Blood blisters occur when the blood vessels under the skin’s surface get damaged. The blisters appear as red, fluid-filled bumps and tend to be very painful.
They are mainly caused by skin trauma such as forceful pinching or similar injury and typically occur on the hands and feet.
While most blood blisters are not serious and will eventually heal on their own, there are many effective home remedies to minimize the discomfort and prevent infection. Do not pop the blood blister because it can cause infection and delay healing.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of blood blisters. We would recommend the 1st remedy as the best, the effectiveness of the rest of the remedies may vary from one person to another.
The first thing you need to do when treating a blood blister is to apply an ice wrap. The cold temperature will make your blood vessels constrict, which will reduce swelling and stop the internal bleeding. If you don’t have ice, you can also use a bag of frozen peas or a cold spoon.
- Put some ice cubes in a plastic bag and wrap the bag in a small towel.
- Place the wrap on your blister for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the ice for some time and then apply it again.
- Repeat a few times immediately after the injury.
Note: Do not apply ice directly on your skin as it may cause an ice burn.
2. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel contains astringent tannins that not only help reduce pain but also help dry out blisters very quickly. It will also reduce inflammation.
- Dab a small amount of witch hazel extract on the blood blister and allow it to dry.
- Follow this remedy at least four times a day for one or two weeks.
Cucumbers contain silica, a trace mineral that strengthens the connective tissues in the skin. When applied on the blood blister, it will help reduce swelling, pain and inflammation.
- Simply cut a chilled cucumber into thick slices and put a slice over the blister for a few minutes. Repeat the process several times a day for a few days until the blister is gone.
- You can also drink a glass of fresh cucumber juice every day.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory properties that can be useful in treating blood blisters at home. It will also have a cooling effect and alleviate pain.
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel on the affected area daily for a few days. If aloe vera gel is not available, you can use aloe vera juice that you can easily find in the market.
- You can also mix aloe vera gel and vitamin E oil in equal amounts. Apply it gently on the blister and allow it to dry on its own.
Sandalwood is often used in treating various skin problems. Sandalwood will quickly absorb the heat away from the blood blister and speed up the healing process. It will also ease the pain and inflammation.
- Mix some sandalwood powder and rose water to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste over the affected skin and allow it to dry on its own.
- Rinse the area with cold water.
- Follow this remedy several times a day.
Turmeric, known for its therapeutic and medicinal properties, is often used to treat skin problems such as minor burns, suntans and blisters. It is antiseptic in nature and will help prevent infection.
- Make a paste of one teaspoon of turmeric powder and enough rose water or honey. Apply it on the blister two or three times a day.
- You can also add one teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of warm milk and have it before going to bed.