Diarrhea occurs when the digestive system is not functioning properly, resulting in frequent loose or liquid bowel movements. Diarrhea can be mild, acute or chronic. The main causes of diarrhea are viral infections but it can also be due to food poisoning, caffeine and excessive alcohol consumption. Some of the common symptoms of diarrhea are abdominal pain, slight fever, and pus or mucus in the stool.
It usually takes two to four days for symptoms related to diarrhea to disappear completely, depending upon the intensity of the problem. You can combat diarrhea with a variety of natural, home remedies.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of diarrhea.
Yogurt is a great home remedy for diarrhea, but not just any plain yogurt. You need to eat one that has live bacterial cultures such as lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium. These live cultures help restore the ‘good’ bacteria in your intestine by producing lactic acid and thereby destroy the ‘bad’ bacteria that is causing the diarrhea. Just two bowls of yogurt a day can produce noticeable relief. Add or eat a banana with your yogurt for added benefits.
Ginger used in the treatment of food poisoning and can also help get rid of cramps and abdominal pain.
- Grate a small piece of ginger and add one teaspoon of honey. Eat the mixture to improve your digestive process. Avoid drinking water immediately after eating it.
- You can also drink ginger tea two to three times a day to cure diarrhea. Add one small piece of ginger to one cup of water. Boil the water for a few minutes, strain it and add some honey before drinking it. If fresh ginger is not available, you can use powdered ginger from your spice rack.
3. Brown Rice
When you have diarrhea, you must eat brown rice. Brown rice contains B vitamins that help control the various symptoms of diarrhea. Make the rice by boiling half a cup of brown rice in three cups of water until it becomes extra soft. Then add a banana to the rice and eat it. The soft brown rice will be gentle on your system and help remove toxins from your body. The pectin present in banana will soak up excess water and will give you quick relief from diarrhea.
Carrots are good source of pectin and can help alleviate diarrhea.
- Drink fresh carrot juice several times a day to replenish vitamins and minerals lost due to diarrhea. You can add a few drops of lemon juice and some sugar or honey to sweeten the carrot juice to your taste.
- You can also cook and puree carrots and then eat it. To make the puree, blend soft cooked carrots in a blender with a little water. Eat half a cup of the puree several times a day.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another effective home cure for diarrhea is apple cider vinegar. It acts as an effective agent against bacteria that cause diarrhea. It is also a rich source of pectin, which helps soothe an irritated stomach.
- Add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Drink the solution with each meal until your diarrhea symptoms subside.
6. Clear Fluids
Diarrhea can cause your body to become dehydrated. Drink at least eight glasses of water along with coconut water and clear sodas (without caffeine) when suffering from diarrhea. For enhanced benefits, add half a teaspoon of sea salt to a glass of water and drink it two to three times a day. Sports drinks that do not contain caffeine are also a great way to replace lost minerals and vitamins. Stay away from coffee, alcohol and non-clear drinks like orange juice or tomato juice.