive system is not functioning properly, resulting in frequent loose or watery stools, three or more times a day.
The main causes of diarrhea are viral infections, bacterial infections, consumption of contaminated food and water, anxiety, food intolerances, and intestinal diseases such as irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
Diarrhea can be accompanied by symptoms like abdominal pain, bloating, nausea and may cause complications like diarrhea.
It usually takes two to four days for diarrhea and its accompanying symptoms to disappear completely, depending upon the intensity of the problem.
You can combat diarrhea with a variety of natural, home remedies to fight the infection as well as provide relief from the symptoms.
Yogurt, especially the one with live bacterial cultures such as lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium is a great home remedy for diarrhea.
These live cultures help restore the ‘good’ bacteria in your intestine by producing lactic acid and thereby destroy the ‘bad’ bacteria that is causing the diarrhea.
In a 2009 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, researchers found that probiotics can help reduce antibiotic-associated diarrhea
Just two bowls of yogurt a day can produce noticeable relief. Add or eat a banana with your yogurt for added benefits.
Ginger is used in the treatment of food poisoning and can also help get rid of cramps and abdominal pain.
- Grate a small piece of ginger and add one teaspoon of honey. Eat the mixture to promote the release of gastric juices and improve digestion. Avoid drinking water immediately after eating it.
- You can also drink ginger tea two to three times a day to cure diarrhea. Slice one small piece of ginger and add them to one cup of water. Boil the water for a few minutes, strain it and add some honey before drinking it. If fresh ginger is not available, you can use powdered ginger from your spice rack.
3. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are highly recommended for treating diarrhea due to their high mucilage content. Mucilage provides a strong antidiarrheal effect.
- Chew one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds along with one tablespoon of yogurt.
- Alternatively, combine one-half teaspoon each of roasted fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds, add two tablespoons of yogurt and mix it well. Consume this mixture three times a day for quick relief from diarrhea.
4. Brown Rice
When you have diarrhea, you must eat brown rice. Brown rice contains B vitamins that help control the various symptoms of diarrhea. Make the rice by boiling half a cup of brown rice in three cups of water until it becomes extra soft. Then add a banana to the rice and eat it. The soft brown rice will be gentle on your system and help remove toxins from your body. The pectin present in banana will soak up excess water and will give you quick relief from diarrhea.
Carrots are good source of pectin and can help alleviate diarrhea.
- Drink fresh carrot juice several times a day to replenish vitamins and minerals lost due to diarrhea. You can add a few drops of lemon juice and some sugar or honey to sweeten the carrot juice to your taste.
- You can also cook and puree carrots and then eat it. To make the puree, blend soft cooked carrots in a blender with a little water. Eat half a cup of the puree several times a day.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another effective home cure for diarrhea is apple cider vinegar. It acts as an effective agent against bacteria that cause diarrhea. It is also a rich source of pectin, which helps soothe an irritated stomach.
- Add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Drink the solution with each meal until your diarrhea symptoms subside.