A fat lip can be embarrassing and painful. It may be accompanied by bleeding and cuts, and can cause difficulty eating, drinking, talking or even opening your mouth.
The swelling usually occurs due to some kind of trauma to the soft tissue of the lips. Other causes include extreme weather conditions, dryness, nutritional deficiencies, a viral infection, dehydration, an insect bite, an allergic reaction and using poor quality lip care products.
You can use over-the-counter or prescribed medicines to treat a swollen lip. But there are some excellent home remedies as well that will help get rid of it quickly.
In case your swollen lip is caused by an allergy, a medical condition, or some serious injury, do consult your doctor.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of a swollen lip fast.
1. Cold Compress
As soon as you notice your lip swelling, apply a cold compress. In fact, this is one of the best ways to help reduce the swelling caused by lip piercing.
- Wrap some ice cubes in a paper towel or washcloth. You can also use a bag of frozen peas or a cold spoon.
- Press the cold compress gently over the swollen area for 10 minutes, take a break and repeat.
- Do this until the swelling goes down and you get relief from the pain and discomfort.
Note: Do not apply ice directly on your lip as it can result in soreness or mild frost bite.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel has several anti-inflammatory properties that are very effective in reducing swelling as well as the burning sensation from a swollen lip. This remedy is best for swelling caused by insect or mosquito bites or some kind of allergic reaction.
- Apply freshly extracted aloe vera gel on the affected lip.
- Massage the area gently so the aloe vera is absorbed into the lip.
- Repeat two or three times a day.
3. Black Tea Bag
Black tea contains compounds known as tannins, which have excellent astringent qualities that can reduce swelling in the soft tissues of the lips.
- Soak a black tea bag in warm water for about 10 minutes.
- Remove it from the water and allow it to cool.
- Gently apply it over the swollen lip for 10 minutes.
- Repeat several times a day for quick results.
Honey has natural healing as well as antibacterial properties to effectively and quickly treat a swollen lip. It will keep your lips well moisturized, prevent infection and reduce inflammation, swelling and pain.
- Dip a cotton ball in one teaspoon of honey.
- Apply it on the affected lip.
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse the area with cold water.
- Repeat two or three times a day.
Turmeric powder has antiseptic as well as healing properties to treat a swollen lip. The antiseptic properties will also prevent infection. You can make an herbal ointment with turmeric power.
- Mix a little turmeric power with one teaspoon of fuller’s earth and enough cold water to make a paste.
- Apply it over the affected area.
- Allow it to dry for some time and then clean the lips with lukewarm water.
- Repeat twice daily to get rid of pain and swelling.
6. Baking Soda
Baking soda is also highly recommended to treat a swollen lip caused by an allergic reaction, a fever blister, or an insect or mosquito bite. It will help reduce the pain as well as inflammation.
- Make a thick paste by mixing three teaspoons of baking soda with one teaspoon of water.
- Apply the paste on the affected lip.
- Leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse it off with cold water.
- Repeat a few times a day until the swelling subsides.